Sid Hartman: Gophers football aiming for better passing game

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Sid:

The Gophers completed their 15 days of spring practice with the spring game Saturday, and coach Jerry Kill said he knows that if the team is going to improve this season, it is going to need a more effective passing game.

The Gophers play Ohio State and Texas Christian this season, and if they want to compete with those two teams, which will be two of the top teams in the country in preseason polls, they are going to have to throw the ball well.

I’ll leave it to you to conclude whether passing 28-for-50 for 182 yards in a long scrimmage Saturday at TCF Bank Stadium is an improvement over last year. No. 1 quarterback Mitch Leidner completed five of 11 passes for 53 yards, No. 2 Chris Streveler was 11-for-20 for 73 yards, and Conor Rhoda was the best at 12-for-19 for 56 yards.

“If we want to take the next step and get more wins, it’s going to have to [improve],” Kill said of the passing game. “We can’t lose our identity of who we are, we’re going to run the football, but at the same time if we can be like we were — turnover-free and play like we did when we played Missouri [in the Citrus Bowl], rush for about 200-250 and pass for another 200, have about 450 yards of offense, that’s a pretty good day.

“That’s something we need to work towards. I thought we did a good job in the bowl game except turning the ball over. I felt like we could have run it a little bit better. But any coach would like to have a little bit of balance in that. But our identity is running the football, but I think we win two or three more games last year if we throw it a little bit better. That’s our fault, nobody else’s, not the kids’ fault.”

http://www.startribune.com/sports/gophers/299468881.html

Go Gophers!!

He may still
per Sid:

The Gophers completed their 15 days of spring practice with the spring game Saturday, and coach Jerry Kill said he knows that if the team is going to improve this season, it is going to need a more effective passing game.

The Gophers play Ohio State and Texas Christian this season, and if they want to compete with those two teams, which will be two of the top teams in the country in preseason polls, they are going to have to throw the ball well.

I’ll leave it to you to conclude whether passing 28-for-50 for 182 yards in a long scrimmage Saturday at TCF Bank Stadium is an improvement over last year. No. 1 quarterback Mitch Leidner completed five of 11 passes for 53 yards, No. 2 Chris Streveler was 11-for-20 for 73 yards, and Conor Rhoda was the best at 12-for-19 for 56 yards.

“If we want to take the next step and get more wins, it’s going to have to [improve],” Kill said of the passing game. “We can’t lose our identity of who we are, we’re going to run the football, but at the same time if we can be like we were — turnover-free and play like we did when we played Missouri [in the Citrus Bowl], rush for about 200-250 and pass for another 200, have about 450 yards of offense, that’s a pretty good day.

“That’s something we need to work towards. I thought we did a good job in the bowl game except turning the ball over. I felt like we could have run it a little bit better. But any coach would like to have a little bit of balance in that. But our identity is running the football, but I think we win two or three more games last year if we throw it a little bit better. That’s our fault, nobody else’s, not the kids’ fault.”

http://www.startribune.com/sports/gophers/299468881.html

Go Gophers!!

Thank you, Jerry. With our schedule this year we may not win more games and frankly I'm OK with that as long as we bring our A game to each contest and let the chips fall where they may. But, thank you for acknowledging that the O needs to try and change for our team to become elite. We may still be hamstrung because I don't think Limegrover is as good an O coordinator as we should/could have and he's not going anywhere, and Leidner may never be more than a slightly below average B1G QB and our receivers may be average and/or young but Kill is acknowledging what they tried to throw out there in the past needed to change and they are persevering to do so. That's all we can ask.

Limegrover is a good to very good coordinator. It's his players that are not up to the task. plenty of times in the past 3 years Lime dialed up the rt play at the rt time ----awful pass, awful drop.

Limegrover is a good to very good coordinator. It's his players that are not up to the task. plenty of times in the past 3 years Lime dialed up the rt play at the rt time ----awful pass, awful drop.

Irony?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom