Stadium experience for the family

Reaction score
Alright, I think it is fair to make a comparison. As a Gopher season ticket holder, a partial season Twins season ticket holder and having attended Sunday's home opener for the Vikings, I have come to some conclusions while comparing the fan experiences, taking into consideration everything I consider important at a game for my FAMILY. Overall, TCF Bank Stadium comes out ahead in relation to the two other options.
1. TCF Bank Stadium: Overall gameday experience with my 6-year-old daughter is superior, lifting it to the #1 spot. The band, the student section (I find it entertaining to watch), cheerleaders, Goldy, and seeing everybody in maroon and gold makes it a very interesting day. At Saturday's loss to USC, we had a great time. We like walking around the stadium before the game, as it still has a plaza like feel you don't get at Target Field.
2. Target Field: While it is better than TCF Bank in several ways (including concessions, concourse space and restrooms, as well as design (baseball stadiums by their very nature are more interesting and aesthetically pleasing than football fields), TCF is a more enjoyable family experience. There aren't cheerleaders, bands, etc., and for a family the little extras put the Bank over the top, although it is close. If I were going with a buddy, Target Field would be the choice. With the family, the Bank is the choice. At Target Field, it's simply get in the stadium and then the experience begins. At the Bank, it starts the moment we drive onto campus and see the frat houses with their pre-game parties.
3. Metrodome: Way behind in third place is the dome. There is only one way the dome and a Vikings game is more enjoyable and that is in the form of intensity. When the crowd gets into the game, you can feel the intensity. The sound is overwhelming, although a lot of it is WWF manufactured. But in every other way, it is miserable. Poor site lines, bad parking, drunk people all over the place. You're indoors. Everything feels contrived, and good luck getting through the concourses. And simply put - I would never take my children to a Vikings game. It's an R-rated affair.
Many of my friends and family think I am nuts for having Gophers season tickets, but each year I am giving some of them the chance to use the tickets so they can see what being at the Bank is all about. It is more than simply what goes on between the lines. Although, if/when the Gophers rebuild this program, the Bank will be an awesome place to experience college football.

Alright, I think it is fair to make a comparison. As a Gopher season ticket holder, a partial season Twins season ticket holder and having attended Sunday's home opener for the Vikings, I have come to some conclusions while comparing the fan experiences, taking into consideration everything I consider important at a game for my FAMILY. Overall, TCF Bank Stadium comes out ahead in relation to the two other options.
1. TCF Bank Stadium: Overall gameday experience with my 6-year-old daughter is superior, lifting it to the #1 spot. The band, the student section (I find it entertaining to watch), cheerleaders, Goldy, and seeing everybody in maroon and gold makes it a very interesting day. At Saturday's loss to USC, we had a great time. We like walking around the stadium before the game, as it still has a plaza like feel you don't get at Target Field.
2. Target Field: While it is better than TCF Bank in several ways (including concessions, concourse space and restrooms, as well as design (baseball stadiums by their very nature are more interesting and aesthetically pleasing than football fields), TCF is a more enjoyable family experience. There aren't cheerleaders, bands, etc., and for a family the little extras put the Bank over the top, although it is close. If I were going with a buddy, Target Field would be the choice. With the family, the Bank is the choice. At Target Field, it's simply get in the stadium and then the experience begins. At the Bank, it starts the moment we drive onto campus and see the frat houses with their pre-game parties.
3. Metrodome: Way behind in third place is the dome. There is only one way the dome and a Vikings game is more enjoyable and that is in the form of intensity. When the crowd gets into the game, you can feel the intensity. The sound is overwhelming, although a lot of it is WWF manufactured. But in every other way, it is miserable. Poor site lines, bad parking, drunk people all over the place. You're indoors. Everything feels contrived, and good luck getting through the concourses. And simply put - I would never take my children to a Vikings game. It's an R-rated affair.
Many of my friends and family think I am nuts for having Gophers season tickets, but each year I am giving some of them the chance to use the tickets so they can see what being at the Bank is all about. It is more than simply what goes on between the lines. Although, if/when the Gophers rebuild this program, the Bank will be an awesome place to experience college football.

I finally brought the family to their first Vikings game against Denver in the preseason. I have always been reluctant because some stories I've heard about people having to deal with potty mouth idiots when they bring there kids. We did not hear any of that where we were at so all in all it was a good time. I do have TCF bank season tickets also and it has been a great place for my kids so far.

I love going to TCF. I always find myself getting a little extra pumped on Friday nights before game days at TCF. I love going early, and I like to stay late if I am attending the game with other adults. I mix it up about 50/50 between family games and buddy games (or bringing other couples). I don't have Viking season tickets primarily because I'd only enjoy them when the team is good. I enjoy the college football experience regardless of the product on the field. However, don't get me wrong. I would LOVE to have a Big 10 contender to cheer for.

