Strack: PJ Fleck Must Find Quarterback He Can Trust in Offseason

In the top 25 I’m pretty sure Iowa is the only team that plays the same type of ball as Fleck. Can we shoot for the top 25?

Of course we can. Me personally, I'd hope the Gophers would at least contend for Top 25 status most seasons. It feels like we've been consistently on the fringe of that expectation, but have fallen just short more often than not. Only one Top 10 finish in 7 seasons under Fleck.

Serious question: How often should the Gophers be expected to finish in the Top 25?

Of course we can. Me personally, I'd hope the Gophers would at least contend for Top 25 status most seasons. It feels like we've been consistently on the fringe of that expectation, but have fallen just short more often than not. Only one Top 10 finish in 7 seasons under Fleck.

Serious question: How often should the Gophers be expected to finish in the Top 25?
I think your comment about most seasons contending is appropriate. What’s more important to me is how we compete and play the game. If we had fought North Carolina tooth and nail right down to the finish and lost, that would help. If we even tried to win against Michigan and Ohio State, that would help. If maybe we shit the bed just once instead of three times versus Northwestern, Illinois and Purdue; that would help. It’s not about the destination to me. It’s about how you get there. For us to be relevant, watchable, best we can be, et all. I think we have to change how we go about getting there. PJ thinks – – I’m young, I’m rich, I’ve gotten there my way so I must be the smartest guy in the room for accomplishing what I have, so why would I change? I get that, too. But, there is nothing worse than always thinking you the smartest guy in the room.

I haven’t crunched the numbers, but to my eye Athan looks a lot better when the offense plays with some tempo and lets him think and create on the fly. The stale RPO, milk the clock to 2, and run the play confirmed or signaled at the last second just doesn’t suit his style IMO. Even going back to last year, he’s been best when Minnesota has trailed and needed to push the ball down the field, take a few chances, and not milk the clock. I honestly have no issues with Harbaugh calling plays. To me, the continued struggles on O — especially in crucial spots — comes down to Fleck’s conservative, possession style. I’ve accepted he’s not planning to change that, but I sure wish they’d spice it up a couple times per game by going tempo.

Top Bottom