STrib: Dawson Garcia primed to take leadership role in second season with Gophers men's basketball

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Per Marcus:

Showing off an all-Gophers fashion ensemble with a maroon hat, hoodie and shorts, Dawson Garcia proudly represented the U during his first ever summer basketball camp at Prior Lake.

Players wore T-shirts with his likeness on the front. Autograph lines formed, following the three-hour session that raised money for the Prior Lake youth program that produced Garcia.

"He is awesome with the young guys," Prior Lake coach Jon Miller said. "He loves giving back and representing [Prior Lake] and the Gophers."

This wasn't just any college basketball player showing up at his high school alma mater. Garcia's the face of the Gophers. And he's much more comfortable being their leader now in his second summer in Ben Johnson's program.

"My second year at Minnesota, I just want to leave my handprint on every aspect of the game," Garcia said, as summer practice wrapped up last week.

"I know if we want to be really good and be where we want to be, I have to step up and take my game to another level," Garcia said.

Go Gophers!!

A lot to be gleaned from this article. Dawson hit 43% from 3 point land the last 8 games. It took time for him to adjust to physical B1G play. Yes, we need a big leadership role from him too. 30 solid minutes a game, please.

Glad to have Dawson and Payne, etc, but I’m thinking the most important piece in this year’s puzzle is the little point guard from Howard.
You have to get some easy baskets in the Big 10 (Big 18?) - working against a set defense is tough. Having a kid that can change the pace, beat somebody off the dribble and get the bigs some bunnies is huge. Mitchell is a lot quicker than Cooper as well....

I'm striving for this year is turning up my level on defense, my activity with my hands and just being a sponge to the ball."

They really, really need everyone to improve defensively.
Signed, Captain Obvious
With a guru on board it should be attainable.

With a guru on board it should be attainable.
A lot to be gleaned from this article. Dawson hit 43% from 3 point land the last 8 games. It took time for him to adjust to physical B1G play. Yes, we need a big leadership role from him too. 30 solid minutes a game, please.
He’s shot 36% for the season. The bad wheel must have really set him back. Looking for a huge year from Garcia. A lot of on court leadership coming from Garcia and Ihnen.

Glad to have Dawson and Payne, etc, but I’m thinking the most important piece in this year’s puzzle is the little point guard from Howard.
Unless he gets his turn overs under control he is a bit player. Mitchell, Carrington, Christie will carry the backcourt. I think being surrounded by awesome guard play and excellent big men with great hands can solve his turn over problem. I love his aggressive play and 46.6% 3 point shooting. Our bigs will rebound, dunk with authority and can shoot efficiently from anywhere. Payne needs quality backup not named Garcia. Wilson had better be a contributor underneath. Then it will fall on our defense. Quicker guards and adding Betts will bolster the D.

Yes, knew last year. Live is the now. This is a brand new team.
Yes, NO! Everything went wrong. Shot 20% in the first half. Your hero, Mr Battle was 0 for every shot taken for zero points. Glad the BB POS is gone.

He cost us victories last year. Granted he got us one rare win. With the forwards we have this year he wasn’t going to see many minutes. Everyone, especially Battle was aware of Betts this year. With our other forwards even Betts will scrape for minutes.

Top Bottom