Some observations from the spring game

diefirma

Reaction score
Good Weber showed up. He threw one pass into the ground on purpose when the defense was all over a screen pass. Gray is getting pushed by Alipate. Alipate has the strongest arm of the three. Gray is not a lock to be our QB next year.

Both O and D lines looked better than last year. Teams will have trouble running on us this year. O line looks better but still work to do. Wills is thinner than last season. Michel and Olson looked ok - we wouldn't lose much if they had to go in on the first line.

Agree with previous poster on D line. Wilhite will get some sacks this year. Hageman plays high, Edwards and Kirksey will control the interior line.

I was impressed by Tiree Eure - no passes were thrown his way during the game but he made some nice catches during warm ups. He is big but not fat at all. Good speed and mobility.

Rallis had a nice game - he'll make some big plays for us this year.

I was disappointed by the drops of the receivers. Green and McKnight both dropped a couple so did Stoudermire. I guess in their defense they were taking some hard hits out there and the ball was getting knocked lose - never-the-less...

Christyn Lewis, Carter and Watkins looked pretty good I thought although they were beat deep several times.

Overall both O and D will be better than last year. This will be Brews best team to date. I am not sure that will translate into a better record however but I am pretty sure it is not doomsday as some are predicting. Doggie with his prediction of 5 wins is wrong.

Good summary. Agree that the lines look better and deeper than in the past. Several people around me commented on Willis looking better. Your comment on the WR drops dovetails with my previous point on Weber. On several of those drops the WR got tagged, as the coverage often knew who was getting the ball before it was thrown.

I concur that we could win more than 5 this season, but that means upsetting somebody. Looking at that handy-dandy fridge magnet they gave out, I don't see more than 5 games we'll be favored in. And unless we're favored on the road vs either PU or NW that # is 4.

On several of those drops the WR got tagged, as the coverage often knew who was getting the ball before it was thrown.

Lewis put a HUGE hit on McKnight to break up a long pass. I thought he had a chance to hold onto it but can't knock him because that was a definite highlight reel hit. More comfortable about the secondary if Lewis is going to play like that.

But I do agree that there were too many drops. A.J. Barker's was a catch and a fumble, but other that play I was impressed with him too.

The Good Weber showed up? He was 8-20. No one has reported about his ability to throw on time, the ability to not stare down a reciever, or hitting the open reciever. I would bet he did not do anything differently today. He doesn't throw off either 3 or 5 step drops. And when he holds the ball and releases late. We saw what an effort it took for Decker to hold on to TD against Cal when the safety came. If that ball is thrown on time the safety doesn't get there. And when you throw off play action it has to be on time. I have seen the Adam Weber show and if this is going to be a sequel this year he needs to be able to complete 15 of 20.

Now everyone is down on Grey was 4-7 and he struggled? Something doesn't add up here gang.

The Good Weber showed up? He was 8-20. No one has reported about his ability to throw on time, the ability to not stare down a reciever, or hitting the open reciever. I would bet he did not do anything differently today. He doesn't throw off either 3 or 5 step drops. And when he holds the ball and releases late. We saw what an effort it took for Decker to hold on to TD against Cal when the safety came. If that ball is thrown on time the safety doesn't get there. And when you throw off play action it has to be on time. I have seen the Adam Weber show and if this is going to be a sequel this year he needs to be able to complete 15 of 20.

Now everyone is down on Grey was 4-7 and he struggled? Something doesn't add up here gang.

There were a couple of bad decisions throwing into coverage/way overthrown both QB's made. I'm not sure that either had their best day.

Weber made bigger passes to Troy and Da'jon (Gray made the one nice TD throw to Hayo). Most of the misses Weber had were forgetable. Gray threw so much less his incompletes stick out more in my memory but he does get the ball out of his hand a lot quicker than Weber. Weber was in the pocket for a long time before he threw the ball, however the line (or lack of a rush) gave him all the time he needed.

Sometimes the stats don't tell you everything. From everything i've heard (wasn't able to attend), Weber looked better than gray.

