Souhan: Gophers, Vikings raise fan expectations for success as rivals wither in the early going

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Jim:

The Gophers and Vikings have in common young, enthusiastic head coaches with an offensive background, copious skill-position talent and what currently appears to be an open road to the postseason.

Their schedules look far less daunting than they did even a week ago.

Wisconsin was widely thought to be the best team in the Big Ten West. Saturday, Wisconsin lost at home to Washington State, which has reached double-digit victories once since 2003.

As their rivals have withered, the Gophers have enjoyed two practice games against unworthy opponents. They have outscored their invited directional schools 100-10 and will face a lousy Colorado team on Saturday at Huntington Bank Stadium. They will be 3-0 entering Big Ten play, and they should become the new favorites in the Big Ten West.

Gophers coach P.J. Fleck is going to hate the previous paragraph.

"That's what this job is about," he said Monday. "It's about thinking, and thought. It's a job of being very proactive and looking around every single corner and it's a job of fighting human nature. That's the job, in my opinion, of a head coach.

"I don't think they [players] can block it out. Because it's a constant all around them, and it's on their phone, it's around all of you [media.] ... So you're gonna hear it, that's fine. But when you hear it, do you not listen to it? Because when you listen to it, then it becomes your own way of thinking."

Go Gophers!!

per Jim:

Wisconsin was widely thought to be the best team in the Big Ten West.

They have outscored their invited directional schools 100-10...
1. Did anyone besides Badger fans actually think WI would win the west???

2. I get what he's trying to imply, but "New Mexico State" doesn't have a "direction" in it's name.

2. I get what he's trying to imply, but "New Mexico State" doesn't have a "direction" in it's name.
Almost everywhere I read had Wisconsin as the favorite in the west "yet again", despite the fact they have only won the west once in the last 4 years. Their reputation is outpacing their results at this point.

To be fair, their loss to WSU in no way impacts whether they will win the west, but I find it annoying how they are crowned the champs every year when they haven't been the class of the west for a while now.

Yes. The Cleveland Plain Dealer (or cleveland .com) polls media reps from across the Big Ten every year. wisconsin was far and away the favorite with 31 of a possible 36 first place votes:

WEST DIVISION

1. Wisconsin (31 first-place votes) 246 points

2. Iowa (3) 198

3. Minnesota (2) 162

4. Purdue 153

5. Nebraska 123

6. Illinois 65

7. Northwestern 61

2022 Cleveland.com Preseason Big Ten Poll

Yeah it’s a pretty cliche analysis.
Wisconsin wasn’t a clear cut favorite and is one of 4 contenders who still contend in the west

Yes. The Cleveland Plain Dealer (or cleveland .com) polls media reps from across the Big Ten every year. wisconsin was far and away the favorite with 31 of a possible 36 first place votes:
Thanks, and to the others as well who responded that indeed WI was the favorite. I thought that Mertz had shown enough to people that it won't be WI 'til at least after he leaves.

I guess most people don't follow as close as we do here. To me, if we beat Purdon't, the West should be ours with them coming in 2nd.

On The Final Drive on BTN, Gerry Dinardo actually said "Maybe WI defense isn't that good? They lost a lot of defensive starters and we said 'Jim Leonhard is the DC, they'll be fine.' After this game, I wonder if they are taking a step back."

Hope they do a better job preparing for Colorado than Bowling Green last year. Fleck must have missed looking around one of the corners

Hope they do a better job preparing for Colorado than Bowling Green last year. Fleck must have missed looking around one of the corners
Let's see, the 2021 Gophers lost three games where the defense gave up less than 300 yards.
<300 yards (Illinois, Iowa)
<200 yards (Bowling Green)

I don't want to continue kicking a dead horse, but the "do a better job" problem rested mostly on the previous OC's offensive play-calling. In 2022, I'm not worried at all about OC play-calling. However, if we're talking about another WR stepping up or defensive line or offensive line vs Big 10 opponents hmm... I'll need more convincing.

Last edited:

"rivals wither".... Gotta admit, I kinda like the sound of that, but not going to give Souhan a click

Thanks, and to the others as well who responded that indeed WI was the favorite. I thought that Mertz had shown enough to people that it won't be WI 'til at least after he leaves.

I guess most people don't follow as close as we do here. To me, if we beat Purdon't, the West should be ours with them coming in 2nd.
I hate to say it, but IL might be a tougher game than expected and is up there with PU. Burt has the run game going in Champaign!

On The Final Drive on BTN, Gerry Dinardo actually said "Maybe WI defense isn't that good? They lost a lot of defensive starters and we said 'Jim Leonhard is the DC, they'll be fine.' After this game, I wonder if they are taking a step back."

I heard that from Dinardo, but then saw that WI is only giving up 248 YPG. I doubt defense is their main issue.

I heard that from Dinardo, but then saw that WI is only giving up 248 YPG. I doubt defense is their main issue.
Wisconsin’s issue is 3 turnovers and their o line isn’t producing like it used to.

When is the last time wisconsin hasn’t gone over 275 rushing for 6 games in a row?
The answer is right now.

That last Nakia Watson TD looked like WI Defense running around not knowing what to do. They're solid but haven't been as good as I remember

Top Bottom