Spokesman-Recorder: Glimpse of a rarity—a Black Gopher fan; Contrary to some people’s belief, Blacks do like Gopher football

I feel like we have a few black fans around us at games, though I can't say how many. I find it interesting that the article didn't give any suggestions about what the U can do to encourage more African Americans at games. No discussion about the barriers (cost was mentioned, but that applies to everyone) or solutions.
The idea the U should do something specific based on race only feeds the destructive idea skin color makes us different. We are not different because of skin. All fans share the desire to support a well-coached successful team.

JFC you guys are priceless. How man of you even read the article?

First, it's an article written for a newspaper written for black people. That's the audience. It wasn't written for the GopherHole, yet every piece of nonsense gets posted here regardless.

Second, race baiting? Again did you even read it? It was more light hearted than anything. It was simply pointing out that most people at Gopher games are white. Which is definitely true.

So in an article written for black people in a publication that is targeted for black people, he is trying to get more black people to attend games.

What a scandal. Big fucking deal.

**Now, if you want a real example of ridiculousness by this publication, Larry Fitzgerald once wrote (after Clem was fired) that Clem shouldn't have been fired and that we actually should have been thanking him simply because he got Joel Pryzbilla to sign here. That outweighed the entire academic scandal. How do I know that? Because it was posted on the good old GopherHole.
Holy shit. Survey says, "Thorazine", my man. You should look into it.

Just a small bit of advice, and it's free advice at that! What could be better?!

What's weird about this article is that when we enter a sports stadium/arena or even a bar to watch a game, we almost always feel we are connected to others who are wearing maroon and gold, purple and gold, or iron range red, forest green, harvest gold, Minnesota wheat, and white. When I go to a game, the color I'm wearing or you're wearing means more then skin color ever will. The same reason I love cheering for American teams in the olympics or international competition.

While the article may be driving awareness or trying to drive more fans to the games, its also dividing what is already there. A fan base that is almost always united in one thing. We want to see our
I feel like we have a few black fans around us at games, though I can't say how many. I find it interesting that the article didn't give any suggestions about what the U can do to encourage more African Americans at games. No discussion about the barriers (cost was mentioned, but that applies to everyone) or solutions.
Its funny to me. So are we trying to force X- amount of black people to become Gopher fans? To the point they actually care about spending time and money to go to an actual game. That seems like we are going backwards as a society forcing who you should like as a sports teams. Its almost like forcing religion on someone.

until someone says “there are X number of black gopher Football fans and we should “aim” for this % to come to the game. This article is stupid.

The idea the U should do something specific based on race only feeds the destructive idea skin color makes us different. We are not different because of skin. All fans share the desire to support a well-coached successful team.
The only _maybe_ thing that I thought about this article was a marketing standpoint (I don't think that was the point of the author though). As we all know there are marketing demographics (age, gender, subculture). "Black" is probably too broad of a category for marketing purposes though. I don't think the Gophers do much advertising at all, so it's not like they are just neglecting certain populations. I'm all for maximizing the fan base and increasing ticket sales however it may be done.

Just a reminder. It's National Whiners Day today.

Well, the S-R is the traditional black newspaper in the Twin Cities, so it would stand to reason that they would cover things from that perspective.
It would stand to reason they would find actual issues for their community. This is a prime example of "when you're a hammer, everything's a nail". This article makes the newspaper and author look absolutely ridiculous, not because they want to write an article from an African American's perspective but because they tried to shoehorn this "issue" into that perspective.

How many gopher fans are nose pickers vs ball scratchers?

Top Bottom