Gray was playing against the 2ed string D. Weber had most of the drops - see Youngblood's column - I would say at least 4 so doing the math 8+4 = 12. 12 out of 20 = 60%. This was against a pretty fast D that has been seeing all of these plays for the last 14 practices. I am not saying Weber is All American but he was the best QB today and will be our QB in the fall. By the way, I'm not down on Gray - he looked a lot better than he did last fall - Alipate also - one of them will step up next year.

The drops with Weber's receivers were his fault not the receivers. He didn't lead them enough especially on the long ball so they got jacked up the second the ball got there. It was nice to see some hitters on the D after no one to really fear last year.

My thoughts...

Weber looked to be the same Weber - he'd make a great throw (put it right on the money over one of the dBacks on a sideline pattern to somebody about 20 yards down the field), and then later had all day and threw a pass right in the middle of four defenders (high, and tipped incomplete).

I thought the offense overall did not look good. Dropped balls by the receivers, some they should have caught, but many were not easy catches, as in, it's not like they were being hit on the numbers in stride.

I wasn't impressed with the offensive line either. The first string was all familiar faces - Burris, Wills, Bunders, Alford, and I believe Orton was playing the other guard spot. Wills looked just as was reported - maybe 5-10 pounds lighter.

Weber was mostly radar-locked, and on several occasions when he did actually look a receiver off, he still threw into bad (covered) spots. So, if by now he has not learned to survey the field, it's just not going to happen, so we'll have to get over it.

Gray looked to be a mess as well. I think being under center and having to drop back (vs. shotgun) is going to be a huge adjustment for him that is going to take time. He just doesn't look comfortable doing it; it's somthinng he's going to have to really work at (from where he is now) to succeed at the QB spot in this offense.

On the positive side for the offense, as Kent said in his summary, McKnight is really inconsistent, but he has a lot of potential. I don't see him making the dynamic, one-hand type of catches, but he's just so big and runs well-enough. He's so raw, but if he really, really works (maybe he can hang with L. Fitz this summer to get some tips) he could be really good.

Also, there weren't many penalties - McKnight had a false start, but I don't recall a hold all day (at least none that were called anyway; I did see a couple that went uncalled). The O was very clean, in that regard.

Eskridge is Eskridge - he's not going to dipsy-doodle anyone really, and isn't going to have any 90 yard runs to the house, but he does run hard. Same with Bennett - Bennett's a little quicker, maybe a little stronger, but he isn't going to outrun anybody. They played okay today - again, not many holes.

The 1st team O-Line also seemed to pass-block pretty-well today. Rallis had two sacks, but one of them was on a missed assignment where he came un-blocked (and blitzed on the other one). I thought they pass-blocked relatively well most of last year as well (I believe Carufel was in street clothes), so that's a wash there.

When the offense had two receiver sets (seemed to be most of the time), McKnight and Stoudmire were the two receivers; Green played with the second team often. Other than a touchdown late from Marquise (when covered by some R. Freshman walk on from Wisconsin), Hayo was pretty much invisible again. In this offense, with fewer receivers on the field, I don't know when he will see the field - it seems it will be spotty.

The 1st string defense played pretty well; Maresh did make some plays (in addition to his five tackles, he also dropped at least one interception - maybe two, but was in the right spot). I do like our linebackers again this year. Both Maresh and Rallis are really active. I did see Maresh let Hoese get under his pads a couple of times on runs up the middle (and got blasted once), but I consider Hoese a steady, solid fullback, so that is going to happen.

Rallis did look good, I thought. Campbell and Triplett were solid (not great) Big Ten linebackers, but Rallis and Maresh both SEEM much quicker, which I think speaks well of Tinsley if in fact he is still around come fall and holds on to the starting spot. They were very active today, and around the ball a ton.

Cooper played well also. As good as Lawrence's measurables were (speed, size, etc.), Cooper seems to be more physical, particularly when taking on blockers. Despite being a little undersized, he can really bring it and doesn't shy away from coming O-Linemen as Lawrence sometimes did.

Carter had a couple of nice plays. He got beat on the long pass to Stoudamire at the beginning (one of Weber's two best passes all day), but he had a nice pass-breakup as well. He also looks like he has put about 15 lbs on his legs alone; he's got a chance to be really good.

