Someday, eventually...should Claeys be the next Gopher coach?

Nahh. We should do a proper search and pick the best guy. If that is Claeys, then go for it. If not, then not.

Two words, John Gutekunst.

Maybe. As sparlimb said, do proper research and then decide. I wouldn't be surprised if Claeys gets offered the Kansas job.

After Kill has many good years and retires happy, of course.

Yes. By the way, our defense gets an A today. Badgers defense was just too much for our offense. It was still a good game. Tough to protect the ball when it is 15 degrees Fahrenheit. Both Tracy Claeys and Matt Limegrover need to continue to lose weight or they will become medical casualties rendering the discussion moot. I wish we would have won, but it was good to see a full TCF Bank Stadium. We may yet break Sparti's jaw next Saturday.

Maybe. As sparlimb said, do proper research and then decide. I wouldn't be surprised if Claeys gets offered the Kansas job.

I don't think any major conference school would offer Claeys a HC job (the exception being us, if Kill first has a good run here). He hasn't put a staff together and proven he can run a program. Just my thoughts, maybe some program will prove my wrong.

I don't think any major conference school would offer Claeys a HC job (the exception being us, if Kill first has a good run here). He hasn't put a staff together and proven he can run a program. Just my thoughts, maybe some program will prove my wrong.

Yeah, schools never hire a coordinator from a successful program for their first HC gig. Wait a minute I better check that. Hunh, turns out they do all the time. Imagine that.

Curious to see how Claeys continues to develop. Of the guys on the current staff, I think he is the one most likely to become a head coach.

Yes, coordinators move up all the time. I think in Claeys's current situation, there would need to be a little more there for him to land an offer from a major conference, but I think he will likely be approached by MAC-level schools if not this year, soon.

Picking coaches is always a crap shoot. Look at Muschamp. I can't think of a coordinator more hailed over the last decade as surefire head coaching material and Florida has taken a nosedive this season. Same with Don Treadwell, who looked great as MSU's interim when D'Antonio went down and has really stunk at Miami (Ohio).

After Claeys wins the NCAA Asst. Coach of the Year award for the entire nation….I think we should be more worried about him still being asst. coach for MN as the offers will come pouring in….let's hope we are lucky enough to hold on to him...

Yeah, schools never hire a coordinator from a successful program for their first HC gig. Wait a minute I better check that. Hunh, turns out they do all the time. Imagine that.

I said "major conference schools". Maybe he goes to the MAC, or somewhere similar, but do you think USC, Nebraska, Florida or even Kansas will be calling? Kill and Claeys are 17-19 in the Big Ten. Not world beaters..... yet.

What makes Kill and company work is their long history together. The sum is bigger than their parts. The questions is, will Coach Claeys be able to put together a credible loyal coaching staff elsewhere like they have here? I can see him as heir apparent to Coach Kill should he ever decide to step down someday.

What if Kansas State come calling to Kill and company? Or if they go after Claeys to succeed Coach Snyder? You never know.

If they they build a program here to Wisconsin's level, it will make it a heck of a lot easier to attract top notch coaching prospects if they don't inherit a dilapidated run down house.

All we need to do is look East to Wisconsin. Say all you about our former beloved adversary Bret B. You have to give him and Alvarez credit for building a strong foundation.

Gary Anderson did not miss a heart beat as all the good working parts were there. Anderson walked a similar path to Coach Kill, a class act with good coaching ability with loyal assistants. It just deflates the hate fir Wisconsin football a little for me.

The Gopher have an upside that has been wanting for a long time. We can say at least that we can be competitive in the B1G. The Gophers are probably going to be feared more than taken lightly next season.

What makes Kill and company work is their long history together. The sum is bigger than their parts. The questions is, will Coach Claeys be able to put together a credible loyal coaching staff elsewhere like they have here? I can see him as heir apparent to Coach Kill should he ever decide to step down someday.

What if Kansas State come calling to Kill and company? Or if they go after Claeys to succeed Coach Snyder? You never know.

If they they build a program here to Wisconsin's level, it will make it a heck of a lot easier to attract top notch coaching prospects if they don't inherit a dilapidated run down house.

All we need to do is look East to Wisconsin. Say all you about our former beloved adversary Bret B. You have to give him and Alvarez credit for building a strong foundation.

Gary Anderson did not miss a heart beat as all the good working parts were there. Anderson walked a similar path to Coach Kill, a class act with good coaching ability with loyal assistants. It just deflates the hate fir Wisconsin football a little for me.

The Gopher have an upside that has been wanting for a long time. We can say at least that we can be competitive in the B1G. The Gophers are probably going to be feared more than taken lightly next season.

Extremely pertinent to the discussion. Thanks for adding that.

Top Bottom