STrib: Gophers' passing struggles are especially aggravating for their fans

Yeah that is my point. I guess I didn’t word it well. Can we beat good teams by being hyper conservative? I personally don’t think so, unless we recruit better. We were able to have success with passing against good teams, but they were still overall run oriented. Having stud receivers helps. I liked the run heavy but still could pass of 2019. Don’t like what I’ve seen the last 3 years and don’t think the Gophers can win against better teams being ultra conservative. I think they need to get that passing game more up to par, some how, some way. Easier said than done.
Now we agree. We had a great rushing attack in 2019 and ran more than 55% of the time. But our passing attack produced significantly more yardage and many more TDs than the run game. It was a balanced, dangerous offense that placed lots of stress on opposing defenses. But that is gone now.

I think SON or somebody already said it but, with very high run orientation (predictable offense; lack of explosive plays) we can beat teams that we can physically overpower; and we can win toss-up games where we get ahead meaningfully and play excellent defense. (Don’t play good defense, however, and you get a Northwestern debacle). But we lose toss-up games where we fall behind by more than 10 points, and we are destined to get our ears boxed by highly-talented teams who play with resolve. That is our ceiling with PJ’s current heavy run bias offensive style.

Now, with PJ’s style (abandon pass game early in season, if cracks show up), we still get a decent number of wins, which most fans like. And we might actually get more wins in a run-oriented scheme than if we passed a lot, but futilely. But the football is atavistic and often boring. And our passing attack, rusting away in the corner, simply won’t be there to work a miracle when we suddenly need it—when we are well behind in the second half. That’s my severely under-informed opinion, anyway!

Now we agree. We had a great rushing attack in 2019 and ran more than 55% of the time. But our passing attack produced significantly more yardage and many more TDs than the run game. It was a balanced, dangerous offense that placed lots of stress on opposing defenses. But that is gone now.

I think SON or somebody already said it but, with very high run orientation (predictable offense; lack of explosive plays) we can beat teams that we can physically overpower; and we can win toss-up games where we get ahead meaningfully and play excellent defense. (Don’t play good defense, however, and you get a Northwestern debacle). But we lose toss-up games where we fall behind by more than 10 points, and we are destined to get our ears boxed by highly-talented teams who play with resolve. That is our ceiling with PJ’s current heavy run bias offensive style.

Now, with PJ’s style (abandon pass game early in season, if cracks show up), we still get a decent number of wins, which most fans like. And we might actually get more wins in a run-oriented scheme than if we passed a lot, but futilely. But the football is atavistic and often boring. And our passing attack, rusting away in the corner, simply won’t be there to work a miracle when we suddenly need it—when we are well behind in the second half. That’s my severely under-informed opinion, anyway!
So, do you have any idea about what can be done to alter your opinion on October 15, 2023 with six remaining games on the schedule? Can Fleck make wholesale changes in his philosophy and offensive game planning in the next two months?

Big changes sound more like a three year or four year ordeal of what kinds of players to recruit and assemble to do battle in the Big Ten Conference as it evolves.

Or is this your assessment of what “…row the boat…” football ultimately is? Do you believe that Coach Fleck’s plan to pound the rock in order maximize the number of wins with his current team is the most logical approach, or should he follow the lead of Wisconsin and pay lip service to the concept of wanting to rely less on the run, spread things out and throw the ball around the Camp more starting this season?

The Badger coach has his work cut out for him if the game with Iowa on October 14th is any indication of his changes since he took over things in Madison.

They need a QB -- or AK needs to progress significantly.

So, do you have any idea about what can be done to alter your opinion on October 15, 2023 with six remaining games on the schedule? Can Fleck make wholesale changes in his philosophy and offensive game planning in the next two months?

Big changes sound more like a three year or four year ordeal of what kinds of players to recruit and assemble to do battle in the Big Ten Conference as it evolves.

Or is this your assessment of what “…row the boat…” football ultimately is? Do you believe that Coach Fleck’s plan to pound the rock in order maximize the number of wins with his current team is the most logical approach, or should he follow the lead of Wisconsin and pay lip service to the concept of wanting to rely less on the run, spread things out and throw the ball around the Camp more starting this season?

The Badger coach has his work cut out for him if the game with Iowa on October 14th is any indication of his changes since he took over things in Madison.
I think it would be a mistake to abandon what they are good at. However, they badly need to work on the passing game to have some sort of competence with it. It’s only going to get tougher moving forward next year and beyond. Lack of passing game is going to make this program a lower tier bowl game every year because there will be a lot more teams that will/can be more athletic than the Gophers with the way things have been recruiting wise.

Top Bottom