Christan Lewis is as skinny as Carter was last year, which is borderline ridiculous for a junior. Granted, he is expected to play corner, but he's a junior - what's the deal? He did lay a nice pop on McKnight to cause a drop, and also filled the hole with a really nice hit on Bennet at one point as well, which caught me by surprise. It seemed to me he is definitely a corner, not a safety.

Kenny Watkins looks to be in good shape; I didn't notice him make any plays, but again, he too (like Carter), looks like he's been in the weight room.

Collado is still Collado - just a tough, solid, little son-of-a-gun; I wish he was about four inches taller and twenty pounds heavier, but he plays low and hard.

I was disappointed in the lack of pressure the D-Line put on Weber. Hageman was playing with Kirksey, Edwards and Wilhite. Wilhite seemed to get better pressure as the game went on, but again, I don't believe any of them got a sack the entire game. That being said, they are really stout against the run. I'm not sure if that is because our O-Line still can't run block, or they are just that good - maybe a little of both.

I was surprised to see the 2nd D Line consisted of Garin, KGM, Ferguson, and Austin Hahn - not Jacobs! Jacobs rotated in some, but it appeared he was mostly with the third-team (Jacques is playing guard). This is a good thing - he has had considerable playing time, but the young guys appear to have moved past him; maybe we have more depth than I thought?

Hahn, who I had never heard of before today, actually really impressed me the first part of the scrimmage. He doesn't look as big as he was listed today (6'4, 285), but he played every bit of that - I hate the "motor" word, but he seems to be a tough hombre (was also going against Jacques most of the day however, and I'm not sure how much can be expected of Jacques in the guard spot).

I was actually really impressed with the 2nd team D. Singleton (LB), Garin, KGM, and Ferguson, were all really active. The 2nd team D actually dominated the 2nd team O all day and probably scored at least 2/3 of the D's "points".

On the 2nd team O, Olson and Michel are tall, lean dudes. They were both listed today at 6'7, 300+, but they are really, really lean - they look like Iowa linemen. Based upon how little they 2nd O moved the ball today, I can't say they played really well, but they are going to be some beasts (in two years, put them with Gjere, Tommy Olson, and Jonathan Ragoo, cor instance, and that is a HUGE O-Line(!), which would be awesome!). I don't like seeing linemen out of shape, so I'm excited about the future for these two (Jacques looked like a midget next to Michel).

Ellestad was solid on the Field Goals (they didn't even put a defense on the field against the kick team), but his kickoffs were terrible - not sure if he kicked a single one inside the ten going either direction, which will be an issue. Orseske had a couple of nice punts and looks to be recovered from his injury last fall.

Overall, it seemed we have similar issues as we did last fall - poor quarterback play (remember - both starting safeties weren't even playing today - Theret and Royston), and questionable run-blocking. The defense, despite being really young, seems quicker and more athletic. I didn't get a sense who the leaders on the D are going to be. Honestly, the most vocal seemed to be Maresh, and I just liked his demeanor - he seemed to be really enjoying himself. I know Edwards and Kirksey are being called upon as leaders, but they also were coming out on passing downs (KGM was actually coming in to play DT in a 3 technique, with Wilhite and Sheed on the ends). Maresh and Rallis seem to be palls and play off of each other well (lots of celebratory, leaping butt bumps).

I'm excited about the defense; skeptical of the offense; hopefull they all have productive, healthy summers and improve a ton.

Important to note that the defense was not allowed to sack the quarterbacks (which is fine/smart), but that also prevents us from seeing a true pass rush. Weber would have been on his back several times if the D-line would have been turned loose. I hope the offense is better than last year, but I saw very little to confirm that notion given the limitations on the defense.

Weber has always been a great (relative to how he is in the fall) spring QB. No pass rush allows him to hide his biggest weakness....Pocket awareness and poise under pressure.

This was never a real QB competition, if it was, Brew would have taken the gloves off, gone live with the QBs, and allowed Gray to throw as much as Weber. At no point in the last 3 months was there any chance anybody other than Gray would start the opener at MTSU. If Gray and/or Alipate is not better than Weber it means Brewster missed on QB's and his dismissal is not a matter of if, but a matter of when.

Weber has always been a great (relative to how he is in the fall) spring QB. No pass rush allows him to hide his biggest weakness....Pocket awareness and poise under pressure.

