Spann-Ford highest rated TE

Thought I saw a discussion about whether or not he'd be "on the bench" or unplayable in certain situations. Maybe I skimmed too fast and missed some context.
Was talking about last season

Do you disagree that he was a packaged player more than an every down player? Because that is what I have stated
I don't think most of us understood that when you said that BSF rode the bench last year you meant he played over half the snaps. If what you believe is as follows: ride the bench = package player = >50% snaps, you just have quirky definitions that you didn't explain.

Yeah so he was packaged into being a part time player yet everyone here is offended I called him a part time player.

So you agree with me but you’re mad at me? I don’t get it
Think at one point you were saying he couldn't get on the field because he can't block.

I don't think most of us understood that when you said that BSF rode the bench last year you meant he played over half the snaps. If what you believe is as follows: ride the bench = package player = >50% snaps, you just have quirky definitions that you didn't explain.
BSF was not an every down player. I’m not sure I ever used the term ride the bench or rode the bench. I would be surprised if I did. I may have said on the bench. Which is where a package is when it isn’t on the field.

Package player means the same thing as not and every down player.

My bad for you not understanding me. I should have been clearer. I’m not trying to be a hot take machine.

Think at one point you were saying he couldn't get on the field because he can't block.
The fact that he isn’t a good enough blocker is why we played an ineligible number and only had 4 eligibles instead of playing a great receiving tight end. Yes.

Last year the coaches chose to not have a 5th eligible rather than have him be a run blocker on numberous occasions.

While I think that it was stupid to do…I am guessing it isn’t because they thought Span Ford was a great blocker.

BSF was not an every down player. I’m not sure I ever used the term ride the bench or rode the bench. I would be surprised if I did. I may have said on the bench. Which is where a package is when it isn’t on the field.

Package player means the same thing as not and every down player.

My bad for you not understanding me. I should have been clearer. I’m not trying to be a hot take machine.

The vast majority of Gophers starters are not every down players. Give it a rest.

All I know is Ko was the best blocking TE I have seen besides Jimmy Kliensauser back in the day. Many hype up Kittle as that blocker but I think he constantly holds, just like the Iowa linemen do. We can’t say that BSF is anything like Ko because they are different players. Just like we couldn’t say Maxx is as good of a blocker as Ko. Different type of player. I think we can all say that BSF is a pretty darn good TE overall.

All I know is Ko was the best blocking TE I have seen besides Jimmy Kliensauser back in the day. Many hype up Kittle as that blocker but I think he constantly holds, just like the Iowa linemen do. We can’t say that BSF is anything like Ko because they are different players. Just like we couldn’t say Maxx is as good of a blocker as Ko. Different type of player. I think we can all say that BSF is a pretty darn good TE overall.
I almost see Ko as closer to a FB than a tight end

BSF was losing reps to 6 or 7 OL sets

Not sure he has left game today. Love to see it

I almost see Ko as closer to a FB than a tight end

BSF was losing reps to 6 or 7 OL sets
Holy sh!t this is a bizarre take. No he wasn't. That's like saying our WR were losing reps to 6 or 7 OL sets. No, no they weren't, they simply ran a different personnel package.

BSF played a ton last year. He wasn't as good of a TE as the best blocking TE in the nation (Kieft) and we sometimes ran sets where he wasn't on the field but he played a ton last year.

Holy sh!t this is a bizarre take. No he wasn't. That's like saying our WR were losing reps to 6 or 7 OL sets. No, no they weren't, they simply ran a different personnel package.

BSF played a ton last year. He wasn't as good of a TE as the best blocking TE in the nation (Kieft) and we sometimes ran sets where he wasn't on the field but he played a ton last year.
Our WR literally were losing reps to 6-7 OL sets?
You can only play 11 players and we were choosing sets without him on the field last year:

Sorry you disagree with me. Personally coaches not choosing sets with a guy on the field means he wasn’t playing. If you think playing 50% of snaps means he is an every down player you can go ahead and think that. We both agree with what he did but you think he played all the time and I don’t. It’s semantics. Today he played all the time. That’s different to me.

If it makes you feel better I’ll amend my statement to say I’m glad the coaching staff seems to feel confident selecting his personnel group much more often this year

Last edited:

Our WR literally were losing reps to 6-7 OL sets?
You can only play 11 players and we were choosing sets without him on the field last year:

Sorry you disagree with me. Personally coaches not choosing sets with a guy on the field means he wasn’t playing. If you think playing 50% of snaps means he is an every down player you can go ahead and think that. We both agree with what he did but you think he played all the time and I don’t. It’s semantics. Today he played all the time. That’s different to me.

If it makes you feel better I’ll amend my statement to say I’m glad the coaching staff seems to feel confident selecting his personnel group much more often this year
It's semantics that seem to be EXTREMELY important to you. Yet, you still refer to them as semantics. It's a bizarre take.

First, he played over 50% of the plays (I believe). Second, changing formations is now "losing reps". I mean, I guess. I don't really think there is anything to rip on our second DT because we run so many sets with only 1 DT. I don't really think Stapp is losing reps because we sometimes use a nickel with a larger player in the slot (S).

Teams use a WIDE variety of sets on offense and defense now and I don't think it somehow makes the players worse. But whatever, like you said, it's semantics. Semantics you care deeply about.

It's semantics that seem to be EXTREMELY important to you. Yet, you still refer to them as semantics. It's a bizarre take.

First, he played over 50% of the plays (I believe). Second, changing formations is now "losing reps". I mean, I guess. I don't really think there is anything to rip on our second DT because we run so many sets with only 1 DT. I don't really think Stapp is losing reps because we sometimes use a nickel with a larger player in the slot (S).

Teams use a WIDE variety of sets on offense and defense now and I don't think it somehow makes the players worse. But whatever, like you said, it's semantics. Semantics you care deeply about.
It is me who cares about it yet it is you who is deeply offended that I say BSF wasn’t an every down player last year (he wasn’t)

Finally a tight end earning his scholarship. Haven’t seen it for a while.

BSF looked great! Complete player, he was blocking really well! Completing the blocks and looked really tough! Great to see him make some great catches as well!

He’s making money today. Was arguably the MVP of first half along with 2. He’s really good.
Yup. Don't care about last year. Don't care about 2020. Don't care what sets he was playing in when we had another NFL TE on the roster. BSF will 100% be playing in the NFL next year. Bookmark this post. He is DOMINATING in every way possible this year.

Top Bottom