Souhan's Sunday column: Blame for offense's collapse falls squarely on Brewster

"In his first two seasons, he employed a renowned offensive coordinator, Mike Dunbar, and a promising and productive quarterback, Adam Weber. The relationship between the crotchety Dunbar and the eager Weber provided the best reason to believe Brewster's program could gain traction, could fulfill the promises Brewster made, especially as the program moved into a beautiful new stadium designed to improve recruiting."

WTF? Everybody hated Dunbar, believed that he was the source of all the offense's woes, and wanted him fired.

Nice revisionism, Souhan/Gopher fans.

Souhan:

"So the Gophers' offensive brain trust required platoon changes and personnel shifts that confused all of the offensive players, and a timeout, to decide to run the fullback into the line again?

Earlier in the game, Brewster had wasted another timeout to set up a fourth-down play. This is coaching malpractice."

These are just two of many instances where ESPN's Bob G used the words "lack of discipline" to describe the Gs O, calling out Brew & Co repeatedly.

As a former All-Pro qb, Bob seemed in considerable pain trying to provide color analysis for an obviously inept G offense...although he did point out Weber seemed lost without Decker and that with more work and a fresh start next year, the talented young guys should start to make a difference.

To be fair, both of ESPN's guys liked what they saw on Minny's defensive side and said Brew was doing a good job there.

Maybe Souhan's wife is fat? I just can't figure out why he continually takes the side of the "Fat-Mafia."

were you not equally as frustrated watching these guys try to coach the last 3 games??? he was just making facts seem funny.

To be clear, I was not at all impressed with the offensive performance. It was horrible, and has been for the last two games and many other times this year. However, Souhan's article is Strib cherry picking at it's best.

As mentioned earlier, a lot of people were extremely frustrated with Dunbar last year, thought the spread could not work here, and were happy to see him gone. Now, Dunbar is an offensive genius who never should have been fired? Our offense last year was pathetic with the same players, plus Decker for the whole year. I am not sticking up for Fisch necessarily, but at worst our offense is the same as last year, and in my opinion it is better than last year.

And, Souhan dismisses the defense's performance as "Iowa, a limited team that kicked a field goal on its first drive and spent the rest of the game trying to run out the clock". The same team that took Ohio State to overtime in Ohio last week, and was on top of the Big Ten for much of the season? I realize they are not a powerful offensive team, but they certainly have enough weapons and had enough opportunities to put up more than 12 points.

Finally, this one really gets me "In terms of offensive football, Brewster had the boulder at the top of the mountain and shoved it over the edge."

Seriously, this may be true if Brew inherited Barber or Maroney to run behind Setterstrom and Eslinger with an experienced Qb at the helm. Instead, he inherited very little talent offensively and began with a redshirt freshman QB and very little experience at anywhere other than WR.

Anyway, I know it is a lot of wasted energy to criticize a Strib article, but it also seems like Souhan's comments echo many on this board. The cherry-pciking and revisionist history are very frustrating.

You all can complain about Souhan's article all you want, but the offense has taken several steps back and I don't see it getting any better, quite frankly, unless they get better offensive lineman and bench Weber. He is just plain awful at QB.

The defense was the star of this Gopher team and I enjoyed watching them play, most of the time. I can't ever remember saying that under Mason. However, the strength of the defense were the interior tackles who are both gone and Brewster has no obvious replacements for them. He has not recruited well in this area, IMO. In other words, the strength of the Gopher team this year will not be next year.

Good to see Souhan isn't afraid to beat a dead horse. I can't wait to see the article he writes tomorrow!!!!!!!!!!!!

However, the strength of the defense were the interior tackles who are both gone and Brewster has no obvious replacements for them. He has not recruited well in this area, IMO. In other words, the strength of the Gopher team this year will not be next year.

I disagree, and think that DTs will be a strong point of our D again next year. Jewhan Edwards has played a lot the last two years and should be able to take over right away at one off the spots. At the other spot, Brandon Kirksey and/or Anthony Jacobs both played a lot there and should fit in well. Their may be an issue with depth, though.

To be clear, I was not at all impressed with the offensive performance. It was horrible, and has been for the last two games and many other times this year. However, Souhan's article is Strib cherry picking at it's best.

As mentioned earlier, a lot of people were extremely frustrated with Dunbar last year, thought the spread could not work here, and were happy to see him gone. Now, Dunbar is an offensive genius who never should have been fired? Our offense last year was pathetic with the same players, plus Decker for the whole year. I am not sticking up for Fisch necessarily, but at worst our offense is the same as last year, and in my opinion it is better than last year.

And, Souhan dismisses the defense's performance as "Iowa, a limited team that kicked a field goal on its first drive and spent the rest of the game trying to run out the clock". The same team that took Ohio State to overtime in Ohio last week, and was on top of the Big Ten for much of the season? I realize they are not a powerful offensive team, but they certainly have enough weapons and had enough opportunities to put up more than 12 points.

Finally, this one really gets me "In terms of offensive football, Brewster had the boulder at the top of the mountain and shoved it over the edge."

Seriously, this may be true if Brew inherited Barber or Maroney to run behind Setterstrom and Eslinger with an experienced Qb at the helm. Instead, he inherited very little talent offensively and began with a redshirt freshman QB and very little experience at anywhere other than WR.

Anyway, I know it is a lot of wasted energy to criticize a Strib article, but it also seems like Souhan's comments echo many on this board. The cherry-pciking and revisionist history are very frustrating.

^^^^
this.

got to love fans and media. when it suits their purpose they can have very short, yet can have long memories at the same time.

Top Bottom