So Nebraska fans were right

Cosgrove really is an atrocious coordinator, but his tour of duty in the Twin Cities is nearly done. Rest in pieces, sir.

Well

werent many of them part of the 17th top recruiting class in the country? I think thats why expectations were higher.

ughhh idk because SD had a better D maybe? The utter confusion on half the plays where they are supposed to cover/fill after the balls been snapped? Players who know exactly what their job is play with less hesitation. When you get beat repeatedly on blown assignments you play with more hesitation. They look slow because the D is hesitant. You can see it in the D line even. The ball is snapped and sometimes you can see the line check each other to see if they are supposed to be doing a stunt or w/e

There are a litany of problems with the defense. Poor gap discipline, lack of containment, poor fundamentals, questionable scheming, lack of adjustment and one of my biggest pet peeves very little effort to disguise defensive alignments and blitzes. Maybe you can get away with a vanilla, unimaginative defense when you have a tremendous talent advantage over the opposition, but the Gophers don't and their inability to execute the most basic elements of a defense reek of poor coaching from the coordinator down.

Cosgrove could be the worst D-coordinator in the world for all I know, but there's bigger problems with this defense than who is coordinating it. Edwards and Kirksey have just been shredded all year.

If I were an assistant on this team, I don't think I would want this tenure on my resume.

That's true. Cosgrove would want to be judged on the bad jobs he's done other places.

Cosgrove Nebraska: Started well but was unable to develop new players into positions

Cosgrove Minnesota: Started ok but was unable to develop new players into positions

I don't even remember what it's like to celebrate a sack. Between the Gophers and Vikings, did we even have one in the month of October?

Cosgrove could be the worst D-coordinator in the world for all I know, but there's bigger problems with this defense than who is coordinating it. Edwards and Kirksey have just been shredded all year.

How much of the blame falls on Kirksey and Edwards, I don't know. I do know however that Cosgrove couldn't do anything with Suh as a D-linemen. If you cannot put a decent defense onthe field with one of the greatest collegiate d-linemen ever, you are a terrible coach.

I honestly don't know how good or bad Cosgrove is as a coach. His record speaks for itself and it's not very impressive. As for Suh, Cosgrove only had him two years (plus medical red-shirt year) and his stats looked pretty good. Sure, he blew up as a junior, but he was hardly a wash-out in the Cosgrove defense.

Kirksey and Edwards have been the world's largest invisible men all season.

Is Monte Kiffin a bad DC because they gave up 50+ to Oregon?

Who wouldn't struggle with this unit? When you're starting guys with the athleticism of Kyle Henderson, Kyle Theret, Ryan Grant, Ryan Collado, and a guy who was a WR a couple of weeks ago on the back 7 its a wonder teams don't put up triple digits against us.

I honestly don't know how good or bad Cosgrove is as a coach. His record speaks for itself and it's not very impressive. As for Suh, Cosgrove only had him two years (plus medical red-shirt year) and his stats looked pretty good. Sure, he blew up as a junior, but he was hardly a wash-out in the Cosgrove defense.

Kirksey and Edwards have been the world's largest invisible men all season.

Suh was a decent player under Cosgrove. For instance, his stats his RS SO season were pretty similar to like Anthony Jacobs stats in his RS SO season. He wasn't invisible, but that is vastly underachieving for a guy (Suh) who is one of the best collegiate defensive lineman in recent history. I'm sure a chunk of that is on Suh improving as a player, but you have to think a guy with Suh's ability was not being used properly with Cosgrove.

The Nebraska people were right. He is stuck in the 1970's, won't adjust and takes good athletes and ruins them. The proof?? It's in the pudding( Neb and MN,)

Is Monte Kiffin a bad DC because they gave up 50+ to Oregon?

Who wouldn't struggle with this unit? When you're starting guys with the athleticism of Kyle Henderson, Kyle Theret, Ryan Grant, Ryan Collado, and a guy who was a WR a couple of weeks ago on the back 7 its a wonder teams don't put up triple digits against us.

Thread is a 0% reflection of the game yesterday. Of all the things this D does you think it's the athleticism that's holding them back? You have to be kidding. Against OSU maybe it showed, but it is nowhere close to being the reason this D is not good.

And yet his defense was pretty good last season and is probably the sole reason you won any games. I just don't think the defensive players are as good or experienced as last year.

Judge him on his previous work? He has three Rose Bowl rings from Wisconsin.

