STrib: Land of 10,000 Big Men? Minnesota centers making impact near and far

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Marcus:

Like Oturu, Hurt and Nnaji are attracting pro scouts this season. They’re already projected to be picked in June’s NBA draft. Nnaji is rated the highest of the trio, a potential lottery selection.

If those three local big guys leave the college ranks after this season, there are more Minnesotans to follow in the frontcourt at major college programs. You’ll see Dawson Garcia (Prior Lake) team up at Marquette with Theo John (Champlin Park). Dain Dainja (Park Center) will help Baylor reload.

And, of course, the Badgers like what they’re getting out of Reuvers inside. So they added Ben Carlson (East Ridge) and Steven Crowl (Eastview).

The 6-10 Oturu has vivid memories of facing the 6-11 Reuvers in high school.

“We played him twice in the same year,” Oturu said. “We lost the regular-season matchup, but we won the state tournament one. They were some really good games.”

Those battles have continued into college. Oturu and the Gophers beat Wisconsin 70-52 earlier this month at Williams Arena, and the rematch comes March 1 in Madison. Oturu will again face Thompson and the Hoosiers three days later at Indiana’s Assembly Hall.

Add it all up, and as Minnesota continues to send bigs to the college ranks, we’ll have to start calling it the Land of 10,000 Big Men.

Go Gophers!!

I understand Minnesota native players wanting to leave home to play bb, and/or wanting to play for a Natl Title and hence going to some place like Duke or UNC or UK or Gonzaga, or not being willing to pass up going to a school like Stanford, but anyone born and raised in Minnesota who goes to play for Wisconsin or Iowa just doesn't make sense to me, not one bit? Away from home but close enough for parents to visit? Close enough to drive home on weekends in the offseason? I know they are just kids and it's a free education they are being offered, but if they are getting offers from UW and/or Iowa, there has to be better schools or equally good schools also offering them, right? The word "traitor" is stuck in my mind, but I resist the temptation to label these kids as such. But it's a different time nowadays, it seems in times past, people were more loyal? Or am I just imagining that? I don't know, just seems like too many kids(or their parents) act in ways it's hard to respect sometimes? Too much money in and around sports now?

WI does a good job of hosting white suburban basketball players.

Top Bottom