I have seen my share of victory walks, band pep fests, pre game beers at Sally's, etc. and I ALWAYS enjoy my time on campus. And saying that, I am not even a UofM alumni (I'm an MIAC dude). The one thing that I miss out on that I know I'd LOVE is tailgating. I park in the oak street ramp. Given the mixture of people I bring to the games, I know I'd probably only tailgate about half the time and the donation amounts to get a decent tailgate spot are just too steep. I'm willing to pay for it, just not $thousands$. I know there are inexpensive options off campus but I'm not interested in that.

Is it even a fair comparison?

I am not going to say you are wrong because it is your opinnion but just another take. I dont think it is a fair comparison for a couple reasons baseball and football are completely different animals. Would Target Field have been better if they would have had 24 cheerleaders chanting and leading cheers? I would be anoyed by it because Cheerleaders are not baseball. Just like I would be amazed if their were not cheerleaders at a football game. Football is simply different in that aspect of the sport.

I also think the College vs Pro aspect is very different. I think we are tied more to our amatuer teams. When I go back to my college its like I have never left even when the players have. When I go back to my high school its even more so. When I go to a Pro-Sport the feeling is different not sure why it simply is IMO. The college games are usually more intense and the fans are in the games a little more than in Pro games. I suppose it depends on who you are with and how the game goes but to me college games tend to be more about us against them my team against the world. In Pro sports I dont think people have the same feeling or not at that intense level.

I think Minnesota has put together two great experiences for the fans at both TCF Bank Stadium and Target Field and maybe they will do it again with the Vikings. That being said to me at some point the reason you go to a game is what is on the field. A beautiful stadium will only bring the fans in so many times at some point you need to provide the product and for the Gopher Football team that time is coming. We have been in TCF Bank Stadium for a full season now and I am sure the fans will keep coming back for the experience for a year or two more but at some point that experience as good as it may be wont keep them coming back without a good team to play on the field that was built. The same holds true for the Twins if and when they have to rebuild they will see attendance fall no matter how good the stadium is. College fans might be more loyal than Pro fans in terms of showing up to support an average to bad team but at some point you have to turn a corner.

New Rankings:

1 TCF
1A The Barn
3 Target Field
4 Vacated
8 Vikings/Mall of Minnesota Dome.

Taking children under the age of 18 to Vikings game is a form of child abuse.

Taking children under the age of 18 to Vikings game is a form of child abuse.

+1 I would never take my children to a Vikings game. It's just like Camp Randall...full of drunk idiots yelling vile things.

I am not going to say you are wrong because it is your opinnion but just another take. I dont think it is a fair comparison for a couple reasons baseball and football are completely different animals. Would Target Field have been better if they would have had 24 cheerleaders chanting and leading cheers? I would be anoyed by it because Cheerleaders are not baseball. Just like I would be amazed if their were not cheerleaders at a football game. Football is simply different in that aspect of the sport.

I also think the College vs Pro aspect is very different. I think we are tied more to our amatuer teams. When I go back to my college its like I have never left even when the players have. When I go back to my high school its even more so. When I go to a Pro-Sport the feeling is different not sure why it simply is IMO. The college games are usually more intense and the fans are in the games a little more than in Pro games. I suppose it depends on who you are with and how the game goes but to me college games tend to be more about us against them my team against the world. In Pro sports I dont think people have the same feeling or not at that intense level.

I think Minnesota has put together two great experiences for the fans at both TCF Bank Stadium and Target Field and maybe they will do it again with the Vikings. That being said to me at some point the reason you go to a game is what is on the field. A beautiful stadium will only bring the fans in so many times at some point you need to provide the product and for the Gopher Football team that time is coming. We have been in TCF Bank Stadium for a full season now and I am sure the fans will keep coming back for the experience for a year or two more but at some point that experience as good as it may be wont keep them coming back without a good team to play on the field that was built. The same holds true for the Twins if and when they have to rebuild they will see attendance fall no matter how good the stadium is. College fans might be more loyal than Pro fans in terms of showing up to support an average to bad team but at some point you have to turn a corner.

I agree with much of what you say. I also am not a U of M alumnus. Winona State. And I'm also a baseball guy at heart, and you're right, baseball is completely different and more laid back. That being said, they may not be fair to compare, but at the same time, I was judging it based upon only my opinion on the family experience. Baseball for young kids isn't that much fun, because they don't understand the finer nuances of the game. Football is simpler, and that helps the whole family (wife and kids) enjoy the game.

