Something to depress you even more

gopher7

Reaction score
As we know our defense got their ****** handed to them on Saturday. Here is a breakdown of starters by class.

Gopher defense
Seniors - 8
Juniors - 2
Sophomores - 1 (Jacobs playing for senior McKinley)

Wisconsin offense
Seniors - 1
Juniors - 5
Sophomores - 4
Freshmen - 1

What's even more telling is that Wisconsin's OL goes JR, JR, SO, SO, FR, and our front 7 are all seniors, except for Jacobs who was playing for McKinley. How many points will Wisconsin score next year against us? As much as it seems like Brewster has increased the talent, this game showed us that we still have a LONG way to go.

We do have a long way to go, but I'm not sure how much 'talent' we are losing on the defense.

Let's take Lee Campbell for example. He's a good college linebacker, no doubt. But is he talented? I would say no. In fact, of the senior defensive players we are losing, BPT is probably the most talented, and he's looked awful this year.

Point being, the defense will be lacking in experience but will have a lot of talent next year. We probably will struggle at times, but the true talent infusion hasn't even started yet. Whether those guys end up being better than the current crop remains to be seen, but I like the odds.

i'm not depressed at all

We have been forced to play upper classmen because the brewser recruits are red shirt freshmen and freshmen

I cant wait to get brewsters guys on defense

for example......our secondary is brutal as are our DE's

they will be upgraded next year....but very young

this is why it's a 5 year process at places like minnesota because you take over with virtually nothing

the o-line is leftovers from mace.......unfortunately brews recruits are also redshirts .....that will take at least two more years to fix

brewster was left with nothing from mason and that is basically what is on the field along with some juco's so we can field a team

Why can't all the great talent that Brewster has recruited beat out any of Mason's seniors?

We actually start two seniors on offense if you count the full back/tight end Mickey Turner.

Answer to the question. About 40.

Why can't all the great talent that Brewster has recruited beat out any of Mason's seniors?

We actually start two seniors on offense if you count the full back/tight end Mickey Turner.

Seniors with experience don't get benched that often, and this staff has clearly shown a preference for playing guys with experience. I can't say I blame them since they thought they had a shot at contending.

In the long run, I think the guys we'll have next year will be better than the crop of seniors we have now.

because they are freshmen and red shirt freshmen....brewster has recruited for basically two years

why the hell are we going to sign 30 guys this year.......friggin 30

Seniors with experience don't get benched that often, and this staff has clearly shown a preference for playing guys with experience. I can't say I blame them since they thought they had a shot at contending.

In the long run, I think the guys we'll have next year will be better than the crop of seniors we have now.

actually they are trying to redshirt most of them......and the others are freshmen

i mean my gawd.....is it that hard to understand

actually they are trying to redshirt most of them......and the others are freshmen

i mean my gawd.....is it that hard to understand
How does that contradict what I said in any way?

If they are so talented, I would want to get them on the field. No use red shirting them for someone else to coach.

good posts guys. This is what is lost on most gopher fans. College kids come in lacking size and knowledge (skill), but brews recruits are talented. It takes all three to be a stud football player. You can get by with a nice mix of attributes. And that's what our seniors have, size and knowledge. The fresh and sophs when they mature will have an even stronger mix.

I don't know if it's the pro mentality that thinks a freshman can step in a top tier college game and be successful, or stupidity. But it's rare when it happens. Usually it happens because of a lack of options more than because of the abilities of the freshmen.

As we know our defense got their ****** handed to them on Saturday. Here is a breakdown of starters by class.

Gopher defense
Seniors - 8
Juniors - 2
Sophomores - 1 (Jacobs playing for senior McKinley)

Wisconsin offense
Seniors - 1
Juniors - 5
Sophomores - 4
Freshmen - 1

What's even more telling is that Wisconsin's OL goes JR, JR, SO, SO, FR, and our front 7 are all seniors, except for Jacobs who was playing for McKinley. How many points will Wisconsin score next year against us? As much as it seems like Brewster has increased the talent, this game showed us that we still have a LONG way to go.

We'll be fine. Our young DT's have more talent than our seniors, Jacobs and Wilhite have vast potential, hopefully Jacobs takes his beating from yesterday as a learning experience. Add in Garin, KGM, Searcy, Willis, Tuafala, we will be young but fast on the DL.
Linebackers will get smaller but faster, Cooper, Tinsley, and Reeves alot of speed, alot of potential, another year of conditioning will allow some size and strength to be added.
These front 7 will give us more speed, which can help stop the badger run game if they penetrate and swarm with proper alignments. Sat, we just weren't getting the right reactions to the badger ground game, going around blockers, getting swept away instead of crossing and penetrating.
Watch the play they kept running, if Jacobs or Kirksey can get a step and get into the backfield, those pulling guards get tripped up, linebacker attacks backfield, clay can't get momentum, backside line/LB/safties/corners come up to clean up. That's what is needed, speed will help.

