So Where Does Morgan Rank

gopherbadgerman

Reaction score
Amongst all time U of M QB’s? He’s number 1 in wins, beat Wisconsin twice and has the best season in 40 years under his belt. Is he the best? Top 3? Top 5? What says gopher hole?

Top 5 I'd say after beating Wisconsin for the 2nd time. Which is more a statement on how poor our QBs have been historically than on how great he is.

I'd have these guys above him for sure:
Sandy Stephens
Rickie Foggie
Tony Dungy

He ranks high. He's also had more talent around him than any other QB. How many Gophers QB had 2 First Team All Conference WRs to throw to in the same season?
For that matter, has any team had 2 First Team All Conference WRs on their team in the same year?

He ranks high. He's also had more talent around him than any other QB. How many Gophers QB had 2 First Team All Conference WRs to throw to in the same season?
For that matter, has any team had 2 First Team All Conference WRs on their team in the same year?
You know Minnesota used to be pretty good right? We have had QBs play with heisman finalists

He is top two with Ricky Foggie. Both he Foggie and Morgan were program changers. They helped change perception of Minnesota football.

Morgan #1 in my lifetime and I'm iny late 40s.

I'm way old. Barely remember Sandy Stephens.

Hard to compare across eras. So many different offensive schemes (some of them really offensive). So much variance in the quality of the supporting cast. That said, Morgan ranks in the top two or three in my years of Gopher fandom. He doesn't have over-the-top athletic ability as in quick feet or a big arm, but he's more than just a game manger. Generally makes good decisions.

Hard to assign blame in the losses to Bowling Green and Illinois, but I don't think the coaching staff did a lot in terms of making adjustments.

Foggie was the bomb, but recently Mitch and Tanner were all in, great leaders and gave everything, in every facet.

all depends on your criteria for ranking QB's.

If you're going strictly by W's and L's, then Morgan is probably at the top.

But, if you are ranking based on athletic ability, arm strength, ability to run, etc, then Morgan is going to wind up lower on the list.

I will admit that I wonder how a Weber or a Cupito would look if you could substitute them for Morgan. Foggie was more of a run-first QB. AAK was inconsistent but he could make plays.

found some stats-
Cupito had the lowest interception % of recent Gopher QB's (pre-Morgan)
AAK had the higher TD %. as in % of throws that resulted in TD's.
Weber had highest completion %.
Surprisingly, Foggie completed less than 50% of his pass attempts.

But, if you are ranking based on athletic ability, arm strength, ability to run, etc, then Morgan is going to wind up lower on the list.

I will admit that I wonder how a Weber or a Cupito would look if you could substitute them for Morgan. Foggie was more of a run-first QB. AAK was inconsistent but he could make plays.

found some stats-
Good stats there. My memory may be bad but damn I feel like Weber or AAK could make more plays. But Morgan beat PSU, Auburn, and Wisconsin

#1bin my heart tonight.

Really wish “Q” would have been given the chance. I think he would have been special.

found some stats-
Good points on Weber. In all my years of Gopher fandom, I don't think I've ever seen a player with more talent basically wasted because of all the changes in scheme and assistant coaches.

I'm not going to throw shade, but someone mentioned Dungy. Great human being and good professional player (albeit at the different position), but he was nowhere near the QB he was made out to be when recruited. Again, as in the case of Foggie, it is really difficult to make comparisons given how different the veer offense was to what later coaches installed.

Top Bottom