Should PJ and staff be looking for a TE in the portal?

GoldenMAV30266

Reaction score
BSF has been our TE since I was 9 years old.. I’m 33 now. I truthfully know nothing about the rest of the TE’s on roster.

Should they go after guys like Jude Wolfe, Mark Redman, Ryland Goede etc… or are they good?

This is literally one position I’ve never had to look in to 😂

Kind of a mobius loop because BSF didnt do anything to help his cause, but you only go looking for one if you are actually going to use the position. Needs to be some re-definition of what the offense is trying to do based upon the QB “Get”.

BSF is gone after this season, as everyone knows. Also going, I believe, is Nick Kallerup, who has started as out "blocking" TE for at least two seasons. Kallerup was an under-sung but valuable component in PJ's run-heavy offense; he was thrown to a few times and made some outstanding catches. Also leaving is preferred W/O Wyatt Schroeder, looking for a scholarship elsewhere, no doubt.

The Gophers have lots of bodies but virtually no playing experience at TE, which means a TE transfer might be called for.

As for returning scholarship TEs, next up is Jameson Geers (2 years eligibility), who has been hyped up a lot by PJ, but has hardly ever seen the field. Then Pierce Walsh (3), transfer Nathan Jones (3) and local freshman Sam Peters (4). Gophs also carry W/O TEs Frank Bierman (2) and Jack DiSano (3).

In the 2024 recruiting class are two fairly highly-rated TE candidates, Julian Johnson (88 rating) and Jacob Simpson (87).

The roster guys, and the two coming in 2024, look to be actual receiver-type TEs. Not really the blocking types like Kallerup.

One possible wild card might be Spencer Alvarez, 6'6'' 290 from Columbia Heights, who was recruited as a TE but got moved to the OL in 2022, his freshman year. He was supposedly a pretty decent basketball player. Maybe he gets moved back to blocking TE (having practiced for a year or two with the OL)?

Last edited:

They have lots of TE’s in their roster, time for 1-2 to step up. I don’t think they need to hit the portal here.

BSF is gone after this season, as everyone knows. Also going, I believe, is Nick Kallerup, who has started as out "blocking" TE for at least two seasons. Kallerup was an under-sung but valuable component in PJ's run-heavy offense; he was thrown to a few times and made some outstanding catches. Also leaving is preferred W/O Wyatt Schroeder, looking for a scholarship elsewhere, no doubt.

The Gophers have lots of bodies but virtually no playing experience at TE, which means a TE transfer might be called for.

As for returning scholarship TEs, next up is Jameson Geers (2 years eligibility), who has been hyped up a lot by PJ, but has hardly ever seen the field. Then 2023 transfer Nathan Jones (3) and local freshman Sam Peters (4). Gophs also carry W/O TEs Frank Bierman (2) and Jack DiSano (3).

In the 2024 recruiting class are two fairly highly-rated TE candidates, Julian Johnson (88 rating) and Jacob Simpson (87).

The roster guys, and the two coming in 2024, look to be actual receiver-type TEs. Not really the blocking types like Kallerup.

One possible wild card might be Spencer Alvarez, 6'6'' 290 from Columbia Heights, who was recruited as a TE but got moved to the OL in 2022, his freshman year. He was supposedly a pretty decent basketball player. Maybe he gets moved back to blocking TE (having practiced for a year or two with the OL)?
Pierce Walsh is back too.

As for returning scholarship TEs, next up is Jameson Geers (2 years eligibility), who has been hyped up a lot by PJ, but has hardly ever seen the field. Then Pierce Walsh (3), transfer Nathan Jones (3) and local freshman Sam Peters (4). Gophs also carry W/O TEs Frank Bierman (2) and Jack DiSano (3).

One of the most informational posts I’ve read on this site. H/T.

as far as I'm concerned, when a program has depth issues such as we saw this season, there is no position that should be off-limits for improvement.

So I would say - if there is a transfer out there who would help the team at any position, go get them. get as many transfers as you can (or as you can afford......).

BUT - they need to be able to step right in and play - if not as a starter, then certainly in the 2-deeps.

TEs want to go where they are involved in the offense and not just blocking.

Anyone that can improve the offense including Oline are welcome additions. But if they recruit a tight end they need pass catcher type like Iowa always has.

Fleck always seems to include a TE or two in every recruiting class. I would guess that Geers is in line for a larger role and it will be interesting to see if Sam Peters contributes as a pass-catcher. Hard to know if there are adjustments to the offense that will feature the TE more and if there are, they probably need to make sure they've got the right guys on the roster to warrant that.

Someone mentioned Iowa and their TEs are usually their leading receivers. They've had some good ones over the years. A good TE can be a match-up nightmare, but with defenses now featuring more speed, that advantage has been blunted.

Top Bottom