STrib: Fleck picks Cam Wiley's spots carefully

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Megan:

Freshman running back Cam Wiley played his second game at Iowa, and he might get only two more this season.

Gophers coach P.J. Fleck has said he wants to redshirt the 6-2, 205-pound Las Vegas native, keeping him at four games this year. On Saturday, he came in at kick returner and running back.

“Now I’ve got to be creative in how I use the [final] two, but we want to keep getting him involved somehow, someway,” Fleck said. “I thought that he could provide a spark in the kick-return game, and he’s got a tremendous [future]. It’s just, he needs experience doing it.”

Go Gophers!!

Cam certainly looks the part. The future is bright at our skill positions. The big question will be if we can build and maintain an above average to elite defense.

I thought going to Cam on the 2nd play was odd, but shows Fleck has a lot of trust in him.

Not sure the 2nd play from scrimmage and returning kicks on the road at Kinnick is picking spots all that carefully.

It would be interesting to see how he does with a bigger sample size. Hopefully against Northwestern we can get a nice lead like against Maryland and Rutgers.

Not sure the 2nd play from scrimmage and returning kicks on the road at Kinnick is picking spots all that carefully.
If you think he's a HR hitter then it makes sense to use him in this situation. Takes some of the load off of older players. I agree it was an odd spot, however.

Last edited:

I believe Bryce Williams has played in just 2 games so he could play in a few of these as well.

I believe Bryce Williams has played in just 2 games so he could play in a few of these as well.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Bryce transfer down to a lower level. Maybe I'm being too harsh on a Sophomore, but he hasn't struck me as being anything more than a depth player. Probably the 5th on the depth chart next year behind Mo, Wiley, Potts, and Kai.

I sort of thought that as well when he went in to field the punt. He definitely looked great in Fall practices.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Bryce transfer down to a lower level. Maybe I'm being too harsh on a Sophomore, but he hasn't struck me as being anything more than a depth player. Probably the 5th on the depth chart next year behind Mo, Wiley, Potts, and Kai.
I'm not sure he'll ever be a starter but he showed enough last year that he could be a solid contributor. Unless guys like Wiley and Potts pass him on the depth chart.

If redshirting is the plan, then I expect we don't see him against NW, and we will get him against Wisconsin and either the Big Ten Title game if we win or the bowl game if we lose.

I'm not sure he'll ever be a starter but he showed enough last year that he could be a solid contributor. Unless guys like Wiley and Potts pass him on the depth chart.

I would be pretty surprised if Wiley isn't already last home, but for the RS.

Hope not- he played well in several games last year- especially against Sconnie.

Top Bottom