STrib: Gophers' 6-10 recruit Martice Mitchell working hard on developing during the pandemic

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Marcus:

Q: How do you see yourself fitting in Pitino’s system with the Gophers next season?

A:
I feel like I will fit in really well seeing that Coach Pitino is doing well with athletic and more versatile players. They got Liam [Robbins] from Drake, and he already had [Isaiah Ihnen] and other players like that. I feel like we have a lot of long, versatile players who can be on the floor.

Q: Pitino said the biggest priority for you is gaining weight. What are your thoughts on that?

A:
I don’t have a goal as far as weight. I just want to be a lot stronger than if I would be just lifting at home. With season not going on and me being at home, I’m not as prepared as I can be. So, I’m just trying to use the next couple months to get as strong as I possibly can before I get on campus. I don’t really have a goal for the weight yet. I’m 197 right now.

Q: Have you been chatting a lot with Mashburn (fellow member of Gophers’ 2020 recruiting class)?

A:
I talked to Jamal Mashburn on Instagram all of the time. We’re really two underrated four-star recruits. So, we want to go to Minnesota and do something big. Prove something to people. I think Jamal is a real tough guard. Those are the kind of guards I like to play with, and I had on my high school team. He’s a real tough guard with a high [basketball] IQ. He has a good feel for the game. Those are the guys I like a lot play with. I really like to play with guards who can dish the ball, drive into the lane and create contact. Not guys who try to do fancy layups.

Q: What type of athletic training have you been able to do from home during this pandemic?

A:
I’ve got a weight bench, and I have a curl bar in my room. I’ve been using those. I’ve been jogging on the track to get my cardio work done. Or I’ll run around my neighborhood. I do ball-handling drills on FaceTime with my trainer (Young and Reckless Basketball founder and AAU coach Aubrey DeNard).

Go Gophers!!

Top Bottom