St Thomas Gets Approval for D1 Starting 2021-22

Ignatius L Hoops

Reaction score

The Tommies announced that they will join the Summit League for 19 of their 22 sports, the Pioneer Football League and the Western Collegiate Hockey Association for women's hockey. St. Thomas will also find a new conference home for Division I men's hockey.

Two things make it a smart financial choice:

Low travel cost for UST. Therefore, low guarantee

More tickets sold than a game vs Directional State.

Now Whalen will have competition for D1 recruits? It’s tough enough when she didn’t have competition. :unsure:

I think the UST Women's team might benefit from this elevation than the Men's team, but it all really comes down to the recruiters they bring in.

A lot of good MN HS talent, especially one on the women's side end up at places like Lehigh or Winthrop now, but might stay at home if they don't quite make the Big Ten standard, but have an option now.

Males might be more inclined to ditch it and move far way for a more known, but lesser program but that might be a sexist assumption. UST with the right coach might be able to build a monster program due to the sheer amount of talent in the TC area, even if they rely on rebound recruits that flame out and are looking for landing spot. I think the MVC team are gong to have their hands full with UST in Basketball, both teams.

Marcus Fuller:

Much like the midcourt image on St. Thomas’ brand-spanking-new basketball court, the Division III basketball programs of Johnny Tauer and Ruth Sinn loom large in the state of Minnesota.

The same could be said about the grand opportunity Tommies men’s and women’s basketball could have for immediate success after jumping up two divisions this week.

The Tommies can start playing a Division I schedule in 2021-22 but won’t be eligible for the NCAA men’s and women’s basketball tournaments until four years later.

Still, St. Thomas’ two basketball programs are in prime position to taste early success after this historic jump from Division III.

“Our mission at St. Thomas is to maximize our potential. To really be our best,” Sinn said. “I think this is going to be a challenge. But we’re going to learn, grow and embrace this challenge. … There are so many possibilities.”

If they are going D-1, does that mean that they can now offer scholarships?

If they are going D-1, does that mean that they can now offer scholarships?
Don't know, but presumably. Wonder if they have to wait to offer scholarships just like they have to wait to compete in NCAA D1 tourneys.

Historically, I've been a huge UST hoops fan, but lately have been more focused on the Gophers (only a limited amount of time to attend sports). I watched Johnny Tauer play in their old barn. Their mens team always sold out and was usually quite good. But I was a UST WBB fan back in the golden days under Ted Riverso (also former Gopher WBB assistant coach and current Augsburg coach) when (in spite of winning a natty and virtually always being in the D3 Final Four) the women's team home-game attendence included the players' families, players' friends, players' boyfriends, plus about a half-dozen true fans including me.

Welcome to the big time, UST hoops!

Last edited:

Top Bottom