STrib: Gophers legend Willie Burton reflects on his jersey retirement and the program

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Marcus:

Q: What was that moment like when your No. 34 was raised into the rafters?

A: What hit me was the fact that all the hard work, all the sacrifice, all the drills, all the videos, all the injuries, all of the doubt [was worth it.] You’re talking about winning 18 games in two years. You’re talking about turning it around like that. That’s the reality. [No one would believe if] I said to you a team that was 9-19 for two years and the next year, they’re going to make it to the Sweet 16 and be known as the nation’s giant killers and knock off top-ranked teams. I think that’s what really came into play. No one knew how hard it was for us.

Q: How did you feel being able to celebrate the moment with Haskins and your former teammates?

A: Yeah, Willie Burton did a few things that were different in some statistical areas. But at the end of the day we were all out there together. They set screens; they passed the ball. When I decided to break the play, they didn’t fight me. They believed I knew what I was doing, and they supported me. I made a decision outside of maybe what the coach said, and they supported it. I’m up there, but we’re up there.

Go Gophers!!

Top Bottom