Sports Huddle: Coach Kill - 10/30/11

DL65

Reaction score
Coach Kill's comments today following yesterday's 22-21 over the Iowa Hawkeyes:

Dave Mona opened the show talking about yesterday's fans participation in the game. He said a lot is said about the student section and correctly so, however, yesterday the 50-60 year-olds were making noise, too.

1) Sid - Crowd noise during the last four downs by Iowa: Kill, "Fans were the difference in the game. Great atmosphere." Kill went on to say the Hawks struggled with the crowd noise, especially the last four downs. Vanderberg appeared to have had a hard time checking off and getting the info to his teammates because of the crowd.

2) Kicker Jordan Wettstein: A walkon kicker that didn't play football in high school; he was a soccer player. Kill said, "Eyes big as quarters when I told him he would do all of the kicking (kick-offs, PaT and field goals).

3) Caleb Bak offensive lineman from Columbia Heights: He filled in for Tommy Olson when he was injured. He's a walkon and was on the 3rd string, but they've been working individually with him lately as the offense line's injuries have mounted. He didn't practice last spring; focused on classroom studies.

4) Kyle Henderson: A walkon that didn't start at MSU-Mankato. Has worked hard and will graduate in December, and he's received a scholarship that Kill had to give. Henderson had the big sack that casued the Iowa fumble when the Hawkeyes were driving. The fumble recovery was made by Kirksey.

5) Team play: "The kids played hard . . . We did some dumb things, which is frustrating (penalties) . . . must cut down on the mistakes."

6) Marqueis: "Marqueis had a good game." "Played well and showed good leadership including on the sideline."

7) Kim Royston (16 tackles): "Played with pride and dignity." Kill said Christyn Lewis is a little too light for the big running back (Marcus Coker) and tackles were being made six or seven yards down field; Royston, however, was sticking his head in the runner and making the tackle.

8) Mona asked three specific questions: a) narrowed offensive line sets - Kill: "Protection was outstanding." They've been working hard, together. They've encountered a lot of injuries. b) Ra'Shede Hageman - Put in because of injuries . . . still learning (started on offense when he came to Minnesota) . . . he's gaining great experience by playing. c) Devin Crawford-Tufts: "He's gotten better and better - blocks well." He's now catching the ball with his hands instead of the body. He's going to be great; only a freshman."

9) Three sacks in the game: "Crowd noise helped, especially on third downs." "QB was not able to check off because of the crowd noise."

10) Bennett: "Took a good ripping for his fumble." "Proud of the way he came back from the fumble - he bounced back." "Coming back and winning in the fourth quarter was big for us."

11) Kill has questions about the "chop block" calls and is going to call conference officials about the penalty and how it's being called. "Motion penalty came at the worst time."

12) Dan Oreske: "Has a great leg . . . great hang time on punts (not being returned) . . . working on his confidence (he's a young kid).

13) Sid was positive about the defensive line: Kill, however, said, "We'll know more when we review film." "Coker ran over us." Still a lot to learn - (players) need to know what they do."

14) "Never felt better for the kids than yesterday. Great feeling." Appreciated the many past letterman that visited the lockerroom yesterday before the game and the encouragement that they gave the team.

15) Time of possession in the fourth quarter: Kill said the offense stepped up, and they needed to - defense was gassed. Onside kick was big. (Iowa, I believe, ran only seven plays in the 4th, if my memory serves me correctly).

Go Gophers!!

15) Time of possession in the fourth quarter: Kill said the offense stepped up, and they needed to - defense was gassed. Onside kick was big. (Iowa, I believe, ran only seven plays in the 4th, if my memory serves me correctly).

Go Gophers!!

Thanks, as always.

I think the paper says that Iowa had the ball for 95 seconds in the 4th quarter. That's damn impressive.

Yeah DL, thanks a lot for posting this recap. I look forward to this more than anything else on this board.

Thanks as always, DL65! I know we have a significant number of players from Minnesota on the team, but coach Kill usually lets us know how they are doing on a regular basis and Mona of course points them out too. It has been said many times here, but our nucleus should be Minnesotans and they can and do contribute big time.

Thanks again for this week's recap, DL.

Appreciate the recap. On Crawford-Tufts, he should have been gone for a TD on that first catch, he seemed to never get up to full speed after hauling in that catch behind the defense.

Top Bottom