This was never a real QB competition, if it was, Brew would have taken the gloves off, gone live with the QBs, and allowed Gray to throw as much as Weber. At no point in the last 3 months was there any chance anybody other than Gray would start the opener at MTSU. If Gray and/or Alipate is not better than Weber it means Brewster missed on QB's and his dismissal is not a matter of if, but a matter of when.

First I think you mean Weber here.

Second. So developing QB's is all a head coach should be evaluated on? By that logic Charlie Weiss should have been coach of the year.

Your argument really becomes pedestrian when you assume that this year's QB play will unfold exactly like last and that a true sophmore and redshirt freshman are 'misses' because they do not have a combination of the leadership, play calling, position skills, strength and maturity to beat out a 5 YEAR STARTER.

This was never a real QB competition

+4,000,000

At no point in the last 3 months was there any chance anybody other than Gray would start the opener at MTSU.

Come again? Have you been paying attention at all over the past couple months?

If Gray and/or Alipate is not better than Weber it means Brewster missed on QB's and his dismissal is not a matter of if, but a matter of when.

*Sigh* If only coaching football (and evaluating coaches as an AD) were as simple as getting a surefire QB recruit to come play for you.

If Weber is so bad, how did he make 2nd team all-big 10 as a sophomore. I credit that to having a different OC almost every year - and being most confused by fishy. If Horton can make him more confident and give him an O that he can handle, he'll be just fine.

If Weber is the starting QB going into Big Ten play then Brewster is on his way out and it will be a very long season. Weber is a coach killer, he just can not pass the football with any accuracy and makes high school mistakes.

If Weber is the starting QB going into Big Ten play then Brewster is on his way out and it will be a very long season. Weber is a coach killer, he just can not pass the football with any accuracy and makes high school mistakes.

What if we get the sophomore Weber who was voted to the all-big ten team (not first string, but hey, still higher than most big ten qb's) by the coaches? I contend that a lot of Weber's problems last year had to do with confusion stemming from a different OC almost every year, and the over-sized, overblown mess that was Fisch.

What if we get the sophomore Weber who was voted to the all-big ten team (not first string, but hey, still higher than most big ten qb's) by the coaches? I contend that a lot of Weber's problems last year had to do with confusion stemming from a different OC almost every year, and the over-sized, overblown mess that was Fisch.

I did not know that it was Jedd Fisch out there throwing passes at peoples feet

Come again? Have you been paying attention at all over the past couple months?

*Sigh* If only coaching football (and evaluating coaches as an AD) were as simple as getting a surefire QB recruit to come play for you.

I meant Weber, not Gray. Bad proofreading. I have the same editor as the Strib.

I am not saying dismiss Brewster cause he cannot develop a QB, I am saying if he does not develop a QB, he will be dismissed. This team is getting better in certain aspects. But if QB play is mediocre at best, this team is not good enough in those other aspects to win enough to save Brewsters job. If Weber is better than Gray and Alipate are going to be, it is not a matter of if Brewster is let go, it is a matter of when.

Carter and Watkins will be Special

Christyn Lewis, Carter and Watkins looked pretty good I thought although they were beat deep several times.

I had been meaning to correct you on this statement but never got around to it. This combo of DBs only got beat deep once in a busted coverage. The other deep ball was a great catch by McNight over Collado who had good coverage position. The rest of the day was pretty much lights out.

Sometimes the stats don't tell you everything. From everything i've heard (wasn't able to attend), Weber looked better than gray.

Weber started hot on the first drive and then proceeded to look like he did last year for the rest of the game. Conversely, Gray struggled early and then looked better in the second half. Anybody that thinks Weber looked better didn't bother paying attention to the whole scrimmage.

Weber started hot on the first drive and then proceeded to look like he did last year for the rest of the game. Conversely, Gray struggled early and then looked better in the second half. Anybody that thinks Weber looked better didn't bother paying attention to the whole scrimmage.

Weber looked the exact same as he always has....in a word

INCONSISTENT

It is great to have inconsistency in a 5th year senior 4 year starting QB. :(

My thoughts...

