Sid says U purposefully ran clock down to limit time for MI

Stan

Reaction score
@GopherHole: Sid Hartman just said on WCCO #Gophers purposefully ran clock down with 19 seconds left because MN didn't want to leave time left for MI

And they did it well. Just didn't manage the last 19 sec right.

Well that only works in theory if you are gonna score. If you run a play around 15 seconds and score there is like 11 seconds left. If you think MI is going to score with 11 seconds left, the issue isn't with the clock

Oh Sid. Who does he think told him that? Michigan would've needed a TD assuming the PAT was made. Assuming a squib kickoff MI would have well under 10 seconds to score a TD even if you were very generous with the time estimate. All they did was not leave enough time for themselves.

I would buy that far more if we had kicked the tying field goal and sent it to OT with 2 seconds on the clock. The fact that we went for the W means you want to maximize your plays in a situation like that. The first down play was a horrible call in that situation with all the shifts and motions. Even if we had scored right away you leave Michigan with like 10 seconds with their backup QB going against one of the top secondaries in the conference needing a TD.....I kind of like those odds.

That's one of the most ridiculous things I've ever heard. The Gophers were near mid-field with time running down. They were handling the huddles like they had all the time in the world. IF the long play that resulted in the ball on the half yard line was a play the Gophers could confidently pull off with regularity, I MAY believe Sid. But history has shown that was more the exception than the rule. So what you're left with is a team who typically struggles to move the ball lolly-gagging around letting valuable time run off the clock and boxing themselves into a tight situation. And they paid the price for it.

@GopherHole: Sid Hartman just said on WCCO #Gophers purposefully ran clock down with 19 seconds left because MN didn't want to leave time left for MI

Not according to QB Leidner they didn't.

Minneapolis — Minnesota had no room for error with two seconds remaining and the ball inside the Michigan 1-yard line.

That’s in part because of confusion on the previous play.

With 19 seconds remaining, the clock began running on the referee’s whistle, after Minnesota’s Drew Wolitarsky was ruled down inside the 1 on a booth review. Minnesota didn’t immediately snap the ball, and by the time Mitch Leidner’s pass fell incomplete, just two seconds remained.

“I don’t think we were expecting it to be going.” Leidner said. “I mean, I wasn’t. We have some shifts and motions on that play as well. We’re trying to go as quick as we can in that situation.”

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/sp...minnesota-confused-second-last-play/74987476/

Damn! Sid keep saying stuff like this and it sounds weaker than the weakest explanations I hear anywhere.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Not according to QB Leidner they didn't.

Minneapolis — Minnesota had no room for error with two seconds remaining and the ball inside the Michigan 1-yard line.

That’s in part because of confusion on the previous play.

With 19 seconds remaining, the clock began running on the referee’s whistle, after Minnesota’s Drew Wolitarsky was ruled down inside the 1 on a booth review. Minnesota didn’t immediately snap the ball, and by the time Mitch Leidner’s pass fell incomplete, just two seconds remained.

“I don’t think we were expecting it to be going.” Leidner said. “I mean, I wasn’t. We have some shifts and motions on that play as well. We’re trying to go as quick as we can in that situation.”

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/sp...minnesota-confused-second-last-play/74987476/

Knowing the rules about when a clock starts and stops is high up on the list of things that a quarterback.

What is worse?

Coaches knew the clock was running and ran it down like that?

Or

Coaches didn't know clock was running?

I think the first one is worse. At least the first one is an honest mistake. The second one is complete stupidity.

People will criticize Sid for this and yet use his endorsement of Claeys as reason to keep up appearances.

People will criticize Sid for this and yet use his endorsement of Claeys as reason to keep up appearances.

I don't think anyone uses Sid for anything anymore.

Keep trying. My guess is after a few more weeks you'll have a second person in the world convinced Lane Kiffin is the answer.

BS. Too many different excuses. Even Leidner said something different. At least Coach Claeys finally acknowledged that he should have had Mitch spike the ball on first down.

The gophers would have been up by 4 had they scored a TD. So the assumption is MI could score a TD from their own 25 in less than 15 seconds?

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

why spike the ball? a half yard pass play takes about three seconds. they should have been better prepared coming out of the play review

The whole final drive was a cluster f&#@ with the team wasting time all the way down the field. After Mitch ran for 5 yards on first down to the Michigan 44, there was 2:18 left on the clock, by the time Shannon Brooks ran for no gain on 2nd down the Gophers took a timeout with 1:35 !!!!! left in the game.

I also find it amusing that a few people are under the assumption that Claeys was "aggressive" in this game. Going in to halftime, the Gophers badly mismanaged the clock and got very conservative trailing Michigan by a point. Lingen was stopped at the Michigan 17 with 42 seconds left. By the time the Gophers ran another play, there were just 23 seconds left in the half. They then run Brooks to the left and kick a field goal. That's 42 seconds with a timeout on the 17 and the Gophers ran one real play. Then early in the 4th quarter, the Gophers have a 3rd and 6 at the Michigan 30....and run up the middle for a yard. On Michigan's go ahead TD, the Gophers had the Wolverines in a 3rd and 10 situation and rushed just 4 (I still don't know what Eric Murray was doing on that play). You can make an argument for any one decision that doesn't involve handling the clock, but they certainly were not "aggressive" decisions.

The whole final drive was a cluster f&#@ with the team wasting time all the way down the field. After Mitch ran for 5 yards on first down to the Michigan 44, there was 2:18 left on the clock, by the time Shannon Brooks ran for no gain on 2nd down the Gophers took a timeout with 1:35 !!!!! left in the game.

I also find it amusing that a few people are under the assumption that Claeys was "aggressive" in this game. Going in to halftime, the Gophers badly mismanaged the clock and got very conservative trailing Michigan by a point. Lingen was stopped at the Michigan 17 with 42 seconds left. By the time the Gophers ran another play, there were just 23 seconds left in the half. They then run Brooks to the left and kick a field goal. That's 42 seconds with a timeout on the 17 and the Gophers ran one real play. Then early in the 4th quarter, the Gophers have a 3rd and 6 at the Michigan 30....and run up the middle for a yard. On Michigan's go ahead TD, the Gophers had the Wolverines in a 3rd and 10 situation and rushed just 4 (I still don't know what Eric Murray was doing on that play). You can make an argument for any one decision that doesn't involve handling the clock, but they certainly were not "aggressive" decisions.
I didn't see Eric Murray on that last Michigan play but the receiver who caught the td beat Boddy Calhoun.

They were aggressive in this game, by Kill regime standards. The offense rolled up 461 yards and 10 yards per attempt and 4.11 yards per rush on one of the top defenses in the nation and the top scoring defense in the Big Ten. Michigan is very stout and fast, make no mistake. We had a plan and executed pretty well.

I believe 461 yards will count as the third or fourth highest yardage total under the Kill regime. Against one of the best defenses in all of football.

We're they aggressive all game? No. I agree on that series before the half, I was frustrated they didn't take another shot. We were rolling and they were on their heels. Some of the other calls are very debatable as well but this is light years from Kent State.

The team came alive for the first time all year, after looking like a middle of the road MAC team. As Claeyes influences Limegrover even more as time goes on I think those of us that believe the best defense is a good offense (while having a good defense to boot) will be satisfied. Really excited for the future as of tonight. One game sample, but so far so good.

This couldn't make any less sense at all. That actually is possibly one of the dumbest statements I have ever heard, and we are now more stupid for having heard it. I award Sid 0 points, and may god have mercy on his soul.

My close personal friend told me Sid has been pulling a "Weekend at Bernie's" since the Mason-era.

giphy.gif

Top Bottom