Strib: Colorado States McKenna Hofschild

Ignatius L Hoops

Reaction score

Marcus Fuller"

After Colorado State women's basketball games, Prior Lake's McKenna Hofschild is often swarmed by young fans for autographs — her 5-foot-2 frame easily gets lost in the crowd.

Once a fan even joked that when hundreds of kids left the arena to "please tell McKenna not to get on the bus with the middle schoolers, we need her."

Despite being small in stature, Hofschild is one of the biggest stars in women's college hoops — the mid-major level's Caitlin Clark.

Hofschild and Iowa's Clark are the only two players nationally averaging at least 20 points and seven assists this season. Hofschild leads the nation in assists per game, just ahead of Clark.

Nobody scores and facilitates at an elite level like Clark. Although nearly a foot shorter, Hofschild seems as close as it gets right now in the women's game.

"I do watch [Clark] a lot because she's absolutely electric," the Rams senior said. "The way she can completely take over a game by not only getting herself great looks consistently, but her teammates. That's something I try to do as much as possible."

For her height, she is an amazing player. I recall watching her play in a JV game (as a 7th grader), and no one could stop her.

Top Bottom