Stadium area, Williams, Mariucci

maroonfive

Reaction score
This area by TCF, Williams, and Mariucci seems to be coming into its own and on gameday it is going to be fantastic.
I know that some football stadiums have statues of former players and it would make sense to have one of Bronko Nagurski and Bruce Smith among others. That would be great.
It seems this whole area is now identified with our whole athletic department. It would be great if there could be a statue of Goldy somewhere. A great meeting place and to have group pics with Goldy on gameday. Just a thought and it would add spirit to the whole area.

Go Gophers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

There is a statue of Goldy right by Cooke Hall. It's a little ways away from the general area of TCF-Williams-Mariucci, but not too far.

This area by TCF, Williams, and Mariucci seems to be coming into its own and on gameday it is going to be fantastic.
I know that some football stadiums have statues of former players and it would make sense to have one of Bronko Nagurski and Bruce Smith among others. That would be great.
It seems this whole area is now identified with our whole athletic department. It would be great if there could be a statue of Goldy somewhere. A great meeting place and to have group pics with Goldy on gameday. Just a thought and it would add spirit to the whole area.

Go Gophers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Completely agree, especially with the sentiment about how cool it is to have the U's three biggest sports venues all within a minute (literally) of each other. It's almost like that part of Dinkytown could be referred to as "sportstown" with each of the major venues (TCF Bank Stadium, Mariucci and Williams Arenas, not to mention the Sports Pavilion and Ridder Arena also being right there as well).

Also agree that a statue outside of TCF Bank Stadium would be nice, whether it be of Goldy or of Bronko Nagurski. Those are the two that I would prefer, at least off the top of my head.

CIt's almost like that part of Dinkytown could be referred to as "sportstown" with each of the major venues (TCF Bank Stadium, Mariucci and Williams Arenas, not to mention the Sports Pavilion and Ridder Arena also being right there as well).

Great point! Maybe we could even name the area 'stadium village' or something along those lines. . .

Great point! Maybe we could even name the area 'stadium village' or something along those lines. . .

BRILLIANT!
brilliant_medium.jpg

Let's not make the mistake Wisconsin did with "Obie"

the phallic figure that looks like a syphillitic penis. Maybe it's an homage to Barry after he got caught with the cheerleader early in his head coaching tenure. Chancre, anyone?

Lipske-1.jpg

the phallic figure that looks like a syphillitic penis. Maybe it's an homage to Barry after he got caught with the cheerleader early in his head coaching tenure. Chancre, anyone?

Lipske-1.jpg

I'd like to blow up that POS. It's hideous. To think that some artist sent in a PO and got paid thousand for an ear of corn.

I'd like to blow up that POS. It's hideous. To think that some artist sent in a PO and got paid thousand for an ear of corn.
What is the story behind it? I've never seen it before, it's not very aesthetically pleasing.

What is the story behind it? I've never seen it before, it's not very aesthetically pleasing.

It's even worse up close in person. I heard the story once and it was so unremarkable that I forgot it almost immediately. The artist was some what famous and was laughing all the way to the bank with his six figure check. We call it Obie.

you get to pick your poison with Camp Randall sculpture...the other side of the stadium has the large bronze statue of one Barry Alvarez.
So strange to see a large bronze statue of a guy who is still alive and looks about the same now as he does in bronze. It is almost Saddam/Lenin-esque. I have never heard a positive word about either piece of artwork from any Madisonian.

That picture also shows why I always rate Camp Randall further down on my list of Big Ten stadiums.....take a look behind Obie. all you see is a boring concrete mess. In their haste to make a bigger stadium they forgot what the stadium was going to look like from the outside. Granted, 30 years ago that wasn't the norm in stadium architecture but to me less is a bore. Soo many stadiums, especially SEC teams, look like erector sets with exposed beams and circulation ramps.

Im not toting TCF Bank any better than these stadiums but I was very pleased to see that we hid our accessible ramp behind the enclosed walls of the stadium. Remember in early schematic designs for the stadium? The ones where we had those huge beer can looking ramp enclosures in the end zones? Thank God we didn't go with that firm. I saw those and I cringed.

I think it would be great to have statues in front of TCF, Williams, and Mariucci. The statues should be players or coaches. I don't think we need one of Goldy.

Edit: Everyone I know here in Madison HATES that statue. They are embarrassed and wish they'd tear it down.

There is that little odd-shaped space across the street from TCF, in front of Williams. Perhaps that would be a great place for a little "monument park" dedicated to various greats from each sport. It would be fun to linger between statues of Dave Winfield, Bronko, Bruce Smith, Molitor, Broten, etc.

There is that little odd-shaped space across the street from TCF, in front of Williams. Perhaps that would be a great place for a little "monument park" dedicated to various greats from each sport. It would be fun to linger between statues of Dave Winfield, Bronko, Bruce Smith, Molitor, Broten, etc.

This is a great idea! Add Kevin Mchale to that list as well. I would really love to see something like that.

There is a statue of Goldy right by Cooke Hall. It's a little ways away from the general area of TCF-Williams-Mariucci, but not too far.

I have two pictures taken next to that statue. One from the last day of my orientation, and one from my graduation day. Surprisingly, in the later I have 15 more lbs. and darker circles under my eyes. Not sure how that happened?

You mean that area in front of Williams where they'll start work on Tubby's new practice facility in a year or so?;)

Name

I realize 'Stadium Village' is a long time tradition but we have a new stadium(the main feature) and a new area, time for a new name. How about 'Gopher Park' with signs posted entering and leaving "Gopher Park'. "Stadium Village' could refer to any school whereas only the U of M can have a "Gopher Park'.

'TCF Stadium at Stadium Village' Where is that?

I realize 'Stadium Village' is a long time tradition but we have a new stadium(the main feature) and a new area, time for a new name. How about 'Gopher Park' with signs posted entering and leaving "Gopher Park'. "Stadium Village' could refer to any school whereas only the U of M can have a "Gopher Park'.

'TCF Stadium at Stadium Village' Where is that?

Sorry station19, I couldn't disagree more. Stadium Village is Stadium Village and shouldn't change names.

Exactly. I remember the billboard on top of Stub and Herbs that said: Stadium Village, now with stadium. Made me smile :)

Exactly. I remember the billboard on top of Stub and Herbs that said: Stadium Village, now with stadium. Made me smile :)

Exactly what I was thinking about when I responded. That was the best of the billboards, which may have been the best Gopher sports marketing we've seen in the last ten years plus.

Top Bottom