Strack: 3 Takeaways From Gophers’ Ugly Season-Opening Victory Over Huskers

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Per Strack:

1. Special Teams Nearly Kills Gophers (Again)​

Gophers’ special teams, under PJ Fleck, has never been a strong suit. On Thursday night, Rob Wenger’s group proved that some things never change.

New placekicker, Dragan Kesich, missed a 54-yard field goal that flipped the field during the 1st half. To start the 2nd half, Minnesota surrendered a 63-yard kick return that gave Nebraska the ball at the Gophers’ 35 yard line.

Then, after a key stop by the defense in the 3rd quarter, Minnesota committed a roughing the punter penalty on 4th and 19, giving Nebraska a fresh set of downs. From every angle, the Gophers’ special teams was terrible on Thursday night.

Kesich did redeem himself, and the rest of the Minnesota special teams group, by hitting the game-winning field goal, as time expired.

2. Minnesota’s Defense Looks Great (Again)​

Much like the special teams group, it appears some things never change. Since Joe Rossi took over the Minnesota Gophers defense, midway through the 2018 season, it’s been one of the best units in the country. That looks to be the case again, in 2023.

Without Minnesota’s stout defensive play vs Nebraska, this game would have been over before the 4th quarter got underway. Outside of one broken play touchdown in the 3rd quarter, Rossi’s crew was nearly perfect, making up for all the deficiencies the Gophers showed on both special teams and offense.

3. Offense Goes as Athan Kaliakmanis Goes​

Thursday night’s opener may have looked like the same old Gophers, in a lot of ways, but their attack on offense did not. As I’ve noted multiple times, leading up to this game, Minnesota’s offense in 2023 is not built on its rushing attack. It’s built around redshirt sophomore QB, Athan Kaliakmanis.

The Gophers ran for just 55 total yards vs the Cornhuskers, averaging a putrid 2.2 yards per carry. The only time they moved the ball efficiently, it was through the air. Kaliakmanis finished 24 of 44 for 196 yards, 1 INT and 1 game-tying TD.

Arguably their best drive of the game ended in an interception, proving this offense will go as far as Kaliakmanis takes it this season.

Go Gophers!!

I'm going to not think about 1 and 3 for about a week...

Not sure I agree with the special ream’s assessment. Giving up the long kick return was bad but the running into the kicker penalty was on the weaker side. The pressure of making a long field goal as time runs out trumps missing a 54 yarder.

I’m not saying special teams play was strong but I don’t think it was THAT weak.

Not sure I agree with the special ream’s assessment. Giving up the long kick return was bad but the running into the kicker penalty was on the weaker side. The pressure of making a long field goal as time runs out trumps missing a 54 yarder.

I’m not saying special teams play was strong but I don’t think it was THAT weak.
The Gophers' kickoff returns were bad.

Failed to note our punter pinning them back at the one-yard line. But yeah, the return game was poor.

It was that weak.

It was not just weak, it was bad at times. I don’t think we got a kickoff past the 20yd line all night. If you’re that bad just let it go. Long kick return, penalty that took a possession away from us.

I’m sorry but missing a 54 yard field goal is not something that requires redemption. Missing a chip shot maybe but not one from 50+, even if we know DK has the leg to make a long kick like that.

My three takeaways:
Defense is the real deal. I saw a real push up front from the D-line.
Kaliakmanis is for real. Remember we were going up a renegade defense, and he got the job done. when our run game improves, kaliakmanis is going to slice and dice opponents.
Kesich closes the show. When have Had we such a big foot kicker?

I’m sorry but missing a 54 yard field goal is not something that requires redemption. Missing a chip shot maybe but not one from 50+, even if we know DK has the leg to make a long kick like that.

PJ said in his post-game press conference that his kicker routinely makes 65-yarders in practice, and he trusts his players.

PJ said in his post-game press conference that his kicker routinely makes 65-yarders in practice, and he trusts his players.

I am fine with kicking it but that's PJ defending PJ there.

Hopefully 🐲 can hit from 65 if we need it.

Think you missed my point. DK has the leg to kick a 54 yarder which is why Fleck had him try one. But missing a 50+ yard field goal isn't something that should fall in the special teams was a mess section of a story. And it certainly isn't something that the kicker should need redeem himself for. Even if a kicker has the leg to make long kicks like that they are still really tough field goals and many are going to get missed due to the length of the kick.

My three takeaways:
Defense is the real deal. I saw a real push up front from the D-line.
Kaliakmanis is for real. Remember we were going up a renegade defense, and he got the job done. when our run game improves, kaliakmanis is going to slice and dice opponents.
Kesich closes the show. When have Had we such a big foot kicker?
Rhys Lloyd had a leg and could routinely hit from deep 55+.

Top Bottom