I love going to TCF. I always find myself getting a little extra pumped on Friday nights before game days at TCF. I love going early, and I like to stay late if I am attending the game with other adults. I mix it up about 50/50 between family games and buddy games (or bringing other couples). I don't have Viking season tickets primarily because I'd only enjoy them when the team is good. I enjoy the college football experience regardless of the product on the field. However, don't get me wrong. I would LOVE to have a Big 10 contender to cheer for.

I have seen my share of victory walks, band pep fests, pre game beers at Sally's, etc. and I ALWAYS enjoy my time on campus. And saying that, I am not even a UofM alumni (I'm an MIAC dude). The one thing that I miss out on that I know I'd LOVE is tailgating. I park in the oak street ramp. Given the mixture of people I bring to the games, I know I'd probably only tailgate about half the time and the donation amounts to get a decent tailgate spot are just too steep. I'm willing to pay for it, just not $thousands$. I know there are inexpensive options off campus but I'm not interested in that.

Amen. I'm the exact same way.

With that said, I just took in my first Target Field game yesterday. And while it was a loss, I had a blast. The fans we sat next to were as nice as ever, I could imagine taking my future kids there with zero problems. The section we were in had 3 foul balls.. Makes for a VERY exciting day. The smell of all the great food at Target Field was something that I never experienced before (not even at the Bank). And is WAAAAY better than the stale hot dog smell you get at the Dome.

I'd have to put TCF and Target Field at the top, with neither one above the other. The X is a VERY close second (only reason why is the Fog Horn is pretty loud and I couldn't imagine bringing any really young kids there, unlike at Target Field or the Bank). The Dome? At the bottom.

I personally feel that we are starting to luck out.. The TC has now 3 of the top 10 (personal opinion) sporting venues for overall atmosphere. Would be nice to see the Vikings continue the trend.

So I guess that makes me a bad parent unlike some of the prudes on this board. My kids are only 3 and 8 months but I would definetly take them to a Vikings game when they are old enough. As long as your in the lower level its not bad at all. Seeing the enjoyment they would get from the experiene of being at a live Vikings game will outweigh them hearing a couple cuss words.

I've brought kids to both TCF and Target Field and it is pretty easy in both cases. I'm a big fan of the numerous family bathrooms at Target Field--makes a trip to the bathroom for the newly potty-trained much easier (I think there are a couple at TCF as well?). One thing that is probably a bit easier at Target Field is going out to grab concessions, but other than that they are both pretty family friendly.

New Rankings:

1 TCF
1A The Barn
3 Target Field
4 Vacated
8 Vikings/Mall of Minnesota Dome.

I used to have The Barn as number one, but the last 10 years or so have really killed the atmosphere in there. Advertisements during timeouts, lack of the Rouser, mediocre play, etc. I personally think the whole package at Target Field is better (ease of parking, concessions, wins!), but TCF is a great place to spend a Saturday and we are lucky to have both.

I used to have The Barn as number one, but the last 10 years or so have really killed the atmosphere in there. Advertisements during timeouts, lack of the Rouser, mediocre play, etc. I personally think the whole package at Target Field is better (ease of parking, concessions, wins!), but TCF is a great place to spend a Saturday and we are lucky to have both.

Just goes to show-I haven't been to a game in the Barn for about nine years. I'm a former season ticket holder(split) and always loved the electricity in the place. I've read with interest the threads on the promos in the Barn and I am saddened to hear what has happened.

I was at TCF for the Cal game last year and am going to the Northwestern game this year. I see some of the same things happening there.

Maybe it is time to drop some non rev sports and bring back/create the game day atmosphere at the Barn and TCF-The two that produce the revenue.

TCF Bank Stadium by a mile.

Hated sitting in the third deck. I didn't think the concourses were all that wide and concessions on third deck aren't anything special. I felt like the stadium is crammed into a postage stamp and plaza is small. Only advantage-you can beer.

I give TCF a slight edge over Target Field. Very slight. Both are fantastic. One edge for Target Field is the real grass that doesn't have an annoying reflection when the sun is out. Big edge to TCF is no bad seats in the house.
I scored some free Viking tickets last year. I actually left a competitive game in the third quarter due to the hundreds of drunks in my section heaping profane verbal abuse on the Cincinnati Bengals. It completely destroyed my enjoyment of the game. And this is from someone who doesn't shy away from the cocktail scene.
The funny thing is that most of those making asses of themselves really had no understanding of football, instead choosing to scream at Carson Palmer and whoever else that they're "fu*^$%g ass%#^&".......I'll never go there again.

Does any city have a better collection of venues than we do?

