STrib: After 58 seasons as a head coach, Brainerd's Ron Stolski calls it a career

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per David:

Ron Stolski, head football coach for 58 seasons, retired from his post at Brainerd. No head football coach in Minnesota spent more seasons on the sidelines.

Stolski, 80, coached at Kensington, Slayton, Princeton and Park Center before taking the Brainerd job in 1975.

His record of 389-182-5 puts Stolski second in career victories behind Verndale’s Mike Mahlen, who has 401.

Stolski informed his 2019 team of his decision on Wednesday morning, according to the Brainerd Dispatch.

Another part of Stolski’s legacy is his role in creating the current Prep Bowl playoffs.

He told the Star Tribune in 2013, “In the late 1970s, the old format of using conferences to determine a playoff just wasn’t working. I was the [athletic director] at Brainerd at the time. There was a coach, Mike Belseth in Breckenridge, who had a plan in which everybody made the playoffs but had to drop their last game of the season. Coaches didn’t want to do that. So we started working off the Belseth plan and thought we might have something here. I called Marv Helling at the MSHSL and told him. He drove up the next day, took a look and said he thought there was something.”

Stolski will remain executive director of the Minnesota Football Coaches Association, according to the Brainerd Dispatch.

Go Gophers!!

There doesn't seem to be a lot of interest in Brainerd football on Gopherhole.

Great man, loves the Gophers, and a good coach.

I can only pray I have the energy and passion to be doing something I love at 80 years old.

Top Bottom