Sports Huddle with Sid and Dave

Wheaton

Reaction score
Anyone listen to this show on Sundays?

Where do they get these callers? These callers are rarely critical of Brewster and judging by their questions most are as delusional as Brewster himself.

I can't listen live as I don't live in the TC's and don't get WCCO, but if I could I would call in. It is frustrating to me how this show is run!

My favorite Huddle caller is the guy who calls every week and asks Sid when the Strib is going to bring back the Peach section. There's another guy who calls often and he's got the "cool guy" radio voice. Pretty sure he's probably a radio announcer in some small town somewhere.

I heard a caller a couple of weeks ago ask Brewster, "You haven't won a trophy game. You haven't beaten a ranked team. When you go home at night, what do you tell yourself..." and then he got "cut off." One caller this past Sunday called and laughed at Brewster after Brew said the goal is to be bowl eligible. Sure they lob a lot of softballs at him but once in a while someone gets through and fires one off. I assume they have to lie to the call-screener to get on the air.

The Sports Huddle was never meant to be 60 Miniutes.

Listen onlinne.

http://www.windowsmedia.com/radioui/Search.aspx
enter; 830 wcco

It doesn't have to be a raking-over-the-coals type interview, but how about a little media integrity? It is the job of the media to ask tough questions. Questions as simply as "How do you propose you win those next 5 games to become bowl eligible when the competition only gets tougher?"

My favorite Huddle caller is the guy who calls every week and asks Sid when the Strib is going to bring back the Peach section. There's another guy who calls often and he's got the "cool guy" radio voice. Pretty sure he's probably a radio announcer in some small town somewhere.

I heard a caller a couple of weeks ago ask Brewster, "You haven't won a trophy game. You haven't beaten a ranked team. When you go home at night, what do you tell yourself..." and then he got "cut off." One caller this past Sunday called and laughed at Brewster after Brew said the goal is to be bowl eligible. Sure they lob a lot of softballs at him but once in a while someone gets through and fires one off. I assume they have to lie to the call-screener to get on the air.

Does the Skipper ever call in? He was a long time 'FAN caller who switched to WCCO at some point. Goood morninggg gentlemennnn

There is asking questions, and there is being an ass. It doesn't matter what type of call-in show it is, sports or otherwise, but if you're an ass, you're going to get cut off. You can ask pretty much the same question without being an ass, and you probably won't get cut off.

Anyone listen to this show on Sundays?

Where do they get these callers? These callers are rarely critical of Brewster and judging by their questions most are as delusional as Brewster himself.

I can't listen live as I don't live in the TC's and don't get WCCO, but if I could I would call in. It is frustrating to me how this show is run!

Key words: how this show is run... there is a screening process to get on the air, and even then, there is a 8-10 sec. delay... if the board-op so chooses, could dump any caller, and the producer can pick-and-choose who he allows on-the-air.

It doesn't have to be a raking-over-the-coals type interview, but how about a little media integrity? It is the job of the media to ask tough questions. Questions as simply as "How do you propose you win those next 5 games to become bowl eligible when the competition only gets tougher?"

Media integrity and Sid only appear in the same sentence when pointing out that they are mutually exclusive. :D

Doogie, did they do the same thing for Tom Kelly's shows? I can remember a couple of callers getting through, ask a stupid question, and Kelly would rip on them.

They ripped Brewster pretty good on Oct 3.

Maybe half were tough calls.

'Why are you incompetent?'...etc. Pointless.

Brewster handled it with class.

Maybe half were tough calls.

'Why are you incompetent?'...etc. Pointless.

Brewster handled it with class.

Why do the callers have to be the one with the tough calls? Thats my point, cut out the middle idiot who asks the dumb question and have the hosts man up and do it themselves.

Doogie, did they do the same thing for Tom Kelly's shows? I can remember a couple of callers getting through, ask a stupid question, and Kelly would rip on them.

Not sure... although TK enjoyed the back-and-forth... he loved challenging what those callers had to say.

Key words: how this show is run... there is a screening process to get on the air, and even then, there is a 8-10 sec. delay... if the board-op so chooses, could dump any caller, and the producer can pick-and-choose who he allows on-the-air.

I'm sure this isn't new information to you but this is how every radio call-in show I've ever heard of operates, SOP.

It's even funnier listening to Dave Lee talk to Maturi on Monday mornings.
Lee: Well it was a great weekend for Gopher sports. The volleyball team won twice, and the womens' cross country team placed second at the Cyclone Invite.
Maturi: We're proud of all our teams, Dave. The volleyball team has a game this Sunday against a great Iowa team. It should be very exciting.
Lee: The mens' and womens' hockey teams have started practice, and they'll each play exhibition games this weekend at home.
Maturi: Yeah Dave. I can't believe hockey season is here. Winter is right around the corner.
Lee: And it was a lovely day for football on Saturday at TCF Bank Stadium. It was a great college atmosphere.
Maturi: Yes Dave, we have one of the finest stadiums in the country...and it's great to have football back on campus.
Lee: Thanks Joel! Joel Maturi. Every Monday. Brought to you by blah blah blah...

It's even funnier listening to Dave Lee talk to Maturi on Monday mornings.
Lee: Well it was a great weekend for Gopher sports. The volleyball team won twice, and the womens' cross country team placed second at the Cyclone Invite.
Maturi: We're proud of all our teams, Dave. The volleyball team has a game this Sunday against a great Iowa team. It should be very exciting.
Lee: The mens' and womens' hockey teams have started practice, and they'll each play exhibition games this weekend at home.
Maturi: Yeah Dave. I can't believe hockey season is here. Winter is right around the corner.
Lee: And it was a lovely day for football on Saturday at TCF Bank Stadium. It was a great college atmosphere.
Maturi: Yes Dave, we have one of the finest stadiums in the country...and it's great to have football back on campus.
Lee: Thanks Joel! Joel Maturi. Every Monday. Brought to you by blah blah blah...

I did not hear that but I totally believe that could be word for word!

I'm sure this isn't new information to you but this is how every radio call-in show I've ever heard of operates, SOP.

The difference being... at many stations, 19-year-old interns screen many of the calls... at WCCO, it's a long-time union employee... who do you think is easier to get by?

Top Bottom