STrib: It's unanimous among Pinstripe Bowl coaches: More playoff teams is a good thing

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Randy:

College Football Playoff officials announced Thursday that the playoff will expand from four to 12 teams beginning in the 2024 season. Both coaches in the Pinstripe Bowl gave the move a big thumbs-up.

"Change is inevitable, change is healthy,'' Gophers coach P.J. Fleck said Tuesday during a news conference for the Dec. 29 game at Yankee Stadium. "You can't grow if you're not changing.''

Added Syracuse coach Dino Babers, "If you embrace that change, you won't be a dinosaur, OK? You won't be extinct.''

Under the new format, the top four conference champions in the CFP rankings will receive a first-round bye, while the remaining eight play four games at the home of the higher-seeded team. One spot will be filled by the Power 5 conference champion outside of the top four, while the top team from the Group of Five conferences will take another spot. That leaves six at-large berths, and Fleck is happy to see the chance for more teams to make the field.

"This allows teams like the University of Minnesota, like Syracuse, in my opinion, to be involved in the hunt,'' Fleck said.

Go Gophers!!

Change is great.
But a 12-team playoff is ridiculously too large for determine the FBS champion. And the game needs to expand into August … NOT January.

Change is great.
But a 12-team playoff is ridiculously too large for determine the FBS champion. And the game needs to expand into August … NOT January.
Expanding into August I'm guessing fewer students attending. Expanding also meaning more expensive traveling to attend the games with the 12-game format.

For programs like MN and Syracuse, the change is great. In this new format, the Gophers were a Wisconsin win away from making the playoffs.

Change is great.
I think it's fine.

The only thing differently I would have done is make the four first round games be all at neutral sites and make them be four bowl games.

I'd take the NY6 and add two more of the biggest bowls. The original BCS 4 would be permanent quarter-final sites, with Rose always getting its long exclusive afternoon slot on NYD. Cotton, Peach, and the two additional would be permanent first round sites.

Would have the semi-finals and final all at the same site, so three games total in 8 days, during the usual winter break for semester schools. Bid out each year.

I think it's fine.

The only thing differently I would have done is make the four first round games be all at neutral sites and make them be four bowl games.

I'd take the NY6 and add two more of the biggest bowls. The original BCS 4 would be permanent quarter-final sites, with Rose always getting its long exclusive afternoon slot on NYD. Cotton, Peach, and the two additional would be permanent first round sites.

Would have the semi-finals and final all at the same site, so three games total in 8 days, during the usual winter break for semester schools. Bid out each year.
No way. Make southern teams travel north once in awhile instead of being able to play in their backyard all the time. Plus having the first round at the higher seed, it keeps more regular season games meaningful.

No way. Make southern teams travel north once in awhile instead of being able to play in their backyard all the time. Plus having the first round at the higher seed, it keeps more regular season games meaningful.
I'd rather give players and fans a bowl experience, in better weather, than holding a grudge against southern teams for never having to play in cold weather.

The G5 "winner" isn't ever going to get to go to a bowl game. It will just be a home game at whatever higher seed they get paired with (probably #5 most years), lose, then no bowl game.

Your last sentence makes no sense, vs it being labeled as bowl game. They're both exactly the same bracket.

No reason a twelve team playoff game couldn’t be hosted in Minneapolis, Indy, Detroit, or Chicago if the really do dome Soldier Field.

Should be geographically spread like March Madness.

I'd rather give players and fans a bowl experience, in better weather, than holding a grudge against southern teams for never having to play in cold weather.

The G5 "winner" isn't ever going to get to go to a bowl game. It will just be a home game at whatever higher seed they get paired with (probably #5 most years), lose, then no bowl game.

Your last sentence makes no sense, vs it being labeled as bowl game. They're both exactly the same bracket.
You don't think having a home game is an advantage? If they're all on neutral fields, it doesn't matter as much if you're the 7th seed or 10th seed.

If it were up to me, I'd designate two bowl games for the four teams that lose the first round so they still get to go somewhere.

