Something is different this time

Gold Rush

Reaction score
Very fun game to watch yesterday as the Gophers avenged their worst game last year by dismantling Illinois. Illinois scored 55 points on us last year - this year 17 but that came on two defensive TD's and one can argue if PJ Fleck hadn't called that time out on the missed FG, our defense would have not let them score ANY points! We have had good starts before only to get into the Big Ten and look incredibly mediocre. We have all seen our share of this team melting down at the worst possible time.

This team to me just seems much more poised, which is odd considering they are a fairly young team. They have already had to battle back from adversity and QB Morgan has had to save this team with a few come from behind wins just to get this far. Coming back from a 3rd and 30 on your own 5 down by 4 is nothing short of miraculous, and the games against SDSU and Fresno St. also could have been easily lost. This game vs. Illinois started with a defensive pick for TD but the team didn't panic and just shifted it into another gear and blew them out.

In years past - I don't think that would have been the case. I asked Ryan Burns on the radio today, "How does such a young team show this kind of poise?" and I think he gave a pretty good answer. This team kind of grew together last year and they are building on that this year. Some of this certainly has to go to coaching. I am not saying we are going to go 12-0 and run the table but here's something to think about. If the Gophers duplicate their effort they showed vs. Wisconsin last year, there isn't a single team they can not beat on their schedule.

One thing is for certain - they will face a lot more adversity each game they play the rest of the year. A lot of people still do not know it yet, but the true Gopher fans on here know they do have a very good shot at having a very special season here. One game at a time, stay hungry and focused with the task at hand and stay humble. This season just got a lot more fun and I hope we can keep it up!!

Last edited:

Cue the, "not so fast", tamp-it-down, 'slow our roll' reply posts in 3... 2...

Cue the, "not so fast", tamp-it-down, 'slow our roll' reply posts in 3... 2...

Maybe, but I just want to enjoy this as much as I can and enjoy the ride if we do get one! With the abysmal showing from the Twins vs. the Yankees, the mediocre Vikings, and the prospects of the Wild and Timberwolves this year, I think this area could really appreciate a good team that has a good year!!

This team will not give up on each other. Crap happens and they don't let it get them down and that is a good thing. Why get all negative when something doesn't go well? When they review film they take a positive look at it and learn from it. I like this team. Took a little longer to jell than what I was hoping for, but its happening. We'll learn more about our team in the next two weeks.

Enjoy the Nebraska season.

The tamping down of expectations is exactly what PJ is referring to when we keep achieving these new "firsts".

We need to change the culture of doubt.
We can't beat WI.
We fumbled, now it's over...
We've never started out 4-0 with 2 road wins.

As we're improving, we're doing things fans aren't accustomed to and it's a change to our system.

This team will not give up on each other. Crap happens and they don't let it get them down and that is a good thing. Why get all negative when something doesn't go well? When they review film they take a positive look at it and learn from it. I like this team. Took a little longer to jell than what I was hoping for, but its happening. We'll learn more about our team in the next two weeks.

I like this team, too. So far they have made their share of mistakes and I agree with you that it took a little longer to jell than what I wanted, too. I remember the 1995 Northwestern team that went to the Rose Bowl. EVERYONE thought they would be able to beat them and somehow they kept pulling out game after game. They flew under the radar much the same as the Gophers have. I remember they lost to Miami (Ohio) early in the season but kept pulling games out of their hat. The Gophers had them down 14-3 early and everyone was thinking easy win, but they showed poise as they didn't let it get them down and they came back to beat us 27-17. The big difference was Northwestern had a bunch of 5th year seniors, especially on their offensive line but it was that same type of poise that I am seeing out of the Gophers this year.

All this makes the Nebraska game much more interesting this week. It will be tough, and hopefully we can pull it out!

You can only play one game at a time.

and winning a game does not - in and of itself - increase the chances of winning the next game.

It's all about match-ups. and injuries can play a big role in those match-ups, so a lot can change from week to week.

Did anyone predict that the Gophers would play most of the Purdue and Illinois games against backup quarterbacks? well, it happened.

The point is - a game against Penn State or Wisconsin might appear one way today - but that game might look entirely different in two or three weeks.

have to let the season play itself out.

Maybe, but I just want to enjoy this as much as I can and enjoy the ride if we do get one! With the abysmal showing from the Twins vs. the Yankees, the mediocre Vikings, and the prospects of the Wild and Timberwolves this year, I think this area could really appreciate a good team that has a good year!!

Exactly! This would be great timing for the Gophers to excel and give us MN. fans a winner. I do hope the Twins regroup.

I like this team, too. So far they have made their share of mistakes and I agree with you that it took a little longer to jell than what I wanted, too. I remember the 1995 Northwestern team that went to the Rose Bowl. EVERYONE thought they would be able to beat them and somehow they kept pulling out game after game. They flew under the radar much the same as the Gophers have. I remember they lost to Miami (Ohio) early in the season but kept pulling games out of their hat. The Gophers had them down 14-3 early and everyone was thinking easy win, but they showed poise as they didn't let it get them down and they came back to beat us 27-17. The big difference was Northwestern had a bunch of 5th year seniors, especially on their offensive line but it was that same type of poise that I am seeing out of the Gophers this year.

All this makes the Nebraska game much more interesting this week. It will be tough, and hopefully we can pull it out!

The line in bold is the exact mindset that Fleck is fighting to change around here. I get it, it is what we are conditioned to think as Gopher fans but going into this game with Nebraska the mindset should be that if we play the way we are capable of playing we will win, not just hope to pull it out.

At some point we have to start believing we are as good or better then the teams we are going up against. That mindset might not fully change this year but it is starting to.

Could we loose to Nebraska? Absolutely, but if we take care of business and play the way we all know this team is capable of playing, this is a very winnable game on Saturday.

Trust level is higher than ever for me

The line in bold is the exact mindset that Fleck is fighting to change around here. I get it, it is what we are conditioned to think as Gopher fans but going into this game with Nebraska the mindset should be that if we play the way we are capable of playing we will win, not just hope to pull it out.

At some point we have to start believing we are as good or better then the teams we are going up against. That mindset might not fully change this year but it is starting to.

Could we loose to Nebraska? Absolutely, but if we take care of business and play the way we all know this team is capable of playing, this is a very winnable game on Saturday.

My trust that this team will take care of business is very, very high. The regular season Twins had much the same confidence level. I would like there to be no lost turnovers for points, but most everything else is getting highly reliable.

Last edited:

Top Bottom