Short week delays Motzko's Gophers a chance to meet Floyd of Rosedale

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Per Jess:

Although Gophers coach Bob Motzko said that playing on Thursday night, and not on Saturday night, has meant he has not had time to see or touch the most heralded visitor to the U of M campus in some time. Via last Saturday's rare win at Iowa (their first since 1999) the Gophers football team is in possession of Floyd of Rosedale, the 90-pound bronze trophy in the shape of a pig which is given to the winner of the annual rivalry game.

“I have not yet,” Motzko said, when asked if he’s gotten to see the trophy, which dates back to the 1930s. “I’ve been kind of wrapped up here in a short week … you lose a day of our routine. But I’m kind of excited for Saturday night.”

Asked about the trophy and his friends on the football team, Close may have been thinking ahead to supper when he considered Paul Bunyan’s Ax — which the Gophers won from Wisconsin last season — and Floyd the swine.

“I’m surprised at how many different trophies they have for all of these rivalries,” Close said. “There’s an ax and there’s a pig. I’m just wondering when the two of them are going to meet, maybe, and have a nice ham dinner.”

Go Gophers!!

Top Bottom