STrib: Gophers hoops headed into eight-game Big Ten meat grinder

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Marcus:

In their first eight conference games, the 6-0 Gophers face six of the seven Big Ten teams currently ranked in the Associated Press Top 25, including Iowa and Michigan twice in that span.

"It's a huge challenge for us," Pitino said of maybe the most difficult stretch he's faced to begin the Big Ten season in his eight years coaching the program.

It starts Tuesday night at No. 13 Illinois, which is led by All-America candidates Ayo Dosunmu and Kofi Cockburn. The Illini (4-2), who won at Duke last week, were favored by media in the preseason to win the Big Ten, arguably the best conference in college basketball.

"They've got a great identity of toughness," Pitino said. "They're physical. They've got great weapons and they're well coached. So, there's a reason why people picked them to be on top of the Big Ten."

Go Gophers!!

No. I believe in working smart, never being outworked and maximizing efficiency.
Badger honk that you are! ;)

True Gopher fans believe in working dumb, dribbling the ball flat and being forced into ill-advised low-percentage shots late in the shot clock only if you cannot throw the ball away!

No. I believe in working smart, never being outworked and maximizing efficiency.
"Maximizing efficiency" is that Wisconsin-ese for clutch, grab and trip? :cool:

Either way, I don't see a lot of that Pitino teams.

They are known by coaches for great defense but not holding or grabbing. Great defenders move their feet. It is viewed by fans of mediocre programs as grabbing but when you watch them closely they move their feet. Watch what is, not what you want to see. Clems best defensive teams moved their feet. Been on record of not being a fan of Brad D. Tripping is dirty.

You definetly do not see maximizing efficiency in Pitino's teams. Wehave never been top 20 in either offense or defense. Not once.

Top Bottom