STrib: Border battered: Wisconsin gets two U basketball recruits in 24 hours

MplsGopher

Reaction score
http://www.startribune.com/wisconsi...le-whammy-in-basketball-recruiting/560732172/ (Note: the headline is different in the actual article, for some reason)

The Border Battle between Richard Pitino’s and Greg Gard’s basketball programs won’t happen on the court until February, but the fight between the Gophers and Badgers in recruiting Minnesota kids already played out this fall.

And that round went to Wisconsin.

In less than 24 hours, the Badgers plucked two four-star big men out of the Twin Cities with commitments from Eastview’s Steven Crowl on Tuesday and East Ridge’s Ben Carlson on Wednesday.

The Badgers’ 2020 recruiting class will be their fourth straight with players from Minnesota; current starters Nate Reuvers and Brad Davison came from the class of 2017. That doesn’t sit well with Gophers faithful just by itself.

But Wisconsin’s success locally adds to the overall growing concern that Pitino could strike out for the second straight year with in-state targets. This is one of the most talent-rich classes Minnesota has produced, with up to nine players expected to sign with Power Five conference schools.

Uncommitted local seniors Jalen Suggs, Dawson Garcia and Kerwin Walton have not scheduled official visits with the Gophers yet.

“Minnesota fans are frustrated not just that they’re losing local guys in recruiting for a couple of years, but they’re losing some of them to their No. 1 rival,” Prep Hoops national recruiting analyst Ryan James said. “So much of this is about momentum, and Minnesota needs to break momentum with Wisconsin grabbing guys, but also build some of their own — period. Last year, the Gophers missed out on five. This year they’ve missed out on four locals so far that they’ve offered.”

Carlson’s decision Wednesday afternoon caused Gophers fans to hit the panic button even more on social media since Pitino has zero commitments for the 2020 class. Things might not seem so bleak eventually if Pitino lands another top-30 recruiting class like last year. Four-star out-of-state seniors Gethro Muscadin, Ty Berry, Jamari Sibley and Jamal Mashburn Jr. are strongly considering the U.

“I think every time [fans] see a kid go elsewhere they think it’s an indictment on our program,” Pitino said recently, speaking generally. “Not saying it isn’t. Maybe sometimes it is. What’s important to know is we’re making the NCAA tournament. We beat Louisville last year. That’s progress.”

Of the seven players the Gophers offered in the 2020 class, Carlson is the fourth to commit elsewhere, joining Crowl, Park Center’s Dain Dainja (Baylor) and Rochester Mayo’s Gabe Madsen (Cincinnati).

The Badgers could have eight Minnesotans on the roster in 2020-21, including Davison, Reuvers, Tyler Wahl, Walt McGrory and Joe Hedstrom. The Gophers currently have five locals, including Daniel Oturu, Gabe Kalscheur, Jarvis Omersa and Michael Hurt on scholarship.

“Other kids are seeing that,” James said. “Minnesotans are seeing [Amir] Coffey, Oturu and Kalscheur have success with the Gophers. But kids they’re growing up playing with on their AAU teams after them are going somewhere else. That’s why right now, they don’t have much momentum with these [Minnesota] kids.”

I can always understand leaving for a top program (Duke, Kansas, etc.)

I can understand leaving for a good/high level program that is in a different part of the country. Getting out of the state/cold climate.

But to Wisconsin??

It really doesn't bother me at all if he gets Minnesota kids or not. The fact he hasn't had any recruits commit is a little concerning. They seem to have a tough time getting commitments.

Wiscon was 14-6 last year in the big ten?