This is the correct question - it's a fallacy that fans of many programs get caught up in thinking that all the young recruits who are redshirting or on the bench are going to be upgrades the next year - they aren't. If they are a talent upgrade, they'd be playing this year. Coaches ALWAYS want to play the guys that give them the best chance to win games (self-preservation). So to suggest that the guys redshirting are "saviors in waiting" for next season is just wishful thinking IMO. Talent rises up and you can't keep uber-talented guys off the field. The exception, of course, is if the coach is too stubborn to make necessary changes as some are suggesting with Weber/Gray as an example....is that the case with some of Brewster's recruits? Is Brewster being stubborn by not playing some of them instead of the seniors? You be the judge.

The point the OP was trying to make is valid - if the defense is graduating that many players from a mediocre defense, next year is going to be a very tough one to stomach on that side of the ball. The young group may indeed have talent but to think they're going to be even nearly as good as this year's group is not realistic I'm afraid.

We'll be fine. Our young DT's have more talent than our seniors, Jacobs and Wilhite have vast potential, hopefully Jacobs takes his beating from yesterday as a learning experience. Add in Garin, KGM, Searcy, Willis, Tuafala, we will be young but fast on the DL.
Linebackers will get smaller but faster, Cooper, Tinsley, and Reeves alot of speed, alot of potential, another year of conditioning will allow some size and strength to be added.

Agree completely. I do wonder, though, why some of these guys aren't seeing the field a little more this year. Kirsey, Edwards and Cooper, are getting some valuable experience and will be able to step right in next year. I'd like to see Carter and Tinsley play more -- are there others who aren't redshirting this year? -- if they're going to be counted on next year.

This is the correct question - it's a fallacy that fans of many programs get caught up in thinking that all the young recruits who are redshirting or on the bench are going to be upgrades the next year - they aren't. If they are a talent upgrade, they'd be playing this year. Coaches ALWAYS want to play the guys that give them the best chance to win games (self-preservation). So to suggest that the guys redshirting are "saviors in waiting" for next season is just wishful thinking IMO. Talent rises up and you can't keep uber-talented guys off the field. The exception, of course, is if the coach is too stubborn to make necessary changes as some are suggesting with Weber/Gray as an example....is that the case with some of Brewster's recruits? Is Brewster being stubborn by not playing some of them instead of the seniors? You be the judge.

The point the OP was trying to make is valid - if the defense is graduating that many players from a mediocre defense, next year is going to be a very tough one to stomach on that side of the ball. The young group may indeed have talent but to think they're going to be even nearly as good as this year's group is not realistic I'm afraid.

You are completely wrong Clyde. You play the people that have the best chance of succeeding for that game unless you're conceding the year in the name of development. Size and experience matter a great deal. An average senior trumps an above average freshman, every time. Elite freshmen usually start. We don't have those. Maybe if we're lucky we'll have one next year.

You are completely wrong Clyde. You play the people that have the best chance of succeeding for that game unless you're conceding the year in the name of development. Size and experience matter a great deal. An average senior trumps an above average freshman, every time. Elite freshmen usually start. We don't have those. Maybe if we're lucky we'll have one next year.

But I think that's my point - if these are not elite freshman, how can we expect they'll step in a sophomores in 2010 and compete at the same level as this year's seniors? Isn't that an unrealistic expectation? They might be very talented kids but there WILL be a dropoff on the field next year when you graduate that many starters/contributors.

That is college football. Hopefully our improvements elsewhere make up for the drop off. I realize our Offense is taking alot of heat but they aren't so bad when they're not blowing themselves up. They'll be a year more experienced. We lose Decker, that's pretty much it.

I predicted a drop off next year as well, but I guess I see it as less doom and gloom as some. To me the beginning of the good stuff was always 2011 with 2012 probably being the year the program begins to shine. While it's nice to be competitive now, it's a bonus to the path we're on. In some respects it's too bad we did so well early last year. This program has always been about the recruiting and development. It's alwasy been about the freshmen and sophs we have now. Anything good that happens between now and then is a bonus. It's hard to get to worked up about the ups and downs as we wait for those kids to mature.

Agree completely. I do wonder, though, why some of these guys aren't seeing the field a little more this year. Kirsey, Edwards and Cooper, are getting some valuable experience and will be able to step right in next year. I'd like to see Carter and Tinsley play more -- are there others who aren't redshirting this year? -- if they're going to be counted on next year.

Assignment, experience, strength, size, and technique are important too, that's why players like Moen, Triplett, Theret, Collado, etc have played ahead of Wilhite, Cooper, Dandridge, Carter so far.
They'll get in, about this point last year we started to count on the young guys more.

Top Bottom