"It's unanimous among Pinstripe Bowl coaches"

Yes, according to the story, both coaches liked it. Even though in their best seasons, 2019 for Fleck's Gophers and 2017 for Syracuse, they wouldn't have gotten in.

I have always been an advocate for 7. 5 P5 champs, top rated G5 champ and then top non champ team. My goal is for teams to want to win every game, wins/losses matter, and to schedule tough. This year is a great example, Mich gets dinged because they scheduled 3 cupcakes in the non-conf, they get hurt by having to play 1 more game, where UGA took on Oregon, that gets them a bye GOOD. Also all these games mean something, in a 12 team, USC lost last game, OSU lost their only real challenge, Bama lost 2 no conf title, Tenn lost 2 and their QB, they all get in. I think thats rewarding fine but not greatness.

On another note, all of these coaches push for more playoff spots no matter the sport, it helps them keep their job! Its not about the product its about their wallet. PJ sneaks in as the 12 seed one year, cripes he could go 3-36 the next 3 years and not be on the hot seat REMEMBER THAT PLAYOFF BERTH!!??! Or the coach who wants 96 teams in the basketball tourney, yah harder to get fired when you well hey were in the tourney 4 of the last 6 years! Who cares if you were at 19 seed as lost in rd 1 each time WE MADE THE TOURNEY YOU CAN'T FIRE ME! I get pretty skeptical when I hear expansion talk, it is almost never about the kids/sport, its about $$, almost 100% of the time.

You don't think having a home game is an advantage? If they're all on neutral fields, it doesn't matter as much if you're the 7th seed or 10th seed.
I see your point now.

My only counter is that there is going to be almost no way to know where exactly you'll end up within the top 5-12 slots at the end of the year. Look how much movement there was this year.

Teams are going to be fighting just as hard to win every game in the regular season, just to get into the top 12.

Yes, agree, on paper if they somehow knew a win would guarantee them a top 4 (bye) or a top 8 (first round home game) seed, then what you say makes sense.

If it were up to me, I'd designate two bowl games for the four teams that lose the first round so they still get to go somewhere.
That would be great. Don't think they'll do that

My issue with the 12-team proposal is timing. There are still multiple weeks of dead time to satisfy the Jan 1ish bowl games. It goes too late. FCS already has two playoff rounds completed.

My wish for the playoff was an expansion but rather than 6 autos and 6 at largest

10 autos that meet a certain stipulation (top 25 of some metric) and 2+ at larges.

This year:
Autos (8)
Georgia
Michigan
Clemson
Utah
Kansas state
Tulane
Troy
UTSA

At larges (4)
TCU
Ohio state
Alabama
Tennessee

This makes more games matter.
It also allows for 10 unbeaten conference champions and an unbeaten at large to all make it regardless of if someone is in a bad conference. That is a 12 that would never have to be expanded (unless 3 more FBS conferences are created)

With 6 conference champs I would’ve preferred an 8 team playoffs. The fewer at larges the better for keeping regular season important.

I think 99% of players and coaches wouldn’t want to go play again after a first round playoff lost
But maybe I’m wrong

I think 99% of players and coaches wouldn’t want to go play again after a first round playoff lost
But maybe I’m wrong
And fans. Wonder how many tickets home teams will have to allot for visiting teams? If they pay to go to the playoff game and lose, they aren't likely to go to a meaningless bowl.

I like that only conference champs are eligible for the bye weeks. They played an extra game and should be rewarded for winning it. It messes up the seeding, but it makes Conference Champ games meaningful.

I like that only conference champs are eligible for the bye weeks. They played an extra game and should be rewarded for winning it. It messes up the seeding, but it makes Conference Champ games meaningful.
Yeah I like that. It also means that The Michigan vs Ohio State game is still huge.

I wish they’d say top 8 conference champs and the at larges are automatic 9-12 seeds.

But maybe I’m wrong
Maybe but I don't see it as much different than a USC or Alabama this year. USC essentially lost a 1st round game when the lost the Pac 12 championship. They'll still play in the bowl game.

