STrib: Kill has team get back to basics

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Joe:

Coming off Saturday’s 10-7 win over Kent State, the Gophers have hunkered down, looking for answers on how to kick-start the offense. Coach Jerry Kill has involved the players in the brainstorming sessions.

“There’s a time to yell at somebody, and there’s a time to teach, and right now is a time to teach,” Kill said. “They feel bad enough as it is.”

Kill met with the offensive position groups Sunday and asked for player input.

“It’s kind of like talking to your kid,” Kill said. “You’ve got to figure out why he’s struggling in math, so you just talk to him. We’ve got to work together to fix it.”

http://www.startribune.com/gophers-notes-kill-has-team-get-back-to-basics/328980871/

Go Gophers!!

I get the sense that right now, too many players on the Gophers offense are thinking, not reacting. That seems especially true for Leidner. You can practically see the wheels turning as he tries to decide what to do on each play.

If you remember back, the Vikings simplified things for Duante Culpepper in his first year as starter - cut down on the number of reads he had to make, and made it easier for him to just go out there and play. (of course, it did help to have Randy Moss running fly patterns....).

I think that's what the Gopher offense needs right now. Distill everything down to the absolute basics, so the players can stop thinking, and just react.

I would not be surprised to see a much better offensive performance on Saturday. 30 points +.

I get the sense that right now, too many players on the Gophers offense are thinking, not reacting. That seems especially true for Leidner. You can practically see the wheels turning as he tries to decide what to do on each play.

If you remember back, the Vikings simplified things for Duante Culpepper in his first year as starter - cut down on the number of reads he had to make, and made it easier for him to just go out there and play. (of course, it did help to have Randy Moss running fly patterns....).

I think that's what the Gopher offense needs right now. Distill everything down to the absolute basics, so the players can stop thinking, and just react.

I would not be surprised to see a much better offensive performance on Saturday. 30 points +.

So instead of running between the tackles every play keep it in between the guards ;-)

I expect that Ohio will stuff the box and dare the Gophers to pass.

Sent from my XT1031 using Tapatalk

Way out on a limb with this prediction.
I know, it was pretty edgy, wasn't it? What I'm not certain is if the Gophers are going to try to run anyway, or accept the dare and try to make them pay with the pass.

Sent from my XT1031 using Tapatalk

What I was trying to say (sorry I didn't make it simple enough.......) is this:

If (for example), a lineman has different options on a running play - if this, then block down on the tackle, if that, then kick out on the linebacker - just tell the player - block this guy! don't ask the players to sort out options at the line and make a snap decision - give them one assignment and tell them to play that assignment full-speed. eliminate the indecision. Same thing with the QB (whoever it is.....) give them basic assignments - on pass plays, check one read and make a decision. emphasize quick throws. maybe cut down on the deep routes or deep sideline routes that take longer to develop. if the 1st read is open, throw it. if he's not open, check down to the FB or TE, but do it quick. eliminate the indecision.

the simplest play in the world can work if it is executed properly.

What I was trying to say (sorry I didn't make it simple enough.......) is this:

If (for example), a lineman has different options on a running play - if this, then block down on the tackle, if that, then kick out on the linebacker - just tell the player - block this guy! don't ask the players to sort out options at the line and make a snap decision - give them one assignment and tell them to play that assignment full-speed. eliminate the indecision. Same thing with the QB (whoever it is.....) give them basic assignments - on pass plays, check one read and make a decision. emphasize quick throws. maybe cut down on the deep routes or deep sideline routes that take longer to develop. if the 1st read is open, throw it. if he's not open, check down to the FB or TE, but do it quick. eliminate the indecision.

the simplest play in the world can work if it is executed properly.

+1 Well stated!

They the Gophers are playing way to uptight on offense and worrying about making mistakes, to the point where they could pinch a nickle with there butts and a quarter would spit out.
Media attention and the start Croft threads by Souhan are not helping matters, and everyone knows there are raised expectations.
This is football, football is supposed to be fun but instead we get fifteen threads about how our QB is not a D1 QB, or our O-line stinks, or we can't run the ball. I get being critical, nobody likes smoke blown up your butt when your not doing well but piling on doesn't help either.

These kids need to let all of this BS go, trust their coaches know what they are doing, as we need to thump Ohio and get the Gophers guys feeling good about their offense again. Go Gophers

Top Bottom