Stability vs Upward Trajectory in the B1G West

Unless you are going to play a complete round-robin schedule (which is not feasible), you CANNOT get rid of divisions.
Those rules were suspended last year. The ACC did not have divisions for the covid season.

They are putting forth a proposal to make the covid version of the rule, be the permanent rule.

I also like the 9 game conference season.
Why is it good to have 4 home conference games and 5 away conference games in a season?

Coaches are unanimously against that and think it should be balanced, one way or the other.

SEC and ACC only play 8 conference games a season, thus putting Big Ten teams at a disadvantage.

Nope, literally never said any such thing. So now you're just a liar. Pathetic

You're even more crabby than usual today. This division thing has become your great white whale; you're obsessed. Put down that harpoon, Ahab; you're likely to hurt yourself.

Why is it good to have 4 home conference games and 5 away conference games in a season?

Coaches are unanimously against that and think it should be balanced, one way or the other.

SEC and ACC only play 8 conference games a season, thus putting Big Ten teams at a disadvantage.
Because it is better for the sport. The SEC is pathetic for how they schedule. They get the media to artificially inflate their rankings pre-season, then knock one another off but stay ranked high "because reasons". Then they schedule cup cake FCS teams in November to ensure they don't drop. It's bad for the sport.

The time is coming when conference champions will automatically get into the playoff so the 9-game conference schedule won't hurt the champion.

Because it is better for the sport. The SEC is pathetic for how they schedule. They get the media to artificially inflate their rankings pre-season, then knock one another off but stay ranked high "because reasons". Then they schedule cup cake FCS teams in November to ensure they don't drop. It's bad for the sport.

The time is coming when conference champions will automatically get into the playoff so the 9-game conference schedule won't hurt the champion.

I think we may be on the cusp of seeing the SEC's little scam collapse upon itself. Lincoln Riley might be the first sign. The rest of the college football world is getting fed up.

Don't overplay your hand, SEC. Even in a rigged game.

This division thing has become your great white whale
Could be. I've been known to die on some weird hills.

Thank you for agreeing that you lied about me saying that I wanted to watch coaches pad up and play on the field, when I said no such thing. Thanks

Easy to make an argument that 8conf/4nonconf is better for the sport: allows more opportunities for P5 vs P5 nonconf games, to mix things up more.

Also keep in mind we have the Alliance now. So each Big Ten team could be seeing two non-conf games per year against PAC and ACC opponents. That would necessitate going to 8 conf games per year, to then allow each Big Ten team to have 7 home games (last two non-conf being buy games).

I think that's perfectly good for the sport and a great thing frankly.

As to your comments about SEC rankings and scheduling - I don't disagree, but that doesn't really have anything to do with why they have to stay at 8 instead of going up to 9.

Problem for them is that four teams in each are locked into an intra-state non-conf battle (FSU Florda, GTech UGA, Clemson SC, Louisville KY), so that is a defacto ninth game for those four.

Then those tend to schedule cupcake FCS games the week before the rivalry matchup. Bama and Auburn do the same before the Iron Bowl, Miss schools do the same before the Egg Bowl, etc.

Could be. I've been known to die on some weird hills.

Thank you for agreeing that you lied about me saying that I wanted to watch coaches pad up and play on the field, when I said no such thing. Thanks

You are known to be quite unique, that's for sure.

Was listening to a podcast with Reusse. He said Joel Maturi told him that Jim Delaney was in favor of adjusting the divisions to have more parity between the divisions. Apparently that was something Delaney felt was a priority - hence the "Leaders" and "Legends" experiment.

realistically, the way the teams are laid out makes sense if you have an East/West split.

Otherwise, as noted, the other option is to eliminate the divisions and take the top two teams for the Conference Championship game. Tie-breaking procedures would still be in effect. I could live with that.

You would have to designate certain "rivalry" games to be held every year. the issue is what to do with teams that have multiple rivalry games like MN. do you protect MN-WI or MN-IA?

Top Bottom