STrib: Gophers QB recruit Drake Lindsey fires four touchdown passes with P.J. Fleck watching him

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Per Randy:

P.J. Fleck had never been to Fayetteville, Ark., to watch quarterback Drake Lindsey play. But the Gophers coach was so impressed from film alone that he extended the strong-armed Class of 2024 prospect a scholarship offer this past spring.

It didn't take long for the 6-foot-5 Lindsey to commit to the Gophers after visiting Minneapolis. Fleck and co-offensive coordinator Greg Harbaugh flew to Arkansas earlier this month to see Lindsey getting off to a hot start to his senior season.

"I was super happy they got to come watch," Lindsey told the Star Tribune. "They just found out about me in early April this year, so they hadn't got to watch me in person."

Lindsey, who had four touchdown passes with Fleck on the sidelines, has been lights-out throwing the ball during his team's 3-0 start. He's thrown for 820 yards and 11 TDs on 62% pass completions, but the work he does leading into the game is just as impressive, his coach says.

Go Gophers!!

How is this kid only a 3 star? Good size, good stats. Maybe he is slow. I'll dig deeper.

I’ve talked about him a little bit on thread I started for 24 commits. I’m by no means a professional but I’ve managed to watch a lot of his games since they live stream on YT. I’ll spare you the full report but he’s got impressive arm strength, plus size/athleticism, and by all accounts, the IQ and personality you look for in a QB.

One thing is his stats though. In the two-ish games I’ve watched I’ve seen his receivers drop balls that hit them right in the hands. Could he have thrown them a bit better? Sure, but conservatively speaking he should have at least 2 more TDs and and other 100-200 yards. His RBs also seem pretty good so he doesn’t always have to put the game on his back.

88 seems like a fair rating for now honestly but I could see him getting to that 90 range by seasons end. His rating really doesn’t matter but it does validate his hard work/ability and gives positive optics to class so they can sell that in recruiting.

Here is a clip of Lindsey's Grandpa Jim when he was with the Vikings (at the 16:42 mark). The Vikings owned the Lions during the 70's and always seemed to find a way to win. If you've never seen NFL football at the old Met, you will be interested in seeing players running into retaining walls and goalposts, two back settings, and a number of things you might not see in today's NFL.

The kid can toss the old football around. I can't wait to see him in maroon and gold. Hopefully we open the offense up a bit before he is QB1.

From what vantage point does coach Fleck watch the game from? Up in a coaches booth or on the sideline, just curious.

Top Bottom