STrib: Gophers can't seem to find leading scorer Daniel Oturu in crunch time

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Marcus:

One theme was apparent in the tough home losses to Iowa, Indiana and Maryland. The best player on the Gophers, and maybe the best on the floor (unless it’s Iowa’s Luka Garza) in those games didn’t get the ball in crunch time enough to make an impact.

Where was Oturu? He was there, likely ready to take control if given the opportunity like he has many times this season. The 6-10 sophomore had 28 points on 10-for-13 shooting from the field, 6-for-6 shooting at the foul line and 11 rebounds against Maryland. Yet, Minnesota’s All-America candidate didn’t get a shot in the last six-plus minutes.

Oturu’s second-to-last field-goal attempt was a jumper to make it 66-60 Gophers with 6:17 to play. He hit two free throws after getting fouled on a put-back to make it 72-64 with 2:06 left. That was the last time he touched the ball until a desperation heave as time expired following Darryl Morsell’s game-winning three with 1.9 seconds to play. Maryland ended the last two minutes on a 10-1 run.

In the loss against Indiana, Oturu had no shots in the last 1:29. The Gophers were outscored 8-0 in the final 2:15. In the Iowa loss, Oturu had no shots in the last 6:06. The Gophers were outscored 11-0 in the final 5:25.

Go Gophers!!

I need to watch these games not in person sometime because what I notice from Daniel in person are two things.

1. He rarely fights to keep opposing bigs from establishing good post position. Once they get the ball, he battles. But he isnt usually fighting them to keep them off the spot they want.
2. He doesn’t seem to get his position very early or easily. Pitino mentioned this on his Tuesday show once, a couple weeks ago. They run a lot of screens and stuff to help him get his spot.

I’m not sure if he is too tired, not strong enough or is being coached this way but he doesn’t get “deep” position against capable bigs very easily.

Amazing talent but just an observation that I think relates to this article.

I need to watch these games not in person sometime because what I notice from Daniel in person are two things.

1. He rarely fights to keep opposing bigs from establishing good post position. Once they get the ball, he battles. But he isnt usually fighting them to keep them off the spot they want.
2. He doesn’t seem to get his position very early or easily. Pitino mentioned this on his Tuesday show once, a couple weeks ago. They run a lot of screens and stuff to help him get his spot.

I’m not sure if he is too tired, not strong enough or is being coached this way but he doesn’t get “deep” position against capable bigs very easily.

Amazing talent but just an observation that I think relates to this article.

I see the whole team as being young. Those seniors and juniors are not very talented, the talented guys are young and play young, just as you suggest in Orturu's case.

Part of the problem is the others on the floor are late getting him the ball. He needs to get the ball when he initially flashes to the box. We get it there too late and then he either has been moved or has to work too hard to get his shot. The angles are bad when it gets there late.

Passing and getting the pass there at the correct time is an art form.

The same thing can be said for almost every big man in the history of basketball. When you can’t be a primary ball handler, it is hard to get you the ball

Top Bottom