Shooter Now: Ex-Gopher Eric Decker awaits draft, recovery

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Former University of Minnesota receiver Eric Decker, whose record-setting Gophers career ended in October with a severe foot injury against Ohio State, expects to be 100 percent in time to begin an NFL career next season.

Decker underwent major surgery on his left foot in November and is scheduled to have a three-inch plate removed March 15. Decker, who already has graduated with a degree in business and marketing education, has been preparing this winter in Phoenix for April's NFL draft.

Expected to be the highest Gopher chosen in the draft, the 6-foot-3, 225-pounder from Cold Spring, Minn., will attend NFL combine workouts next week in Indianapolis, but will be limited to some upper-body strength tests and interviews with coaches and scouts.

"The (protective) boot is off, and I'm walking on a treadmill machine and able to put 25 percent to 40 percent of my body weight on the foot," Decker said from Phoenix. "I'm working with another machine and new technology that's supposed to speed up injury recovery and prevent other injuries."

Despite his injury, Decker is expected to be drafted in the second or third round. His offensive coordinator last season, Jedd Fisch, has joined Pete Carroll's Seattle Seahawks staff as quarterbacks coach. That makes the Seahawks the early guess as to Decker's NFL destination because of Fisch's familiarity. The Vikings and Detroit Lions also are high on Decker, though.

"Playing for the home team (Vikings) is always a dream come true, but (the draft) takes care of itself," Decker said.

After the combine, Decker will return to Phoenix to continue rehabilitation. But he'll attend an NFL pro-day workout March 10 at the Gophers' Bierman complex.

"I'll catch some balls if the scouts want that, talk with them, but I still won't be able to do any running," he said.

Decker also will participate in the 225-pound bench-press tests that measure continuous repetitions.

Decker's timeline is to be able to run at 50 percent to 60 percent by the end of April, 75 percent to 85 percent by mid-June, and 100 percent by NFL camp time in July.

"In the mornings when I get up, the foot's a little stiff, but once I get going, it's fine," he said. "I'm pretty happy with the progress I've been making."

http://www.twincities.com/ci_14410565

Go Gophers!!

Top Bottom