Sid: Jerry Kill on coaching on sidelines again: “Just being down there, it’s amazing”

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Sid:

Jottings

• Former Gophers football coach Jerry Kill joined Virginia Tech as a special assistant to head coach Justin Fuente in the middle of the season. The Hokies are 7-3. Kill talked to a radio station in Virginia about what it’s like to be coaching on the sidelines again. “Just being down there, it’s amazing,” he said. “I was telling Coach how much better your vision is when you’re not the head coach and a coordinator. You can stand back and really analyze things and see things even better than you do when you’re in the middle of the heat.”

Go Gophers!!

What does a field level special assistant to the head coach do? Is he the guy that grabs his dilly bars?

At some point...please correct me if I'm wrong...let sleeping dogs get shoved into the dumpster.

What does a field level special assistant to the head coach do? Is he the guy that grabs his dilly bars?

Maybe he's been promoted to the "Get Back" coach

At some point...please correct me if I'm wrong...let sleeping dogs get shoved into the dumpster.

It would be really nice if Jerry called PJ Fleck, apologized for his comments and mend the fences a bit. By attacking Fleck who is the face of this program right now, he has alienated himself from the Gophers and I would rather remember him for the good times while he was here.

It would be really nice if Jerry called PJ Fleck, apologized for his comments and mend the fences a bit. By attacking Fleck who is the face of this program right now, he has alienated himself from the Gophers and I would rather remember him for the good times while he was here.
Seems like you know everything that went down. Case Closed.

ol’ jer’ is a ball coach. it’s who he is, it’s in his blood. he helps turn boys into men and football is his vehicle. it’s not a surprise he’s on the sidelines as he can impact the kids more directly as opposed to being in the coaches booth or the stands.

ol’ jer’ is a ball coach. it’s who he is, it’s in his blood. he helps turn boys into men and football is his vehicle. it’s not a surprise he’s on the sidelines as he can impact the kids more directly as opposed to being in the coaches booth or the stands.
This fake country talk like"Ol' Jer" is wearing a little thin. One would suspect you lacked a father figure growing up and Kill filled that hole in your life.

This fake country talk like"Ol' Jer" is wearing a little thin. One would suspect you lacked a father figure growing up and Kill filled that hole in your life.

It's like a modern-day Platonic dialogue.

per Sid:

Jottings

• Former Gophers football coach Jerry Kill joined Virginia Tech as a special assistant to head coach Justin Fuente in the middle of the season. The Hokies are 7-3. Kill talked to a radio station in Virginia about what it’s like to be coaching on the sidelines again. “Just being down there, it’s amazing,” he said. “I was telling Coach how much better your vision is when you’re not the head coach and a coordinator. You can stand back and really analyze things and see things even better than you do when you’re in the middle of the heat.”

Go Gophers!!

Bleed

I love what you do with posting all the articles but why pick the Kill section of Sid's column to highlight? The story was full of current notes and frankly this site just needs to move on from Kill. Everytime he gets brought up it just launches all the stupid back and forth bickering.

If he doesn't say or do something directly related to the U of M it would be in everyones best interest to just ignore Kill at this point. Good for him, glad he is "happy" standing on the sideline again, just a matter of time till he tries to get back into fulltime coaching to be followed shortly by the inevitable health failure.

Bleed

I love what you do with posting all the articles but why pick the Kill section of Sid's column to highlight? The story was full of current notes and frankly this site just needs to move on from Kill. Everytime he gets brought up it just launches all the stupid back and forth bickering.

I clicked on the thread title because I was interested.

Bleed

If he doesn't say or do something directly related to the U of M it would be in everyones best interest to just ignore Kill at this point. Good for him, glad he is "happy" standing on the sideline again, just a matter of time till he tries to get back into fulltime coaching to be followed shortly by the inevitable health failure.
Not sure if Bleed could ever post something that wouldn't lead into stupid back and forth bickering. Nature of the human being these days unfortunately.

Jerry Kill's a good coach and he loves doing it. Maybe it's not the best thing for his health, but a lot of people risk a lot to do what they love. I see people climbing cliff faces, and my reactions is "nope!" but that's what they love doing.

Jerry is dead to me. Loved the guy while he was here, but he turned his back on us, not the other way around.

Interesting nugget - VaTech's D Coordinator is retiring this year. Jerry Kill's former DC "stepped down" midseason from Washington State. Hmm....

As I've said before, Kill is an addict. He has to coach. Being an AD or an adviser doesn't give him the "buzz" he needs. he has to be working with players, game-planning, etc. And he will chase that high wherever he can find it, even if the results are often detrimental to his health and/or reputation.

When he went after Fleck, that had all the earmarks of being on a "dry drunk."

I can sympathize.

Bleed

You are more than welcome to start a thread and post whatever part of Sid’s article you would rather discuss. The new site platform makes it easier than ever. Go for it!

I don't really care either. But guess what, I have this option of not clicking on the thread if I don't want to read about it. Came in here just to say that because I knew there would be people pissing and moaning about a thread on Kill.

No kidding.

As I've said before, Kill is an addict. He has to coach. Being an AD or an adviser doesn't give him the "buzz" he needs. he has to be working with players, game-planning, etc. And he will chase that high wherever he can find it, even if the results are often detrimental to his health and/or reputation.

When he went after Fleck, that had all the earmarks of being on a "dry drunk."

I can sympathize.

You've pretty much nailed it. He’s kind of a train wreck, but in slow motion.

They are 5-2 since he was hired on September 17th.
Guessing (pure guess) his experience and knowledge would be a welcome addition to some staffs across the country but not all. I thank him for his time here. Having said that, it’s time to move on. I wish him well in his coaching or whatever his endeavor may be - sideline coach, AD, special consultant to the assistant of football operations, {insert any title} Coach Fleck and our players have an outstanding season going. I thank him and the players for this. I wish him continued success and will be cheering (as always) for the Gophers. Whoever our coach is, regardless of season, future team, or title, I want / celebrate success for the U of M football and fanbase. An article on a former Gopher Coach, while somewhat interesting information, has no bearing of my opinion of the present season. Ski U Mah
Buck

Jerry is a saint, everything he does in life is for the boys.

Top Bottom