Souhan: It's vastly different coaching scenarios for Richard Pitino, Ryan Saunders

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Souhan:

Richard Pitino and Ryan Saunders are young head coaches running struggling teams. They are sons of prominent coaches. They are affable and analytical and have spent years courtside at Williams Arena — Pitino as a coach, Saunders as a fan and player.

They could not find themselves in situations more different.

Pitino has coached basketball at the University of Minnesota for longer than did Tubby Smith. Longer than Bill Musselman and Bill Fitch combined. Saunders has been a head coach for a little more than a year.

Pitino was hired at the age of 30, so he was three years younger when he got the job than Saunders was when he became the non-interim head coach of the Timberwolves.

At 37 and in his seventh season as Gophers men’s basketball coach, Pitino is an unusual combination of young and experienced. He also might be coaching for his job over the next two weeks.

If chatter inside both programs is to be believed, and I believe it in both cases, Pitino is in trouble and Saunders is not.

Go Gophers!!

I’m not a RP guy but I’d rather have him than Saunders.
At least the gophers attempt to play defense

Top Bottom