Shooter: "It looks like Oturu will be a top-15 overall pick"

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Shooter:

Twenty-four of the NBA’s 30 teams have contacted Cretin-Derham Hall for background checks on Daniel Oturu, the former Raiders star who is leaving the Gophers after his sophomore season to turn professional.

The 6-10, 240-pound Oturu will be represented by Bill Duffy, who also will represent point guard Tre Jones from Apple Valley via Duke. Duffy, a former Gophers guard, is among the NBA’s prominent agents. He also represents Tre’s brother Tyus, who has a $28 million, three-year guaranteed contract with the Memphis Grizzlies. Tre also is leaving college after his sophomore season.

It looks like Oturu will be a top-15 overall pick, Jones late in the first round.

The NBA draft, initially scheduled for June 25, has been indefinitely postponed, probably until at least August, depending on playoffs.

By the way, Zeke Nnaji, the 6-11 Hopkins’ grad via Arizona, could be a first-round pick, as could Tyrell Terry, the 6-3 point guard from DeLaSalle via Stanford.

Four NBA first-round draft picks would be unheard of for Minnesota.

Go Gophers!!

I haven’t seen Oturu going top 15 in any mock drafts. I also haven’t seen him in round 1 in a lot if mocks. He should return to the U.

How cool would that be for Daniel and our BB program?! Love it.

Jones a much higher rated kid runs off to play for the "great coach K and Duke" in hopes of being a top ten pick....Oturu stays home plays for the much maligned Pitino and low and behold 2 years later Oturu blows up and Jones fades.

Jones a much higher rated kid runs off to play for the "great coach K and Duke" in hopes of being a top ten pick....Oturu stays home plays for the much maligned Pitino and low and behold 2 years later Oturu blows up and Jones fades.
Are you suggesting Jones would have increased his stock playing here ? 99% OF KIDS would rather play for Duke. There are far more reasons to pick Duke, that is a fact. They did not even offer Oturu and had three other recruits that year that were all picked higher than Daniel will be. Home fans somehow think that the program and coach they love is the ones that kids will. Jones got to play at Duke, for K, with Zion, at his brothers school. That is what he saw. I would have loved to have him here but completely understand why he went there. Duke will tell prospects how many players make the NBA and how much money they make in the NBA , how much they win, they get to go to Duke. That name means so much to kids. I never cheer for Duke but i know why kids love it.

Are you suggesting Jones would have increased his stock playing here ? 99% OF KIDS would rather play for Duke. There are far more reasons to pick Duke, that is a fact. They did not even offer Oturu and had three other recruits that year that were all picked higher than Daniel will be. Home fans somehow think that the program and coach they love is the ones that kids will. Jones got to play at Duke, for K, with Zion, at his brothers school. That is what he saw. I would have loved to have him here but completely understand why he went there. Duke will tell prospects how many players make the NBA and how much money they make in the NBA , how much they win, they get to go to Duke. That name means so much to kids. I never cheer for Duke but i know why kids love it.
Wow that statement really triggered you. I feel czar was stating only exactly what happened. Higher rated jones goes to blue blood and lower rated oturu comes to struggling u of m. 2 years later oturu is a higher rated nba prospect. Anything else outside of that is speculation. What offers dan may have had or not had is hard to say because he committed early. If roles had been reversed who knows what might have had happened. Dan was likely the better prospect anyway and the chips fell where did.

Wow that statement really triggered you. I feel czar was stating only exactly what happened. Higher rated jones goes to blue blood and lower rated oturu comes to struggling u of m. 2 years later oturu is a higher rated nba prospect. Anything else outside of that is speculation. What offers dan may have had or not had is hard to say because he committed early. If roles had been reversed who knows what might have had happened. Dan was likely the better prospect anyway and the chips fell where did.
I think your likely right. I t a message board. My feeling is K had a priority on point guard and Jones was his priority.

Maybe it would have increased his stock, maybe he would have become a better player. It definitely would have demanded more of him. It definitely would have given him more opportunities and that combination can lead to pushing you further and becoming a better player. If you are on an all star team, you can step back and let someone else strap the team on their back. When its all you there is no one to hide behind, it forces a lot more of you.

Regardless it is a recruiting story I would tell when competing against the blue bloods every time. Duke telling prospects how many players made it to the NBA is a joke. If you get all the 5 star players, then of course you are going to have a lot get into the NBA, not because of Duke but because of the players.

