Some respect for our opponents

coolhandgopher

Reaction score
While reading the previous posts on the Gopher loss to Portland, the disrespect for Portland and Butler was pretty glaring and quite short-sighted. From this point forward, don't we want Portland and Butler (and all our non-conf. opponents for that matter) to do quite well? That being said, I feel the need to address some of this misinformation thrown against the wall:
* The WCC is not an awful conference. Yes, they have some dregs at the bottom of the conference (although I don't know that anyone whose conference affiliation counts the recent versions of Iowa and Indiana should be so haughty), but this is where Gonzaga plays ball, and St. Mary's, San Diego and now Portland are all quality programs.
* Portland finishing third last season in the WCC meant they finished behind Gonzaga and St. Mary's, likely the last team out of the March Madness field. No shame in that.
* I believe this was addressed already, but the disparaging of the Portland head coach was not only petulant but wrong-headed. To rebuild a program that was in the depths like Portland was to the point that they have realistic hopes for a NCAA berth speaks to an impressive program builder and sideline coach.
* And for the buffoonish statement that Portland shouldn't have won because they didn't have any 4 star players or something to that effect, well then they and the majority of D-1 basketball programs might as well just shut off the gym lights. To build a program, whether from a power conference or a smaller conference, you need to hit on those "diamonds in the rough", develop them for four years, and have them buy into a coach's system. It seems that Portland is doing a fine job of making this happen.

Now, for Butler. . .
* They have not been a program that gets knocked out of the tourney every year in the first round. In fact, during the past decade they made six trips to the NCAA tournament and only lost their opening game on two occasions. Twice they advanced to the Round of 32 and twice they advanced to the Sweet Sixteen. That's six wins in the NCAA tournament this past decade or six more than our beloved Gophers earned during the same period.
* The reason for Butler's hype was not only because they were returning all their players, but also because those players are good. Gordon Hayward and Shevlin Mack were chosen for the U-19 World Championships this past season and their center/power forward Matt Howard also is pretty formidable. It doesn't appear that Hayward has had a very good tournament in Anaheim, but he was a star over the summer and the pros have noticed-Hayward's projected by draft express to go in the middle of the first round in '11.

If you're going to knock a program, at least be accurate about it, rather than making yourself, and by extension the Gopher fanbase look like misinformed idiots.

While reading the previous posts on the Gopher loss to Portland, the disrespect for Portland and Butler was pretty glaring and quite short-sighted. From this point forward, don't we want Portland and Butler (and all our non-conf. opponents for that matter) to do quite well? That being said, I feel the need to address some of this misinformation thrown against the wall:
* The WCC is not an awful conference. Yes, they have some dregs at the bottom of the conference (although I don't know that anyone whose conference affiliation counts the recent versions of Iowa and Indiana should be so haughty), but this is where Gonzaga plays ball, and St. Mary's, San Diego and now Portland are all quality programs.
* Portland finishing third last season in the WCC meant they finished behind Gonzaga and St. Mary's, likely the last team out of the March Madness field. No shame in that.
* I believe this was addressed already, but the disparaging of the Portland head coach was not only petulant but wrong-headed. To rebuild a program that was in the depths like Portland was to the point that they have realistic hopes for a NCAA berth speaks to an impressive program builder and sideline coach.
* And for the buffoonish statement that Portland shouldn't have won because they didn't have any 4 star players or something to that effect, well then they and the majority of D-1 basketball programs might as well just shut off the gym lights. To build a program, whether from a power conference or a smaller conference, you need to hit on those "diamonds in the rough", develop them for four years, and have them buy into a coach's system. It seems that Portland is doing a fine job of making this happen.

Now, for Butler. . .
* They have not been a program that gets knocked out of the tourney every year in the first round. In fact, during the past decade they made six trips to the NCAA tournament and only lost their opening game on two occasions. Twice they advanced to the Round of 32 and twice they advanced to the Sweet Sixteen. That's six wins in the NCAA tournament this past decade or six more than our beloved Gophers earned during the same period.
* The reason for Butler's hype was not only because they were returning all their players, but also because those players are good. Gordon Hayward and Shevlin Mack were chosen for the U-19 World Championships this past season and their center/power forward Matt Howard also is pretty formidable. It doesn't appear that Hayward has had a very good tournament in Anaheim, but he was a star over the summer and the pros have noticed-Hayward's projected by draft express to go in the middle of the first round in '11.

If you're going to knock a program, at least be accurate about it, rather than making yourself, and by extension the Gopher fanbase look like misinformed idiots.

Well said. People don't realize it, but Portland is a really good team. They already have taken out two Pac Ten teams and now a Big Ten team. They will make the NCAA tourney. They could easily end up being something like 24-4. They have great outside shooting and the big German banger is tough. He gives them an inside presence. Just because it says Portland on the front of the jersey doesn't mean they are horrible. And, frankly, anyone who has posted that, knows very little about the workings of college hoops nowadays. Experienced mid-majors teams with lots of fourth and fifth year guys have the potential to beat anyone.

Glad someone agrees

When reading these posts my thought was---dont you see what a good performance Portland put on? Yes we werent at our best but maybe there was a reason for that---other than at the free throw line which there is no excuse for.

When reading these posts my thought was---dont you see what a good performance Portland put on? Yes we werent at our best but maybe there was a reason for that---other than at the free throw line which there is no excuse for.

Yep, all the posts on this subject are 100% correct. We looked awful last night, but Portland played a role in that. I would not be surprised if the WCC put three teams in the tourney this year.

Top Bottom