Last few years:
2008–09 Bo Ryan 20–13 10–8 T-4th NCAA Second Round
2009–10 Bo Ryan 24–9 13–5 4th NCAA Second Round
2010–11 Bo Ryan 25–9 13–53rd NCAA Sweet Sixteen
2011–12 Bo Ryan 26–10 12–6 4th NCAA Sweet Sixteen
2012–13 Bo Ryan 23–12 12–6 T-4th NCAA First Round
2013–14 Bo Ryan 30–8 12–6T-2nd NCAA Final Four
2015–16 Ryan/Gard 22–13 12–6 T–3rd NCAA Sweet Sixteen
2016–17 Greg Gard 27–10 12–6 T–2nd NCAA Sweet Sixteen
Didn't make the tournament in 17-18.

Any questions?

Wiscon was 14-6 last year in the big ten?

Last few years:
2008–09 Bo Ryan 20–13 10–8 T-4th NCAA Second Round
2009–10 Bo Ryan 24–9 13–5 4th NCAA Second Round
2010–11 Bo Ryan 25–9 13–53rd NCAA Sweet Sixteen
2011–12 Bo Ryan 26–10 12–6 4th NCAA Sweet Sixteen
2012–13 Bo Ryan 23–12 12–6 T-4th NCAA First Round
2013–14 Bo Ryan 30–8 12–6T-2nd NCAA Final Four
2015–16 Ryan/Gard 22–13 12–6 T–3rd NCAA Sweet Sixteen
2016–17 Greg Gard 27–10 12–6 T–2nd NCAA Sweet Sixteen
Didn't make the tournament in 17-18.

Any questions?

Yes, 14-6 in the conference this past year and made the tourney.

I can understand leaving for a good/high level program that is in a different part of the country. Getting out of the state/cold climate.

But to Wisconsin??

But UW fits the great program category.

But UW fits the great program category.

Not a top program, and not a different part of the country.

I don't get it, but there are clearly more factors than that. Such as playing time, who is on the roster to compete with, and (per the article) where your AAU teammates or friends from other teams are going.

Let me frame it another way: if it makes so much sense for MN kids to go to Wisconsin, why aren't there as many MN kids going to Iowa or Iowa State? (That's correct, right?)

Again, the answer could have more nuance than I'm understanding. Also could be that Iowa/State don't recruit MN as hard as Wisconsin coaches do. But if that's true, then I wonder why?? Are there not very many good bball players in Wisc? That would seem unlikely to me.

But to Wisconsin??

Wisconsin was in the same category as Duke & Kansas (along with Mich St & Gonzaga) for making the NCAA Tourney every year this century until 2018. They rebounded with a solid campaign.

Hate 'em, but they are a top tier program. It sucks, but is reality.

It really doesn't bother me at all if he gets Minnesota kids or not. The fact he hasn't had any recruits commit is a little concerning. They seem to have a tough time getting commitments.

That's simply because he struggles with recruiting. Super likable guy/coach. Not a solid recruiter.

Let me frame it another way: if it makes so much sense for MN kids to go to Wisconsin, why aren't there as many MN kids going to Iowa or Iowa State? (That's correct, right?)

Again, the answer could have more nuance than I'm understanding. Also could be that Iowa/State don't recruit MN as hard as Wisconsin coaches do. But if that's true, then I wonder why?? Are there not very many good bball players in Wisc? That would seem unlikely to me.

Because Wisconsin is a better school, nicer campus, has great facilities and they have won consistently since 1998.

Wisconsin was in the same category as Duke & Kansas (along with Mich St & Gonzaga) for making the NCAA Tourney every year this century until 2018. They rebounded with a solid campaign.

Hate 'em, but they are a top tier program. It sucks, but is reality.

I don't agree that is a valid comparison between Duke, Kansas, and Wisconsin. That sounds like something a Wisconsin fan would say.

They are not a top tier program, in the vein of those two.

Because Wisconsin is a better school, nicer campus and they have won consistently since 1998.

Recently, Iowa State has has won more and made bigger runs in the tournament?

And is actually closer to the Twin Cities than Madison.

It's simply because they win.

Minnesota has better facilities.
Minnesota plays a better style for players.
Minnesota has a more fun coach.

Wisconsin has State Street and its bars.