-TCF Bank Stadium (I think top 5 in the B10)
-Target Field (Top 3 in MLB)
-The Barn (Top 3 in B10)
-Xcel Energy Center (Best in NHL)
-Mariucci Arena (Top 3 in NCAA MH)
-National Sports Center (Huge asset to the area imo)
-Metrodome (Still serviceable for NFL, but a new one would really make this list unbeatable)
-Target Center (Decent)

I've been taking my 7 and 9-year-old boys to Gopher Football and basketball games ever since they were infants. They absolutely love going.

It means a lot to me because of my own experiences. My family left Minnesota and moved to Longmont Colorado when I was 5 (about 20 minutes away from Boulder). My dad and I would attend 1 or 2 CU games per year as I grew up. I have almost nothing in common with my dad and he was, at best, a poor parent, but my recollections of going to those games with him are the highlight of my relationship with my dad.

I also take my kids to the Twins once or twice a summer, but they get bored silly. That's just the nature of baseball.

Like others, I would never take my kids to a Vikings game. There's too much drunkenness, bad behavior and misplaced (or maybe pretent) testosterone there for my sensibilities, let alone exposing my kids to that scene. Personally, I view the NFL to be about as classy as a monster truck rally, but that's just me. No thanks.

I have season tickets for the Goph's and partial season tickets for the Twins.

I've had season tickets for the Wolves in the past and still go to several Gopher hoops games every year(had seson tickets while in high school -80's).

I've had single game Vikings tickets over the years but always have sold them. But being a Gopher fan-I'm experienced with the dome.

I haven't been to a Gopher hockey game in years and have never seen a Wild game, but have been to the stadium.

Here is my take on this topic.

TCF game day experience is the best by far. Nothing comes even close. Great building-great sport-etc.

Target Field is the best building (park) by far-no contest. Baseball can't hang with a football game on a Sat. though. They really hit this one out of the park... sorry for the pun.

Xcell Center. Not an NHL fan, but that stadium is really nice.

The Barn. Very fond memories, but Monson and the marketing team really sucked some life out of that place. Still is a top-notch place when loud. Can't imagine the U without it.

The Dome. Sucks period. Worst baseball park ever. I'm not a big Vikings fan, so I can't comment on a Sunday gameday experience. I imagine I'd hate it though.

Target Center. One of the worst NBA joints around. Seriously bad venue. Terrible team-terrible owner-terrible fans-terrible atmosphere. The Dome was a better place to watch a hoops game. I actually fell asleep at a Wolves game a few years ago.

I think we do have four awesome venues to choose from: Barn-TCF-Target Field-XCell.

Blow-up the Dome and Target Center.

Great post and great topic. With The Bank being first of course, and like several others here, I'd put the Barn in there at #2, probably right behind Target Field (which I really like, despite being a Tigers fan). Glad to hear that most everyone is finding the two newest stadiums in the area to be so family friendly.

For Gopher football gamedays now, I really love just getting down by stadium and the atmosphere. For the NIU game coming up, I'm looking forward to taking my two sons (ages 3 and 6) to the game. They've been at games in the Metrodome when they were younger, but never seemed to get into the atmosphere too much (shocking, huh?) They've been down around TCF before a game, but never inside. I think they'll love it, and given our seat location (R1 in 219), there will be lots to watch (Goldy, cheerleaders, band, students, etc). I'll use those awesome mini-donuts they make right behind my section to tide them over if they get restless...

Agreed. TCF is a more enjoyable family experience compared to the Dome. We want to raise our boys as Gophers and that is the reason we get four seats. That being said, I'd take my kids to Vikings games in a second. They love the NFL experience. It all depends on how close the idiots are to your seats. We've been close to some at both venues. My senior citizen, Michigan State Alum, parents have never been treated more rudely at any Big Ten stadium than they were in our season ticket seats at last years MSU/Gopher game.

Does any city have a better collection of venues than we do?

-TCF Bank Stadium (I think top 5 in the B10)
-Target Field (Top 3 in MLB)
-The Barn (Top 3 in B10)
-Xcel Energy Center (Best in NHL)
-Mariucci Arena (Top 3 in NCAA MH)
-National Sports Center (Huge asset to the area imo)
-Metrodome (Still serviceable for NFL, but a new one would really make this list unbeatable)
-Target Center (Decent)

Hate to say this...but the Philadelphia Pro Sports Facilities and the Meadowlands with the new Jets stadium plus others are way better than the Pro facilities in MN. Metrodump and Target Center don't even come close.

As for college stuff, I love TCF and the barn and mariucci and wouldn't trade them for anything!

Top Bottom