Sid: It will be interesting to see if former Maple Grove RB Evan Hull play against Gophers

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Sid:

Jottings

• It will be interesting to see if Evan Hull, the Northwestern freshman running back from Maple Grove, will play against the Gophers on Saturday. Hull rushed for 220 yards with four touchdowns in the Wildcats’ 45-6 win over Massachusetts last week. The only question is if Northwestern wants to save Hull’s redshirt, because he has now appeared in four games and will lose his redshirt eligibility if he plays a fifth.

Go Gophers!!

It would be dumb to burn a red shirt over one game if he wants to elevate his game in the long run. I'm sure his heart wants to play. He would be best to sit out the season at this point.

Bleed...I notice you have administrator by your name. Could you explain?

I can't imagine they burn his shirt in a lost season ... that would be bonkers.

Then again if you think the guy might not be there for extra years regardless ... maybe you do.

I can't imagine they burn his shirt in a lost season ... that would be bonkers.

Then again if you think the guy might not be there for extra years regardless ... maybe you do.

Not sure where he falls on their depth chart but agree it would be kind of silly to burn the year at this point if you think he has a chance to be a factor for you going forward.

Not sure where he falls on their depth chart but agree it would be kind of silly to burn the year at this point if you think he has a chance to be a factor for you going forward.

From a purely coach's perspective I agree.

But often coaches ask players and their families what they want to do too. If he wants to go and maybe doesn't plan on hanging out for the full ride... he might want to play.

Didn't he start the year 4th or 5th on the depth chart? If so, I wouldn't be surprised if they just play him and assume he'll be able to redshirt next year. Guess we'll find out soon enough...

Did he start last week partly out of necessity? I think they've had a bunch of injuries at RB.

From a purely coach's perspective I agree.

But often coaches ask players and their families what they want to do too. If he wants to go and maybe doesn't plan on hanging out for the full ride... he might want to play.
I am guessing he will play. He has a chance to play as a starter the next couple games, they really need him as they have been so dinged up and for extra motivation, he gets to start against his home state team in front of family and friends making the trip I will be surprised if he DOESN'T play tbh..

I am guessing he will play. He has a chance to play as a starter the next couple games, they really need him as they have been so dinged up and for extra motivation, he gets to start against his home state team in front of family and friends making the trip I will be surprised if he DOESN'T play tbh..

Yeah I wouldn't be suprised.

The whole saving the red shirt thing makes sense on paper, but a lot of things factor into it.

Just remember that UMass lost 48-21 to Rutgers.

A have an Evan Hull story to share. Almost a year ago at this time, I organized a charity event at the U with the MN HS football All-Stars. We had a lot of downtime to chat while we worked on craft projects for hospital patients, so I had the occasion to chat with various college-bound players like Quinn Carroll, Cole Kramer, Jason Williamson, David Roddy, etc.

Most all of the high major guys had committed somewhere by this point, so it was interesting to me that Hull was holding out with the offers he had on the table. And with early signing day only about 2 weeks away, it was probably pretty risky to not jump on one of those offers and risk them all going away. At this point, his offers were from MAC schools, service academies, local FCS schools - on paper, his best offer was probably Buffalo. I asked him where he was going to sign and he gave a sly grin and said, "I'm holding out to see what offers come before signing day in February."

After that conversation, I watched his recruitment intently to see what would happen. About a month later, he got a KSU offer after they hired Klieman (who had offered and recruited him at NDSU), and then in late January he got an offer from Northwestern and committed after his official visit. I remember thinking how ballsy it was for him to wait for a Power 5 offer and to finally get one from an elite academic school. Looking back at that now, it's awesome to see what he's done so far with his shot as a true freshman. Given the circumstances (late offer, few Power 5 offers, etc.) I wouldn't have been surprised if he had never seen the field for Northwestern, let alone had a 200-yard rushing game as a true freshman.

Top Bottom