Sid: Carter Coughlin carries his family's legacy at University of Minnesota

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Sid:

There have been few players who embody the best aspects of the Gophers better than senior linebacker Carter Coughlin.

Not only does he have a huge family connection to the university, but his ties to Eden Prairie — the best high school football program in the state — showcase the kind of success the Gophers want to have at the collegiate level.

And the family ties to the university will continue for some time with his cousin Cole Kramer, who also played at Eden Prairie, joining the club this season as a freshman quarterback. Bud Grant, the former Vikings head coach and father of Eden Prairie head coach Mike Grant, said Kramer is the best prep quarterback he has ever seen.

On top of the family ties, Coughlin is one of the most highly touted players in recent history for the Gophers.

He is a preseason All-America according to analyst Phil Steele, he was named to the watch list for the Bronko Nagurski Trophy, which honors the best defensive player in college football, and he was recently awarded an Academic All-Big Ten designation.

Coughlin said his desire to do great things for the Gophers started with his grandfather.

“We have Grandpa [Tom] Moe starting it off, obviously he played football here, played baseball here, was the AD here, as well,” Coughlin said. “He is someone that just absolutely loves sports, loves competition, all of that stuff.

“My dad [Bob Coughlin] played football here, then my mom Jenny Moe, now Jenny Coughlin, is a Hall of Fame tennis player here. My uncle Mike Moe played football here, as well. And now me and my cousin Cole Kramer are on the football team here. So the family bloodline runs deep in Minnesota.”

http://www.startribune.com/carter-c...-legacy-at-university-of-minnesota/542999942/

Go Gophers!!

Carter is a MN boy through and through...eating General Mills cereal for breakfast!

He added that his father had him dissecting game tape over the breakfast table in elementary school.

“I was in third grade when I started playing tackle football. But football in the yard, doing tackling drills, that started early on,” he said. “Even in third, fourth, fifth grade my dad would sit and watch film with me while I’d eat Cinnamon Toast Crunch for breakfast and go over stuff, even though as a third-grader I don’t know how much I could get out of film.”

http://www.startribune.com/carter-c...-legacy-at-university-of-minnesota/542999942/

Go Gophers!!

Top Bottom