STrib: Gophers get a glimpse of Ayianna Johnson's potential

Ignatius L Hoops

Reaction score

Kent Youngblood

Because the game is new to her, it's a work in progress. Right now she likes to focus on one thing — Sunday it was rim-running — but she'll need to learn to multi-task. She needs to get better getting rebounding position after a high school career where her athletic ability meant she didn't have to. She will need to diversify her offensive game. She'll get another chance Wednesday, when the Gophers host North Dakota State.

But she's eager and able to learn. Sunday, for example, she had two of her shots blocked by Chicago State center Josie Hill. But Johnson is already strong enough for the physical Big Ten. Plitzuweit and her staff kept telling her that in those situations, with the defender up tight, one answer is to face up to the basket.

"And then Maggie [Czinano] faced up against the post kid, got to the rim and scored,'' Plitzuweit said. "I looked at the bench at A.J., and she's like, 'Yes, I understand. That's what I should have done.'''

AJ will keep getting better, no doubt. Absolutely fits the phrase a diamond in the rough.
Lets not minimize rim running...hopefully she never stops! "Easy baskets" are hard to come by and win games. Rim running is really annoying to an opponent and often causes matchup problems, foul problems and frustration...all to an opponent. Not an easy skill to find or take advantage of. One impressive part in game 2...most impressive part? Add pieces to her game but don't lose the rim running.

I was impressed with her communications skills in the short snippet of the Amaya Battle show a couple of weeks ago and I was impressed with her physical skills potential and hustle in the highlights that I watched on Sunday. Looks like she has a very high ceiling.

I like that Johnson makes herself available to the guards driving to the basket. Now they just have to dump the ball to her and let her finish.

Top Bottom