Weber looked to be the same Weber - he'd make a great throw (put it right on the money over one of the dBacks on a sideline pattern to somebody about 20 yards down the field), and then later had all day and threw a pass right in the middle of four defenders (high, and tipped incomplete).

I thought the offense overall did not look good. Dropped balls by the receivers, some they should have caught, but many were not easy catches, as in, it's not like they were being hit on the numbers in stride.

I wasn't impressed with the offensive line either. The first string was all familiar faces - Burris, Wills, Bunders, Alford, and I believe Orton was playing the other guard spot. Wills looked just as was reported - maybe 5-10 pounds lighter.

Weber was mostly radar-locked, and on several occasions when he did actually look a receiver off, he still threw into bad (covered) spots. So, if by now he has not learned to survey the field, it's just not going to happen, so we'll have to get over it.

Gray looked to be a mess as well. I think being under center and having to drop back (vs. shotgun) is going to be a huge adjustment for him that is going to take time. He just doesn't look comfortable doing it; it's somthinng he's going to have to really work at (from where he is now) to succeed at the QB spot in this offense.

On the positive side for the offense, as Kent said in his summary, McKnight is really inconsistent, but he has a lot of potential. I don't see him making the dynamic, one-hand type of catches, but he's just so big and runs well-enough. He's so raw, but if he really, really works (maybe he can hang with L. Fitz this summer to get some tips) he could be really good.

Also, there weren't many penalties - McKnight had a false start, but I don't recall a hold all day (at least none that were called anyway; I did see a couple that went uncalled). The O was very clean, in that regard.

Eskridge is Eskridge - he's not going to dipsy-doodle anyone really, and isn't going to have any 90 yard runs to the house, but he does run hard. Same with Bennett - Bennett's a little quicker, maybe a little stronger, but he isn't going to outrun anybody. They played okay today - again, not many holes.

The 1st team O-Line also seemed to pass-block pretty-well today. Rallis had two sacks, but one of them was on a missed assignment where he came un-blocked (and blitzed on the other one). I thought they pass-blocked relatively well most of last year as well (I believe Carufel was in street clothes), so that's a wash there.

When the offense had two receiver sets (seemed to be most of the time), McKnight and Stoudmire were the two receivers; Green played with the second team often. Other than a touchdown late from Marquise (when covered by some R. Freshman walk on from Wisconsin), Hayo was pretty much invisible again. In this offense, with fewer receivers on the field, I don't know when he will see the field - it seems it will be spotty.

The 1st string defense played pretty well; Maresh did make some plays (in addition to his five tackles, he also dropped at least one interception - maybe two, but was in the right spot). I do like our linebackers again this year. Both Maresh and Rallis are really active. I did see Maresh let Hoese get under his pads a couple of times on runs up the middle (and got blasted once), but I consider Hoese a steady, solid fullback, so that is going to happen.

Rallis did look good, I thought. Campbell and Triplett were solid (not great) Big Ten linebackers, but Rallis and Maresh both SEEM much quicker, which I think speaks well of Tinsley if in fact he is still around come fall and holds on to the starting spot. They were very active today, and around the ball a ton.

Cooper played well also. As good as Lawrence's measurables were (speed, size, etc.), Cooper seems to be more physical, particularly when taking on blockers. Despite being a little undersized, he can really bring it and doesn't shy away from coming O-Linemen as Lawrence sometimes did.

Carter had a couple of nice plays. He got beat on the long pass to Stoudamire at the beginning (one of Weber's two best passes all day), but he had a nice pass-breakup as well. He also looks like he has put about 15 lbs on his legs alone; he's got a chance to be really good.

Christan Lewis is as skinny as Carter was last year, which is borderline ridiculous for a junior. Granted, he is expected to play corner, but he's a junior - what's the deal? He did lay a nice pop on McKnight to cause a drop, and also filled the hole with a really nice hit on Bennet at one point as well, which caught me by surprise. It seemed to me he is definitely a corner, not a safety.

Kenny Watkins looks to be in good shape; I didn't notice him make any plays, but again, he too (like Carter), looks like he's been in the weight room.

Collado is still Collado - just a tough, solid, little son-of-a-gun; I wish he was about four inches taller and twenty pounds heavier, but he plays low and hard.