Define what makes a program great.

My opinion is when you win for over 20 years, win several conference titles and conference tourney titles, go to three final 4's. Win more games in 20 years than anyone in your conference , you have no scandals as it relates to recruiting or compliance. My opinion, that is a great program. Everyone has their own idea of what great is. What is your definition ?

Badgers are top shelf. Right up there with Michigan State, Michigan and Purdue in our conference. Gophers haven't been there in a while.

But this is what frustrates me the most!

If I had been a 5* Minnesota recruit. It would be my life's mission to win for my home state and restore the Gophers to their former glory!

I blame the parents for not brainwashing their kids to be Gopher fans. I mean. I live in Maryland and we only watch Minnesota sports.

Because Wisconsin is a better school, nicer campus, has great facilities and they have won consistently since 1998.

I disagree U W is a better school, define better?

My opinion is when you win for over 20 years, win several conference titles and conference tourney titles, go to three final 4's. Win more games in 20 years than anyone in your conference , you have no scandals as it relates to recruiting or compliance. My opinion, that is a great program. Everyone has their own idea of what great is. What is your definition ?

If we are talking about great programs on a national level, my definition involves at least one post World War 2 national championship.

If we are talking about great programs on a national level, my definition involves at least one post World War 2 national championship.

They're the Minnesota vikings. Consistently above average but never the last one standing

(seriously, the vikings are like 6th all time in win %)

Wisconsin has been far superior to MN, I think we can all acknowledge that

Outside of Kaminsky/Dekker teams, they're tourney runs were often short. Of course, they had tourney runs and we were home watching...so

I disagree U W is a better school, define better?

They appear to be near equal by acceptance rates and other rankings. Not public Ivy status . Pretty subjective on school, campus, size of city, pro team in town versus only team in town. What becomes more clear is program success, coaching success. Fun was mentioned here as Pitino is more fun to play for. The players having the most fun win, ask them. Look at their faces at trophy presentations, conference titles, final 4 trips, national titles.

Other things Wisconsin has over Minnesota:

Easier Co-eds
Co-eds with bigger breasts (cheese and beer goes right there!)

I can list at least a half dozen reasons that are advantages to going to the U.

Who was the last Mn player that went to Wisconsin that we really missed. The only one I can think of is Cam Taylor from North Mpls. Not too concerned about these two or the last two.

I can list at least a half dozen reasons that are advantages to going to the U.

I can list more than that! Don't even get me started. Madison is pretty damn dull comparably to Minneapolis! Lake Calhoun (Bda Maka Ska) has top notch viewing!

The fact is Wisconsin has won for a sustained amount of time. The only way to compete for recruiting of these high level Minnesota kids would be if we had Rick Pitino!

Remember the studs Lou Holtz was bringing into Minnesota? Tony Rice was going to come here. Then Touchdown Jesus came calling and bam! Right back in the B1G basement.

A stud coach could bring in better players. Given time Pitino could too. He just needs to get his foot in the top of the league.

I can list more than that! Don't even get me started. Madison is pretty damn dull comparably to Minneapolis! Lake Calhoun (Bda Maka Ska) has top notch viewing!

The fact is Wisconsin has won for a sustained amount of time. The only way to compete for recruiting of these high level Minnesota kids would be if we had Rick Pitino!

Remember the studs Lou Holtz was bringing into Minnesota? Tony Rice was going to come here. Then Touchdown Jesus came calling and bam! Right back in the B1G basement.

A stud coach could bring in better players. Given time Pitino could too. He just needs to get his foot in the top of the league.

Our campus atmosphere hurts in recruiting.

Our campus atmosphere hurts in recruiting.

Yeah, its too bad the Northeast renaissance didn't happen in Dinkytown, Stadium Village and Seven Corners. Betty Danger's, Psycho Suzies and those other new "hot" places being close to campus would really jazz it up. But then again, there's nothing great around Maryland's campus either.

Top Bottom