Souhan: Gophers bowl could be the first step toward something bigger in 2022

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Souhan:

For the many veterans on the team, including the 12th-year seniors on the offensive line, this bowl game is what Minnesotans might call a pretty good deal, then. It's a victory lap for a run of teams that made history in 2019 and rallied to make the 2021 season a success.

This game could also be more than that — something much more promising. This game could be the first step to building another big winner in 2022, building another team that could accomplish what the 2019 team did, and become a national story.

Fleck did the right thing in bringing Ciarrocca back. Next year, he will have plenty of skill-position talent. He will be in his sixth season at Minnesota, meaning his recruiting should be paying off, if his recruits are as good as advertised. So Tuesday's game could be more preview than review.

The Gophers seniors should enjoy their time in Arizona this week. Those returning for next season could use today to hint at something even better on tap for 2022.

Go Gophers!!

I agree. 2021 was not the closing of a window like some were talking about back in November.

There's plenty of returning talent on the playing and coaching side, a manageable schedule without Ohio State or Michigan, and 3 non-con games the Gophers should be a favorite in.

I hope I’m proven wrong, but I think this is just Soupcan setting up to blast the team next year if it doesn’t win the Big Ten.

Almost a guarantee that Souhan will blast Gophs if they do not win 10 games

I think this was the year it was set up for us.

Baffling decision-making - PJ admitted to playing for FGs against Iowa - leads to a bow game that starts at 10:15 EST.

Let’s hope he finally learned his lesson - although I’ve said that before.

The OP included the snarkiest line in the column, where Souhan talks about "the 12th-year Seniors on the offensive line."

the whole column is all over the map. Souhan starts out talking about how the players should be paid. he then goes on to his main point, which seems to be that, in order for Fleck to live up to his promises, the team needs to have more seasons like 2019.

I used to enjoy more of Souhan's stuff, but lately he has really gotten preachy, especially on women's athletics. It's like he's trying to be Joe Soucheray, but he's not as talented of a writer as Souch.

I do not think Jim Souhan is professionally capable of turning in a newspaper column without some amount of snark.....

When you aren't as talented a writer as Joe Soucheray it is time to find a new profession...
Awe, c'mon. Joe has the classic curmudgeon bit down very well. Souhan has, well, nothing special. Here's what I think about when I read Soucheray:

Top Bottom