STrib: John Hankinson, former Gophers quarterback, dies at 77

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per STrib:

John Hankinson, one of the top quarterbacks in Gophers football history and the father of three former Gophers hockey players, died early Friday evening.

Hankinson, who lived in Edina, was 77.

Hankinson, a three-sport star at Edina-Morningside High School, was described by the Minneapolis Tribune in 1965 as the “finest marksman Minnesota football has ever known.”

He started for the Gophers in 1964 and 1965 and held 10 school passing records by the end of his senior season.

One of the highlights as a senior came when he directed the Gophers on an 80-yard scoring drive in the game’s final 77 seconds to rally the Gophers to a 27-22 victory over Northwestern at Memorial Stadium.

Hankinson, who capped the drive with a 1-yard run on fourth down, completed all seven of his passes on the drive to prompt the Minneapolis Tribune’s Bill McGrane to write “It was, for this lean senior who brings a poise bordering on dignity to the quarterback position, a career high point.”

Go Gophers!!

Man, John was a honorable, good man! Sorry to hear of this news. My prayers and condolences go out to his family. Dang.... sad news.

A class act who gave so much to the Gophers. Condolences to his family.

Some of my earliest Gopher memories at Memorial Stadium are of John throwing long downfield to Kent Kramer and Kenny Last.

I was at Dane Cty Coliseum in '91 for a Gopher/Badger puck game and sat near the parents section. John Hankinson got tossed from the arena along with the father of another Gopher player.

Condolences to the Hankinson family.

Played against John in high school. RIP to a great Gopher!

Top Bottom