STrib: Ex-Gopher Damian Johnson hopes to connect inner city and rural Minnesota youth to talk about race

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Marcus:

During the unrest that followed the tragic death of George Floyd in police custody in Minneapolis last week, Damian Johnson hatched an idea that he hopes could help Minnesota's youth understand racial issues.

The former Gophers standout wants to create a program where kids from the inner city and rural Minnesota connect at a young age. The goal is they “build relationships they wouldn’t normally have," Johnson said.

The idea already gained an abundance of positive feedback across the state.

When it comes to speaking his mind on racial issues, Johnson doesn’t shy away from tough conversations on social media. He posed a serious question on Twitter last week: “If you are white and from Minnesota but not from the Twin Cities, how old were you when you had your first conversation with a black person?

Johnson said he was surprised by how many people he met that hadn’t talked to a black person until college or later in life when stereotypes were already formed, often negative. That was a reason for him wanting to encourage earlier conversations with people from different backgrounds.

“If you look at it, America has progressed a lot,” Johnson said. “But right now, it’s a period of so much uncertainty because we have got so many different messages being put out that cause divisiveness. It feels like everything had been progressing great. Then we kind of got to a point where we got stuck. The police brutality part is where I don’t think enough people understand. We’re not saying all cops want to kill black people. We’re seeing a lot of times, we’re targeted or people are afraid of you. And you don’t know what’s going to happen in situations of fear.”

Go Damian Johnson!!

. I really like what he is doing. Need more thoughtful ideas for positive change like his.

This seems like an excellent idea, well intentioned and helpful mission. Brings me to a question though: Are there studies that show that people who don't interact with black people until 18 years or after are more likely to be prejudice? My thought would be if you grow up in an environment that is prejudice, (such as with parents hateful beliefs) no matter rural or city, you are more likely to be prejudice.

It was really inspiring reading this piece last night. We need more people thinking about ways they can make an impact like this. Each idea adds to the movement for change

When was the first time Damian had a conversation with an indigenous tribal member?
When Damian brings this up does he talk about the black children who were raised in adoption by white parents?
The fact is that the United States is blending and mixing. We have to stop running to the ends of the color spectrum and trying to divide. We have to acknowledge our plurality that is one nation in this great melting pot.
To the end that Damian is bringing people together to see our common humanity, I salute the effort. Find the common thread of culture and celebrate the unity.

Damian is becoming one of my all-time favorite Gophers. One of my favorite things about the Gopher community is when former players stick around and have such a tremendous impact.

Damian is becoming one of my all-time favorite Gophers. One of my favorite things about the Gopher community is when former players stick around and have such a tremendous impact.
Agree. That is the whole idea. What can humans do to help other humans. Athletes have so many learning opportunities right in front of them.

Super important to keep the conversation going. Human thriving is not a slam dunk, it is built over generations in human lineages that get family and generation hand-off right.

Top Bottom