Maybe but I don't see it as much different than a USC or Alabama this year. USC essentially lost a 1st round game when the lost the Pac 12 championship. They'll still play in the bowl game.
To me the difference is USC are playing a one off bowl game a month from the end of the season

Your suggestion seems like a bowl game 7-10 days after a loss that was the pinnacle of your season

Maybe the timing could help it. I just don’t see it

Change is always great when it's announced, but...

Polls were started back in the 1930s to determine who the champ was. How did that go?

BSC was started to put the two best teams in a championship. How did that go?

The 4-team playoff was started to ensure an undefeated #3 team would have a shot at the championship. How did that go?

Point being, we will never be satisfied. By the 2nd year (or maybe 1st) of the playoff the #13 team who was left out will be on ESPN crying for further expansion. Even in basketball, 68 teams is not apparently enough.

To me the difference is USC are playing a one off bowl game a month from the end of the season

Your suggestion seems like a bowl game 7-10 days after a loss that was the pinnacle of your season

Maybe the timing could help it. I just don’t see it
I'm not sure when they are planning to play the first round once it's at 12 teams but I'm guessing it'll be a week or two after the conference championships. That would still give 2-3 weeks before their bowl game.

I'm not sure when they are planning to play the first round once it's at 12 teams but I'm guessing it'll be a week or two after the conference championships. That would still give 2-3 weeks before their bowl game.
"The first round of the 2024 playoff will take place the week ending Saturday, Dec. 21." Assume Friday the 20th and Saturday the 21st

"The first round of the 2024 playoff will take place the week ending Saturday, Dec. 21." Assume Friday the 20th and Saturday the 21st
Yeah. So unless you are playing this thing mid January it’s a pretty quick turn around including holidays in there

If you lose dec 21 you’re going to want to take 5-8 days off and likely just be done with the season

Yeah. So unless you are playing this thing mid January it’s a pretty quick turn around including holidays in there

If you lose dec 21 you’re going to want to take 5-8 days off and likely just be done with the season
That's going to be the extreme situation as that will be the latest the conference championships will ever be (Dec 7). That year that would still be 10 days between games. This year it would be 14.

I know it's not going to happen but I don't think it's a big deal. Teams turn around to play in a week for the conference championships.

per Randy:

College Football Playoff officials announced Thursday that the playoff will expand from four to 12 teams beginning in the 2024 season. Both coaches in the Pinstripe Bowl gave the move a big thumbs-up.

"Change is inevitable, change is healthy,'' Gophers coach P.J. Fleck said Tuesday during a news conference for the Dec. 29 game at Yankee Stadium. "You can't grow if you're not changing.''

Added Syracuse coach Dino Babers, "If you embrace that change, you won't be a dinosaur, OK? You won't be extinct.''

Under the new format, the top four conference champions in the CFP rankings will receive a first-round bye, while the remaining eight play four games at the home of the higher-seeded team. One spot will be filled by the Power 5 conference champion outside of the top four, while the top team from the Group of Five conferences will take another spot. That leaves six at-large berths, and Fleck is happy to see the chance for more teams to make the field.

"This allows teams like the University of Minnesota, like Syracuse, in my opinion, to be involved in the hunt,'' Fleck said.

Go Gophers!!
Unfortunately, it creates a tournament in which an outlier might win, while it also downgrades the regular season by doing so. Also, placing conference champions regardless of poll ranking will anger many fans, as will having four teams exempt from the first round. It will also destroy traditional ties to the bowls if bowls are used; and if they are not used, they will be crowded out by all the playoff games. IMO, a 4 team playoff was perfect. Again, it's money, money.

Warren now pushing for quarterfinals to be on campus or team's choice of stadium in 2026. This likely forces Notre Dame to a conference or they would never be a top 4 seed and be on the road in quarterfinal, even if #1 Seed. Warren also has plans for if UCLA is denied the B1G by Cal regents. I assume ND joins if UCLA isn't allowed.

Top Bottom