STrib: After Rashod Bateman's second departure, Gophers remaining receivers ready for more chances

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Megan:

Sanford said Thursday he felt this recent break from playing games, while unplanned, helped him evaluate his offense and realize some oft-unused talent could be ready to step up in Bateman's stead.

"That's going to be exciting to watch these guys go ahead and do what they need to do. And I love where the receiver group is at," Sanford said. "To me, you've got the chance to see the development that [receivers coach] Matt Simon has put into that group, which is phenomenal. Because I think that it's going to be more of a multiple group, if you will. And obviously, a little bit less going toward a true first-round type talent, where you'd be remiss if you didn't target him 12 to 15 times a game."

Beyond Bateman, Chris Autman-Bell and Daniel Jackson have been the other starting receivers. Autman-Bell, a junior, has made 14 catches for 315 yards and a score while Jackson, a true freshman, has caught five passes for 57 yards. Redshirt freshman Mike Brown-Stephens could see more action at the No. 3 position, though Seth Green and Clay Geary have also been infrequent targets. Sanford has even worked in the running backs and tight ends into the passing game, albeit fairly sparingly.

"Everybody in that room is grinding and getting better every day, whether they are a fifth-year senior or a true freshman," quarterback Tanner Morgan said. "They are working together and ready for an opportunity if their number is called."

Autman-Bell certainly is and was well before Bateman's departure.

"Nothing changes. I've still got to be the same person I am," he said. " … I've got to be a superhero, be Chris Autman-Bell and go make plays."

Go Gophers!!

Wasn't there a rumour that part of Bateman agreeing to come back was that he'd be showcased and that's why we seemingly were trying to force him the ball? Not saying I believe that, but that would work with this story to....

Wasn't there a rumour that part of Bateman agreeing to come back was that he'd be showcased and that's why we seemingly were trying to force him the ball? Not saying I believe that, but that would work with this story to....
Are you saying there was a "Rashod Ratio"?

I wonder if Emilien is an academic redshirt or something? With all the hype about him on here and 247, surprised not to hear his name at all - especially over Geary or Green.

Regardless if there wasn't a formal agreement, informally they were clearly trying to do it.

Also not suggesting that Morgan is going to improve without Bateman. I don't know what will happen. Morgan is a bit like Cousins ... if he doesn't have great protection, he can't get away/gets sacked if someone lightly grazes his shoelace.

I wonder if Emilien is an academic redshirt or something? With all the hype about him on here and 247, surprised not to hear his name at all - especially over Geary or Green.
Right. Same with the highly rated linebacker. I wonder if it's the same with Ky Thomas? You'd think, one of the top rated guys in the class. Potts gets hurt, can play 4 games without losing Redshirt. Nothing.

The academic redshirting was new to me, but apparently has been a thing in FBS since 2016. Has been a thing in lower divisions for a long time ("partial qualifiers").

Right. Same with the highly rated linebacker. I wonder if it's the same with Ky Thomas? You'd think, one of the top rated guys in the class. Potts gets hurt, can play 4 games without losing Redshirt. Nothing.

The academic redshirting was new to me, but apparently has been a thing in FBS since 2016. Has been a thing in lower divisions for a long time ("partial qualifiers").
Not sure about his status in prior weeks, but Ky Thomas had his arm in a sling for the Purdue game.

Its puzzling when we discuss the passing game and our WR's, that almost no mention is made of throwing to the TE's.

CAB is a decent #2/3. He makes some great contested catches, but the problem is he always seems to be contested....
This. The team doesn't really have a burner outside of Bateman. Passing game will likely be very different (or if not different, less effective) until another WR proves to teams he can take the lid off. Otherwise I imagine we'll see a lot of press man, safeties in the box, etc. to slow down the running game.

Not sure about his status in prior weeks, but Ky Thomas had his arm in a sling for the Purdue game.
Ah, well there you go. Maybe he got hurt in fall camp. Or maybe more recently and Fleck just didn't trust him yet with pass-pro etc.

Its puzzling when we discuss the passing game and our WR's, that almost no mention is made of throwing to the TE's.
You have to wonder ... if BSF might get to the league one day and turn into a star.

And people are like ........ wha ... WTF?? How did Minnesota never use this guy??

This. The team doesn't really have a burner outside of Bateman. Passing game will likely be very different (or if not different, less effective) until another WR proves to teams he can take the lid off. Otherwise I imagine we'll see a lot of press man, safeties in the box, etc. to slow down the running game.
TJ wasn't a burner.

If you're saying his production was largely due to the vertical threat of Bateman, well I suppose I can't refute that. Is that what you're saying?

TJ wasn't a burner.

If you're saying his production was largely due to the vertical threat of Bateman, well I suppose I can't refute that. Is that what you're saying?
Basically, yes...Bateman opened everything up for the other pass catchers. TJ was also an alpha WR who was extremely talented at getting separation, but primarily because of his quickness and really refined route running -- not straight line speed. But I don't think there's any doubt that having a guy like Bateman who can occupy 2 or 3 defenders on every drop back will open up a TON for other guys. It'll be interesting (but perhaps painful) to see how things play out without him.

Basically, yes...Bateman opened everything up for the other pass catchers. TJ was also an alpha WR who was extremely talented at getting separation, but primarily because of his quickness and really refined route running -- not straight line speed. But I don't think there's any doubt that having a guy like Bateman who can occupy 2 or 3 defenders on every drop back will open up a TON for other guys. It'll be interesting (but perhaps painful) to see how things play out without him.
Seems like this year would've been a great one to test that hypothesis.

Too bad we have Sanford as an OC.

Or maybe Sanford and/or Fleck forced Morgan to give almost every target to Bateman. We'll never know to what degree that is true, but it's plain to see that it is some amount more than zero.

TJ wasn't a burner.

There is much more to getting separation than being a “burner”. I won’t pretend to be a WR technician expert but it’s clear TJ was far superior to CAB in this area. TJ was an elite route runner which helped a lot.

There is much more to getting separation than being a “burner”. I won’t pretend to be a WR technician expert but it’s clear TJ was far superior to CAB in this area. TJ was an elite route runner which helped a lot.
I guess this has to be true to some degree. Can't refute it.

Tanner has thrown a few balls behind CAB this season that would have been nice gains. His delivery is anything but quick.

Top Bottom