I was disappointed in the lack of pressure the D-Line put on Weber. Hageman was playing with Kirksey, Edwards and Wilhite. Wilhite seemed to get better pressure as the game went on, but again, I don't believe any of them got a sack the entire game. That being said, they are really stout against the run. I'm not sure if that is because our O-Line still can't run block, or they are just that good - maybe a little of both.

I was surprised to see the 2nd D Line consisted of Garin, KGM, Ferguson, and Austin Hahn - not Jacobs! Jacobs rotated in some, but it appeared he was mostly with the third-team (Jacques is playing guard). This is a good thing - he has had considerable playing time, but the young guys appear to have moved past him; maybe we have more depth than I thought?

Hahn, who I had never heard of before today, actually really impressed me the first part of the scrimmage. He doesn't look as big as he was listed today (6'4, 285), but he played every bit of that - I hate the "motor" word, but he seems to be a tough hombre (was also going against Jacques most of the day however, and I'm not sure how much can be expected of Jacques in the guard spot).

I was actually really impressed with the 2nd team D. Singleton (LB), Garin, KGM, and Ferguson, were all really active. The 2nd team D actually dominated the 2nd team O all day and probably scored at least 2/3 of the D's "points".

On the 2nd team O, Olson and Michel are tall, lean dudes. They were both listed today at 6'7, 300+, but they are really, really lean - they look like Iowa linemen. Based upon how little they 2nd O moved the ball today, I can't say they played really well, but they are going to be some beasts (in two years, put them with Gjere, Tommy Olson, and Jonathan Ragoo, cor instance, and that is a HUGE O-Line(!), which would be awesome!). I don't like seeing linemen out of shape, so I'm excited about the future for these two (Jacques looked like a midget next to Michel).

Ellestad was solid on the Field Goals (they didn't even put a defense on the field against the kick team), but his kickoffs were terrible - not sure if he kicked a single one inside the ten going either direction, which will be an issue. Orseske had a couple of nice punts and looks to be recovered from his injury last fall.

Overall, it seemed we have similar issues as we did last fall - poor quarterback play (remember - both starting safeties weren't even playing today - Theret and Royston), and questionable run-blocking. The defense, despite being really young, seems quicker and more athletic. I didn't get a sense who the leaders on the D are going to be. Honestly, the most vocal seemed to be Maresh, and I just liked his demeanor - he seemed to be really enjoying himself. I know Edwards and Kirksey are being called upon as leaders, but they also were coming out on passing downs (KGM was actually coming in to play DT in a 3 technique, with Wilhite and Sheed on the ends). Maresh and Rallis seem to be palls and play off of each other well (lots of celebratory, leaping butt bumps).

I'm excited about the defense; skeptical of the offense; hopefull they all have productive, healthy summers and improve a ton.

Nice post, lots of info. Thank you.

Good Weber showed up. He threw one pass into the ground on purpose when the defense was all over a screen pass. Gray is getting pushed by Alipate. Alipate has the strongest arm of the three. Gray is not a lock to be our QB next year.

Both O and D lines looked better than last year. Teams will have trouble running on us this year. O line looks better but still work to do. Wills is thinner than last season. Michel and Olson looked ok - we wouldn't lose much if they had to go in on the first line.

Agree with previous poster on D line. Wilhite will get some sacks this year. Hageman plays high, Edwards and Kirksey will control the interior line.

I was impressed by Tiree Eure - no passes were thrown his way during the game but he made some nice catches during warm ups. He is big but not fat at all. Good speed and mobility.

Rallis had a nice game - he'll make some big plays for us this year.

I was disappointed by the drops of the receivers. Green and McKnight both dropped a couple so did Stoudermire. I guess in their defense they were taking some hard hits out there and the ball was getting knocked lose - never-the-less...

Overall both O and D will be better than last year. This will be Brews best team to date. I am not sure that will translate into a better record however but I am pretty sure it is not doomsday as some are predicting. Doggie with his prediction of 5 wins is wrong.

Whatever happened to that Carpenter kid? Five stars coming out of Juco and he didn't play a lick last season (2 receptions, 43 yards). Has he reached 165 pounds yet?

Top Bottom