I also think it is interesting that Lee, the supposed co-DC, doesn't get mentioned. The DB's have been arguably the worst part of the defense.

Suh was a decent player under Cosgrove. For instance, his stats his RS SO season were pretty similar to like Anthony Jacobs stats in his RS SO season. He wasn't invisible, but that is vastly underachieving for a guy (Suh) who is one of the best collegiate defensive lineman in recent history. I'm sure a chunk of that is on Suh improving as a player, but you have to think a guy with Suh's ability was not being used properly with Cosgrove.

Can't argue with that. My initial response was to a post that made it sound like Suh went from the fifth-string under Cosgrove to an All-American under Pelini.

I did notice that Cosgrove brought the corners up to the line more against Ohio State (not that it mattered). If that had been done against Northwestern, we may have won that game.

His stint at Madison's Edgewood High School has been left out? 2008 as volunteer asst D coach they were staunch. Edgefest was in full swing and those kids rallied to hold the Middleton Cardinals.

There are a litany of problems with the defense. Poor gap discipline, lack of containment, poor fundamentals, questionable scheming, lack of adjustment and one of my biggest pet peeves very little effort to disguise defensive alignments and blitzes. Maybe you can get away with a vanilla, unimaginative defense when you have a tremendous talent advantage over the opposition, but the Gophers don't and their inability to execute the most basic elements of a defense reek of poor coaching from the coordinator down.

Who are you? you are the only guy on this board that acually makes well informed football talk.....
:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

T-money

Who are you? you are the only guy on this board that acually makes well informed football talk.....

Most people on this board could come up with a similar litany of the problems with the defense.

Thread is a 0% reflection of the game yesterday. Of all the things this D does you think it's the athleticism that's holding them back? You have to be kidding. Against OSU maybe it showed, but it is nowhere close to being the reason this D is not good.

Hopefully I am missing some sort of sarcasm. You're honestly telling me we're athletic enough on defense against everyone else but OSU? Did you see John Clay absolutely run over our guys like they were 5th graders? Or the South Dakota (why can't I remember his name) QB who ran right around us? Our guys couldn't even tackle Dan Dierking or Chad Spann! I don't care how out of position you might be - if a guy had talent you would still see it in an open field situation.

Hopefully I am missing some sort of sarcasm. You're honestly telling me we're athletic enough on defense against everyone else but OSU? Did you see John Clay absolutely run over our guys like they were 5th graders? Or the South Dakota (why can't I remember his name) QB who ran right around us? Our guys couldn't even tackle Dan Dierking or Chad Spann! I don't care how out of position you might be - if a guy had talent you would still see it in an open field situation.

The name is Warren. Dante Warren.

ughh what? Are you being sarcastic? 2 of your points are agreeing with what i'm saying. Im not even sure that you can possibly downplay positioning as a major factor on a consistent defense.

Side note, why the hell does this team celebrate second down short yard gains? It seems like every time they do, they give up a first down on the next play.

I'm too pissed not to ramble..............It's too late to matter, BUT...Too much random bulls*** is taking place. Did you notice that Leston Simpson (#92) finally played at DE...I don't think he has played all year...and he got drove off the line like a eight year old kid. Our D-line lacks technique and they are not in good shape. It sounds great to have "hogs" on the d-line until you see that our hogs are more fat than muscle. Most impressive play by a DE on Saturday was KGM running down the OSU punt-returner and tripping him before he was knocked out by Tiree. Wilhite and Garin got drove (too small, too weak), Anthony Jacobs has potential but needs better coaching and needs to drop 10 pounds (too slow), and KGM has potential but they keep moving him and won't let him learn a damn position. Kirksey launched his helmet at the end of the game and stomped out like a preschooler (expect a suspension). Edwards didn't have his fat behind at Captain's practices this summer (no matter how it was covered up), but we have to watch him sucking air every other play.
[My contact on the team] told me that after the game the offensive players were talking about the fact that the OSU linebackers and DBs were calling out MN plays every time we lined up. OSU had done their homework..shocker...and they knew exactly what plays we were running. Once again....COACHING is an issue! The team isn't even reviewing game tape anymore (from the previous week). I guess they have nothing to learn from losing eight straight games. I'm sure the coaches are too busy looking for new jobs and homes.

I don't know if I can stomach these last three games. This whole ship is sinking and the coaches have lost the players.

Top Bottom