STrib: Gophers, Lakers, Gusties great Whitey Skoog dies at 92

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per STrib:

Myer “Whitey” Skoog, who starred for the Golden Gophers and the Minneapolis Lakers before going on to a renowned career as the golf coach at Gustavus Adolphus College, died Thursday morning, his son Dave Skoog said.

Skoog, 92, had been living in a care facility in St. Peter, Minn.

The son of Norwegian immigrants, Skoog was a basketball star at Brainerd High School and the University of Minnesota, where he earned All-America and All-Big Ten honors.

He signed with the Lakers in 1952 and played six seasons with the team, winning two NBA titles before injuries ended his career at age 29.

Skoog was an early practitioner of the jump shot in an era when most players used the two-handed set shot. Basketball historians, while not agreeing on who was the first jump shooter, place Skoog among the pioneers.

He coached both basketball and golf at Gustavus, but it was golf where he won coaching acclaim. In his 22 years as coach, the Gusties were a powerhouse, winning 17 Minnesota Intercollegiate Athletic Conference titles, including 13 in a row. In 2014, Skoog was elected to the Golf Coaches Association of America Hall of Fame.

Skoog was recently interviewed by the Star Tribune for a story on the old Minneapolis Lakers. Asked whether playing in the early NBA was fun or more like a job, Skoog smiled.

“I’d like to have had that job the rest of my life,” he said.

http://www.startribune.com/gophers-lakers-gusties-great-whitey-skoog-dies-at-92/508108192/

Go Gophers!!

I have fond memories of seeing the legend on campus during my four years "On The Hill". He will be missed.

A true Minnesotan who was born and raised in Minnesota and took his talents to the U. Enjoy the heavens sir!

per Shooter:

Myer “Whitey” Skoog, the Brainerd grad best known for his basketball prowess with the Gophers and Minneapolis Lakers and who died last week at age 92 in St. Peter, Minn., also was an accomplished men’s golf coach at Gustavus Adolphus. Three of his Gusties teams finished second at the NAIA national tournament.

Hall of fame former Vikings coach Bud Grant, who turns 92 next month, was a Gophers and Lakers teammate of Skoog.

“I stopped at some place in Brainerd (Skoog’s home town) once and they had a whole wall of his accomplishments,” Grant said. “He was a great golfer, and he had a great competitive spirit about him. He was one of the great athletes the University of Minnesota ever had.”

https://www.twincities.com/2019/04/06/3329852/

Go Gophers!!

Top Bottom