Sid Hartman: Apple Valley basketball talent can't pass up Duke

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Sid:

Apple Valley boys’ basketball coach Zach Goring knows well how Duke is able to recruit so well in Minnesota. Three of his former players — Tyus Jones, Gary Trent Jr., and now Tre Jones — all committed to the Blue Devils and coach Mike Krzyzewski.

“He pushed hard for all three of them,” Goring said. “He was in many of our open gyms. He is kind of the one guy who really has an ‘it’ factor when he walks into the gym.

“He was a USA Basketball coach. He and his staff do a great job on home visits of showing what Duke has to offer, and I’m not surprised any of our kids have went to Duke. It’s a tough place to turn down, especially when Coach Krzyzewski is sitting in your living room offering a chance to play for him.”

Goring, in his 10th season as Eagles head coach, said all three of those players were heavily recruited by many programs, but Krzyzewski’s sustained success helps Duke continue to attract top recruits.

“I just think when schools really have it going like he does right now, and they have the environment they do at Cameron Indoor Stadium, kids kind of gravitate towards that,” Goring said. “The top players in the summer really get to know each other well. They play on these circuits and start talking about, ‘Let’s go somewhere together.’ When there is a top-10 kid in the country, Duke is certainly an option of a place where they would want to go play. I think kids trust that he will do a good job with them and prepare them for the next level.”

Did other programs have a shot at landing the former Apple Valley stars?

“With Tyus, Michigan State was very involved, Tubby Smith with the Gophers, Ohio State was around a lot,” Goring said. “With Tre, it was a little more quiet. I think Duke and Minnesota, UCLA, Arizona, but I think in the back of everyone’s mind, Tre has always loved Duke and I think a lot of folks thought he was a shoo-in to follow his brother to Duke.”

http://www.startribune.com/apple-valley-basketball-talent-can-t-pass-up-duke/507174432/

Go Gophers!!

Top Bottom