Telling you what recruits think. They think they will get better coaching at Duke and a better basketball experience at a more revered school. No one rates our coach or program as better than coach K and his program. There is not a ranking that shows Minnesota or Pitino as highly regarded.

Telling you what recruits think. They think they will get better coaching at Duke and a better basketball experience at a more revered school. No one rates our coach or program as better than coach K and his program. There is not a ranking that shows Minnesota or Pitino as highly regarded.
Either you are missing the general point or you just like to bring up how duke is better than minnesota. We all know why kids would choose duke, historically it is a superior program. No one here is going to debate that. You can throw out duke/mn out of it. It would be interesting to see how top 50 kids choosing an avg program vs a blue blood fared long term.

Either you are missing the general point or you just like to bring up how duke is better than minnesota. We all know why kids would choose duke, historically it is a superior program. No one here is going to debate that. You can throw out duke/mn out of it. It would be interesting to see how top 50 kids choosing an avg program vs a blue blood fared long term.
I get the point. My point is what kids are thinking. The blue bloods will crush the top 50 versus average programs and even more so against below average. Kids love Kentucky, Duke, UNC, Arizona. That is who gets the media attention, that is the gear they wear.The numbers for the top 100 over the last 5 years are tracked for every conference . I will see if i can pull them for top 50.

Built, there you go again promoting a program that you know cheats and you say has a sleazy coach. You personally are encouraging cheat by the glowing adulation and idolization of Duke. You claim you are against the programs that cheat and that they hurt the sport, but here you are in full “fanboy” mode drooling over how great it is to play for such a program. That is why the problems exist.

I get the point. My point is what kids are thinking. The blue bloods will crush the top 50 versus average programs and even more so against below average. Kids love Kentucky, Duke, UNC, Arizona. That is who gets the media attention, that is the gear they wear.The numbers for the top 100 over the last 5 years are tracked for every conference . I will see if i can pull them for top 50.
So obviously cheating pays. All of those schools are successful because they cheat. Anyone who promotes these programs is a part of the problem because they turn a blind eye to the cheating. The results justify the means because they get the rewards without any punishment.

Steering this back to the NBA draft for a second....I'd like Daniel to go #1 overall! But just because I say that or Shooter says he's going top 15 doesn't necessarily make it so.

Nor is he even assured to be drafted ahead of Jones, hopefully he will be but we gotta wait to see.

Steering this back to the NBA draft for a second....I'd like Daniel to go #1 overall! But just because I say that or Shooter says he's going top 15 doesn't necessarily make it so.

Nor is he even assured to be drafted ahead of Jones, hopefully he will be but we gotta wait to see.
He will be drafted ahead of Jones guaranteed. Way more potential.

He will be drafted ahead of Jones guaranteed. Way more potential.
Absolutely more potential...no argument but...and I zero idea what the board looks like for point guards...but if a team likes Jones and he is the best available and that is their roster need it's not automatic. Plus some have Oturu in round two.
I do 100% agree Daniel has more potential. Question is how far away is it in team's eyes?
Each guy only needs one team to fall in love with him.

So obviously cheating pays. All of those schools are successful because they cheat. Anyone who promotes these programs is a part of the problem because they turn a blind eye to the cheating. The results justify the means because they get the rewards without any punishment.
Yup. And BADGER is there, all the way.....

I said this weeks ago. Nothing has changed.

1591015917151.png

Built, there you go again promoting a program that you know cheats and you say has a sleazy coach. You personally are encouraging cheat by the glowing adulation and idolization of Duke. You claim you are against the programs that cheat and that they hurt the sport, but here you are in full “fanboy” mode drooling over how great it is to play for such a program. That is why the problems exist.
PLEASE READ CAREFULLY. it is was recruits think. Is fanboy a insult coming from someone who thinks this is a better choice for a highly sought after player. As a huge supporter of UVA i despise Duke but fully aware of what Tony Bennett was and is up against but he over came it by getting kids that fit, playing defense, building a culture. Instead of pretending he could recruit against them and the dream kids had of playing at Duke. It is delusional to think kids are not enthralled. Blame me if you want. FYI, fully agree that Oturu has far more potential and always did.

I haven’t seen Oturu going top 15 in any mock drafts. I also haven’t seen him in round 1 in a lot if mocks. He should return to the U.
I wonder if Bill Duffy floats that top-15 info on Oturu.

Top Bottom